Save T-Net as T-Net

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Folks, I don't know about many of you, but I know that T-Net in it's present form has meant a lot to me.

I am starting a thread to show Marc we're interested in his retaining T-Net and managing it as it has been managed while I've been coming here.

I think I've been on here for eight or nine years. For several years, I only browsed, seeking information and viewing many of the finds. I finally joined, and while I'm not a frequent poster, I am a frequent visitor. I remember the upgrade the server drive which saw so many of us concerned that it only took days to enable the purchase of a new server (longer to convert but the member response was amazing).

Well, here is another chance. Once I complete this post, I will be going to paypal, and will make a voluntary cash contribution to [email protected]. My comment on the payment will say "Keep T-Net".

I have no financial interest in T-Net, but I have an enormous interest in it's continuing viability. I will do what I consider my share to make sure it continues to have a lasting value to all of us, not a commercial operation that throws marketing material at us all the time. A caring, family oriented kind of place that I can continue to use to learn more about our hobby, and the many interesting facets of the hobby all across this country.

I am continually amazed at the moderators ability to wade through the volume of posts that occur and to remove posts that many would find offensive. Marc's uncanny ability to design/code and implement changes that help us all amazes me, and I have been a support technician for information technology since 1967.

So here is the initial post for Save T-Net as T-Net.

Anyone who feels the same way I do about keeping T-Net viable and relatively unchanged should check your hearts and see if you too are inclined to make a voluntary gift to keep this as OUR site, and not some commercial operation owned by a set of investors.

If this is not appropriate, I'm sure the moderators have the ability to remove it quickly.

My thanks to Marc and each of the very professional moderators for the work they continue to do!

If you'd like to show your support, just say so on this thread!

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
billKY said:
OUR site, and not some commercial operation

T-net has ads, and some of those advertisers managed to get some of the forums removed.

That does not seem to indicate this is not a "commercial" operation.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
SWR said:
Marc, I support you decision to sell TreasureNet...please sell TreasureNet for as much as you can get! The ultimate fantasy every webmaster/domain owner/business owner has....sell for a profit. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

I don't recall seeing any mention of Marc selling the site, link?

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Lasivian said:

Where have you been? Sometimes the WEBSITE FOR SALE appears as a banner sentence at the top of the page. There has also been much talk about it, and a few threads.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Lasivian said:
SWR said:
Marc, I support you decision to sell TreasureNet...please sell TreasureNet for as much as you can get! The ultimate fantasy every webmaster/domain owner/business owner has....sell for a profit. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

[/quote

best offer over six figures was the last price i heard. siegfried schlagrule

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks Bill and all... there is no doubt TreasureNet is my baby. I have the birth marks to show for it!

Selling one's baby is not always the easiest thing to do. (yes, it is for sale) However, recently, I have been losing my ability to run and manage it... you know how teenagers can be! I think it's time to put this kid into a more rigorous hands, like boot camp! This baby needs a drill sergeant!

I remember the server drive too, and yes it was absolutely amazing AND humbling. Thanks to EVERYONE who contributed.. you literally resurrected TNet at that time from it's own popularity, the old server simply could not handle the traffic growth!

There are currently FOUR interested parties in acquiring TNet. Three of them are TNet members, one of them is from outside TNet.

Someone floated the idea of selling shares. I am not opposed to this, I am just not an attorney, nor am I in a good position to hire one!

I am mulling over some options. I would love to be able to stay on board in SOME capacity.... designer, advisor, sub-admin, crazy good-for-nothing, whatever... I too would like to see TNet remain in it's current form for the most part, although I would also like to see new features that are above my technical ability, such as a high end finds database, mapping software, etc. etc. etc. (I would also like to use it to make an announcement when I finish my own personal project which has been sitting on the back burner for a couple of years now - another reason I could use some funds!)

To be honest, the site needs new management..... it also needs an ad sales person or two, (it has SO much untapped potential) and it needs at least one talented database guru.

My intention in selling is two fold. One, to put enough coin in my pocket to return to the States, and finish a certain unfinished house remodel that is sitting there rotting away... (at the same time finishing my personal project) and two, to see it gets the three new positions mentioned in the previous paragraph! I really want to see TreasureNet taken to the next level, and NOT go POOF! (and it could :( )

Anyway, I appreciate your post and help Bill, and all the responses. I am always open to your ideas, suggestions, and feedback. Maybe a group of TNet investors makes sense, but they would need some strong business and management background - to make sure this baby lives a long and prosperous life!

Thanks everybody!

Marc

p.s., attached is a pdf file of our 3rd party (Google analytics) stats.... for the forum server only... in case you are interested in what kind of traffic TreasureNet generates.... it is NOT insignificant! Imagine running a store with 75,000 unique visitors a month! The fact I am even considering selling for less than SEVEN figures is painful in itself! If you look at the stats, you might notice Pennhurst insane asylum, I find that funny and odd, and can only assume it is because the stats are from the time around Halloween, and this post... apparently the Discovery channel recently ran some programs about it.

HTML:

<embed src="/stats.pdf" width="770" height="5375">

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Marc you know we all LOVE you and T-net but, you have to do what is best for you and your family! So if you can't own it I do hope you can still have some say so in things and will be very active on here, also hope if your comming back to the states that you might be able to show up at some events so we can meet you! :hello:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
T net T net Tnet ... Market value? very interesting.

S

stefen

The sole purpose of a business is to make money...and to do so, the founder must put his money at risk...two profound statements most n on-business oriented people do not fully understand...

As Venture Capitalists investors evaluate a potential candidate, the investment opportunity requires a range of "Return vs Capital Invested".

Realistically, in order for a sale of 7 figures ($1,000,000.00), TN needs to demonstrate a positive cash flow with a Gross Income vs Net Profits...in addition to a substantially supported 'Blue Sky' market appeal.

Additionally, it must be assumed that there is a given percentage of assets which forms the backbone of TN...as well as liabilities...and potential long term risks.

In short, there are numerous entrepreneurs that put their personal money at risk in order to assure a continued annual income. Some of these businesses are the life support of generation after generation of the original founder, other continue for years and are absorbed by employee purchases or by competitors, and lastly, many just evaporate having met the needs of the founder.

When a business is at a stage whereby its asking price far exceeds its income, the owners must make financial decisions which may challenge pride.

Possibly, the realistic asking price includes a decimal point and 2 zero's to the right.

Then the question is can the potential New Owners of TN take TN to another level to be run as a restructured business and include changes such as full annual membership dues for all members, advertisement, and the like for maximum profit.

Another potential scenario is to take on a leadership partner that has a 'proven track record' of improving the bottom line of a business in a positive manner.

Certainly is a challenging position for both buyer and seller.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alexa show good numbers for your site as well :thumbsup:

Brian

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hope this site is able to survive! If i does go "poof", I have no idea what I will do with 4 or 5 hours a day??? Hopefully a current TNET member will make the purchase and keep the set-up the same. This site is WAY more user friendly than any other site I visit. Easy to view new posts, search, make posts, etc. I just love the way it works and would hate to see it go.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I am pretty sure everyone knows my oppinion on this...I love Tnet and have made so many good friends through here....If I had the money I would buy it...maybe if I hit that lucky cache....While a website is a website....its the loyal followers that ultimately make it a success or not.....and as far as I can see,Tnet has the best followers around.
If Marc gets an offer he cant refuse,then all the best to him....I just hope the new owners will have as much vision and be as family orientated as he has been.

S

stefen

Gypsy Heart said:
I am pretty sure everyone knows my oppinion on this...I love Tnet and have made so many good friends through here....If I had the money I would buy it...maybe if I hit that lucky cache....While a website is a website....its the loyal followers that ultimately make it a success or not.....and as far as I can see,Tnet has the best followers around.
If Marc gets an offer he cant refuse,then all the best to him....I just hope the new owners will have as much vision and be as family orientated as he has been.

When it all shakes out, you are absolutely correct.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread