is anyone using this?

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its called MagicJack. ?
its a home phone that you plug into your pc or mac
and it lets you make calls all over the USA.
they sell it at 7-11!!.... and a few other stores too.
I looked at my phone bill... for my land line and the
taxes are almost 14 bucks a month... just the taxes...so
i was thinking of trying this magicjack for 20 bucks a year.

does anyone use it? and does it work!?

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
I have thought of doing this myself, but never had. I will be intrested to hear the responses here.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
We have a friend who now lives in Alaska. She owns an appraisal business and makes alot of long distance calls, She swears buy it.

I'm going to pick one up for my wife and I when I'm in the city, I too was leery until she told us about it.

OP
OP
K*E*L*L*Y

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im honestly thinking of trying it.... i dont care about a land line.. at this point the
cost is so high its not worth it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://thecoffeedesk.com/news/index.php/2009/05/29/magicjack-review/

The End User License Agreement specifically states (as of this writing) that:

You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software will include advertisements and that these advertisements are necessary for the magicJack device to work … Our computers may analyze the phone numbers you call in order to improve the relevance of the ads.

By “Necessary to work”, they mean “completely optional for all practical purposes but we need something to pay the bandwidth/telephony costs”. Right. Surrender all privacy regarding who you call, because Big Brother is watching you, only using the “magicJack” instead of the conventional Telescreen (reference: George Orwell’s 1984).

Also, the EULA goes out of it’s way to protect the product’s parent company of any possible legal liability that may result from usage of the product. If you don’t believe me, read the current (as of this writing) EULA.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
jeff of pa said:

You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software will include advertisements and that these advertisements are necessary for the magicJack device to work … Our computers may analyze the phone numbers you call in order to improve the relevance of the ads.

By “Necessary to work”, they mean “completely optional for all practical purposes but we need something to pay the bandwidth/telephony costs”. Right. Surrender all privacy regarding who you call, because Big Brother is watching you, only using the “magicJack” instead of the conventional Telescreen (reference: George Orwell’s 1984).

Also, the EULA goes out of it’s way to protect the product’s parent company of any possible legal liability that may result from usage of the product. If you don’t believe me, read the current (as of this writing) EULA.

I guess I won't be getting one, I'll just foot the long distance bill as I've done for years.

Thanks Jeff

OP
OP
K*E*L*L*Y

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:

but dont you think the gov is already checking who we call?

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Hi Kelly,

Yes, I figure the government knows everything I speak about on the phone, I don't mind because I have nothing to hide.

But after reading Jeff's post and researching it, I don't want to listen to advertising(I hate commercials) and I do not want the company selling my number out to telemarketing agencies(or the numbers of the folks I call).

I think I will stick with the free nights and weekends on the cell phone.

If it works and you don't have telemarketers calling you like crazy in a couple months, let me know please, better you than me! ;D

Take care

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
My daughter in Mobile has the Magic Jack and has no problem at all.She says a small box comes up on your monitor and shows the calls you make and receive and on the other side there is about a one inch square that has some kind of ads but she never reads it and you can minimize it down to your toolbar so you never see it.But if your computer is off or in sleep mode,you can't get or make a call.You can either use your phone to dial or the keys on your monitor.

B

BIG61AL

[size=10pt]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!![/size]
magic jack is a piece of crap....we used for six months and it never worked right longer than ten minutes. Friends would call and it would never ring...we had to get all our voice mail on the net proving that magic jack did not get the internet connection screwed up. Our computers would constantly not function right as soon as we plug that nightmare in....DON"T BUY IT...it will screw up your internet and you won't get any phone calls......we paid for five trips for a telephone repairman to look at our lines and they never found a real problem until we told them about the tragic jack
Don't buy it or you will be sorry!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Something like Jack in a box?

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have one and have tried to use it. Unless you have broadband above 1.5meg, I suspect it will breakup the audio beyond being usability.

However, I love it for receiving calls. I can pick up my voice-mail messages from any PC that I have wherever I happen to be.

I've never gotten really high speed broad band since I've never been in a DSL environment. Always remote. When I get a home in town and can get a 3meg service, I'll call you (need your number by PM) and let you decide how well it works. My average connections are 800 to 1.3 meg in bandwidth and the ISP I use has some funky routing, so my voice gets broken up quite a bit for talking.

I suspect that with a high speed service and major ISP you'd be in reasonable shape. That's why I decided to spring for a five year contract, knowing with the service I had it wasn't really usable for long conversations.

Still looking for that in town property with DSL capability (that I can afford). :)

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always buy it and if it dose not work take it back and get your money back. I have done this with other items if they advertise it to work and it dosen't that is false advertising......Matt

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty scathing review here - To be fair, alot of other folks seem to like it, click the link if interested in readings tons of reviews, pro and con.

Lets start off by saying Please save yourself the head ache DONT BUY this product. The entire infomercial looks and sounds great but they dont tell you upfront is that its really not a 30 day trial but rather a 15 day trial cause after 15 days they charge your credit card like they did mine.

They dont tell you that if you ever have a problem you WILL NEVER speak to a live representative, cause the company does not have a telephone.

They dont tell you that they are going to redistribute your personal information to other customers in their database like they did mine

They dont tell you that if you wish to send your product back it will take them 45 days to issue you a refund.

They dont tell you up front that in order to have 24/7 phone access your computer can not go into hibernation or be shut off, imagine if you have an emergency at night time when your computer is usually off and dont have access to a phone,? or if you have a burglar and need to contact the police?

When you do call 911 they dont tell you that your actually speaking with a internet computer and not that of your local police department which by the way you have to be sure you give them all kinds of information Home address, name, phone #,etc) before they even dispatch anyone out to your home.(I dont know about you guys but I have small children, who are to young to memorize this information, and trust them to know that in a hectic situation/emergency thay are going to be able to assist this internet operator to get some help in time? I mean what if something ever happened to mommy or daddy and they needed the police but didnt know the information because their to young 5,yrs old?

They dont tell you that you can not make any phone calls that require you to input #s such as if you call your bank and have to input your ss# good luck because every number you press is multiplied by 2 try inputing your account # ssi# or anthing that is requiring verification data of you, sorry you can't so if the company your calling does not have a customer service rep wgile peek hours your out of luck.

They dont tell you that you have to dial your area code to make phone calls within your own city, so to call your next door neighbor you must first dial your area code.

They dont tell you that you can not be on your computer doing work because every time someone in your house picks up the phone or a call comes in a box pops up which you have to minimize, and yes you have to minimize it for every call going out or coming in , trust me its a pain especially when your spouse work is done primarily on the pc, try wrting a word,power point,excel, while every 10 seconds you have a box popping up on your working screen, now you can take care of this problem by simply unplugging your phone, thus eliminating anyone in the home using the phone, or receiving calls, but hey atleast you get your work done without any annoying boxes interupting you.

They dont tell you that once you connect the magic jack to your computer, your going to be using up your systems resources, & have to update all your pc's direct x functions, so if your not a computer garu your in trouble, or you can just call their tech support and speak with someone who can walk you through the process.... oh no wait sorry they have no live person you can talk to if you need any customer assistance or tech support you have to go online and chat with them. by the way good luck getting somone to log in to the chat area to assit you, lets just say that if its less then 2 minutes your one of the lucky ones.

I dont know about you folks but I wish someone would of told me all this before I spent my time and money buying this product cause now the end result is that I have no product as i sent them back and I have no money cause they have yet to date to issue a refund, and I cant speak with no one cause oh yeah there's no phone # to call the company , corporate or eitherwise. In cloing i hope i was able to save someone the ordeal and head aches I have gone through with this company, I just hope I get my money back, i'll keep trying its now been 18 days and counting since I spoke, sorry chatted with a customer service rep. If you do purchase this product I wish you all the luck , but i'm sure I will be reading more posts about this great $20 a year phone service, I guess its true what my dad always told me if something sounds to good to be true 9 out of 10 times it usually is.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Computer-Fraud/Magic-Jack/magic-jack-warning-dont-buy-in-4cgcb.htm#J78DE

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard about it, and have heard the good along with the bad.
I'll just stick with Skype and my FREE computer-to-computer video calls... for sometimes 5 to 6 hours at a time. :wink:

Bran <><

OP
OP
K*E*L*L*Y

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow at this point im not sure i even want to give it a try!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread