OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Thanks mrs.oroblanco

I've scrolled through similar listings, but I'm still unclear as to why our grandpa's would say ... "why, back in '02 we used to have to walk a mile in the snow just to get to school!" (As well as other similar sayings ... but it was always "back in '02.")

From what I have been able to gather in my so called research, I've discovered that old sayings are usually connected to a single event. For example: "Where were you when President Kennedy was assassinated?" I realize this may not be the best example, but hopefully it illistrates what I'm getting at. Plus, most events of major significance are usually either Sports or War related. Thus ... the most notable event of 1902 that I can find is ...

The first ever Rose Bowl football game was played in Pasadena, California on January 1st, 1902 between Michigan and Stanford.

But whether this event initiated the saying ... "Back in '02," I'm not sure!

Thanks again,

Bob

P.S. To answer my own question about President Kennedy, I was sitting in my 6th grade classroom when the announcement was made. They excused us from school early that day, and I recall there was some confusion with the buses and all.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might have been an old saying just for your grandparents, I never heard that one.
Then again, my grandparents weren't even born then.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't find anything outstanding, either, that's why I posted the list - maybe there was something specific for your family.

Of course, Monty Python had that skit about that. "Back in ought 2, we had to walk in the snow, three miles to school, uphill both ways, in just our sneakers and no coats" "Oh, you had sneakers? We had to walk to school 4 miles, in our socks" "Oh, you had socks, did you? We went to school, walking through the snow, no coats, bare feet. We were freezing to death when we got home" "Oh, you had a home, did you? We had to live in a shack, with holes in the walls" "Oh, you had a shack - we had a box to live in" "A box? We wish we had a box - we had to sleep in the middle of the street. Had to get up every morning, three hours before we went to sleep"

"Yep, yep, yep - try to tell that to the younger folks today, and do they believe you? Nope, nope, nope"

B

OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Thanks ...

The "ought" 2 is a lead. But not the Monty Python part. Surely you didn't recall that whole line from memory. If you did, kudos!

Thanks again,

SodaBob

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D ;D

I'm sure the dialogue is not exact - but, it was from memory - I loved Monty Python!!!!

From this skit, to the one where the couple had too many kids and they say "It's medical experiments for the lot of you", the dead parrot, etc.

I had (here's a little age insight) their records.

B

OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I'm probably kicking a non-breathing horse with this topic, but if Monty Python used the phrase "Back in ought 2" then I can't be the only person in the world who has heard of it. I wonder where Monty Python got the line? I'm pretty sure he didn't originate it ... which brings us back to square one!

Please don't rack your brains over this ... I'll get over it soon!

Thanks,

Bob

OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I've been racking my brain over this ... and stumbled onto a saying that goes :

"Back in ought two the Spanish American war ended."

Interestingly, my grandfather was in the Spanish American war, (photo attached), but the saying I'm referring to does not originate with him or any other personal family member. Of this I'm sure!

Unless I or someone else comes up with a better answer, I'm going with the Spanish American war connection. Although I may never remember where I heard this saying voiced. I was too young when my grandfather passed away, and barely remember him as it is. My own father is still living, and although he also recalls the saying, he never used it and doesn't know it's origin either. Dad is 88 years young!

Photo is from 1897 when my grandfather was 17 years old.

Attachments

• Berthol Roy Spanish American War Photo.jpg
    Berthol Roy Spanish American War Photo.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Berthol Roy Spanish American War Photo.jpg
    Berthol Roy Spanish American War Photo.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 124

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread