Buying a Car

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
gawd...what an ordeal! I am NOT finding any joy in this process whatsoever.

Yes, I must find a new ride since my car was totaled 11/13. Oh and for all youse guys out there with women driver jokes, save em...a guy was driving the car that rear-ended me at 50 mph!!!!!

Toyota vs Ford...that's where I stand right now.

any insight, tips, sage advice?

S

stefen

Since you, as a buyer in this weakened economy, need to be responsible to see that whatever you purchase will help to stabilize the current and future economic status of the United States.

To purchase imported products further weakens our economy.

Please don't take this as flag waving or Obamanizing the situation...its simply being a responsible purchaser.

I recently experienced the same delima and chose to purchase a Ford Explorer for numerous reasons...by doing so, it maintained an employment base and the money spent circulated throughout numerous businesses, not just the sales tax.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
BUT isn't Ford assembled in Mexico?

I AM trying to make the best decision possible. And the Toyota I'm looking at is 70% American Parts, etc...

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I am looking as well. The Toyota I am looking at is assembled in Kentucky. I believe that the people who work at that plant live in KY so the paychecks they make go to support the local economy and the vehicle will have a higher resale value in the long run, plus I like the style of the vehicle and its features. since you are the one that will be driving it, buy what you like, what you feel safe driving and what is the best economic decision for you.

One of the major issues with US auto companies and the Unions today is that they feel they can "Wave the flag" and make you buy a substandard product out of a sense of patriotic guilt.

I say the best product made is the one I want to buy.

sorry about your wreck and good luck with your choice.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
mastereagle22 said:
I am looking as well. The Toyota I am looking at is assembled in Kentucky. I believe that the people who work at that plant live in KY so the paychecks they make go to support the local economy and the vehicle will have a higher resale value in the long run, plus I like the style of the vehicle and its features. since you are the one that will be driving it, buy what you like, what you feel safe driving and what is the best economic decision for you.

One of the major issues with US auto companies and the Unions today is that they feel they can "Wave the flag" and make you buy a substandard product out of a sense of patriotic guilt.

I say the best product made is the one I want to buy.

sorry about your wreck and good luck with your choice.

Thanks for your input MasterEagle! I'm discovering that Union folk are worse than PETA people. My husband is president of his local...so therein lies the problem. But I'M the one making payments, unless the union wants to pitch in...then I'll buy a Ford :wink:

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
I'd go Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi, its one of the best 4 wheel drive systems on the market with the quadra drive 2 and eaton locker and its one of the fastest SUV's out there with the 330HP Hemi plus they look cool and can tow 7500lbs. ;D If you want more speed the 6.1l grand cherokee runs a 12.5 1/4 mile and has faster 0-60 times than a Viper for a mere 42k price tag. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Jimmy(PA) said:
I'd go Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi, its one of the best 4 wheel drive systems on the market with the quadra drive 2 and eaton locker and its one of the fastest SUV's out there with the 330HP Hemi plus they look cool and can tow 7500lbs. ;D If you want more speed the 6.1l grand cherokee runs a 12.5 1/4 mile and has faster 0-60 times than a Viper for a mere 42k price tag. :thumbsup:

Um Jimmy... that doesn't sound very "green"

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
vibes said:
Jimmy(PA) said:

In the green vs. fun battle I say fun wins. ;D

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Toyota has a better product at a cheaper initial investment and higher resale on the way out. There's no comparison in my book. Insurance and registration would be cheaper too as they are most often based on percentage of purchase price.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Jimmy(PA) said:
vibes said:
Jimmy(PA) said:

In the green vs. fun battle I say fun wins. ;D

I wish I could afford all THAT fun:)

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Urban Prospector said:
Toyota has a better product at a cheaper initial investment and higher resale on the way out. There's no comparison in my book. Insurance and registration would be cheaper too as they are most often based on percentage of purchase price.

Thanks UrbanP! I think I've made my decision. Now wish me luck in the negotiations process.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
No automobile is green... unless you're talking about the color.

Buy a used anything and save a ton of money.

Ops - your mind is made up.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Montana Jim said:

I agree with Jim. It may not help the automobile industry much, but buying used just makes so much sense on so many levels.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
af1733 said:
Montana Jim said:

I agree with Jim. It may not help the automobile industry much, but buying used just makes so much sense on so many levels.

Ok, ok, ok...point made and taken. No car is green. Now...I don't get a tax rebate on used. AND, I had my car for 13 years (i almost cried when they towed it)...so another reason to go new.

Seriously...I need bargaining tips...like how much to ask. Is there a formula like so much per thousand???

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
There are places around on the net that give basic price info, do some homework. The most important tool in my opinion is logic over love. Use your head not your heart and never believe a word the sales person says if they don't back it in writing. Don't be afraid to say no or even walk away. If your salespuke isn't doing it for you get another one. They compete even in the same dealership so play them against each other. Their job is to get every penny they can out of you and your job is to save every penny. Do not be afraid to make a ridiculously low offer to get the ball rolling, but remember any offer you make must be met if they accept. Good luck, it's actually quite enjoyable if you look at it as a competition and watch for "tells" like in a poker game.. As soon as one squirms or blinks they'll bring in the closer to throw you off your game. If you don't like the way your treated take your business elsewere.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
I'd watched out buying used unless you get a good warranty. Every car i've ever traded in had a ton of issues. =D Its nice having something brand new with a warranty, you pay more but sometimes it pays off in the long run. I bought a used mustang before I got this car and 2 weeks after I got it I spun a bearing and blew the head gasket doing 115 which cost me 5k for a new engine and labor.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
A few buying "tips"

1. Write down what you absolutely will NOT pay more than and put it in your pocket. DO NOT PAY MORE THAN THIS EVER!!!
2. Make sure you have the car dealer include the mats, they are included in the price the dealership pays, they pull the mats out first thing the car hits the lot and then charge you $$$$$ for the mats.
3. Be willing to walk away.
4. NEVER tell the salesman that you "love" the car
5. Do NOT let the salesman show you something they think will be exactly what you want, you will be the one driving the car. The salesman may have hidden incentive to sell you a car you might not otherwise buy.
6. If a salesman makes a claim or statement ask him to put it in writing.
7. Get your own financing unless they guarantee 0% financing.
8. Do not extend your loan for any longer than you want to get a lower price. If you want to pay $300 a month don't take a loan for 72 months to get the payment there, buy less car.
9. Do not pay dealer prep fees
10. Go to consumer reports and pay the $20 or so dollars to get the invoice on the car you want. It will tell you how much the dealer paid and what kind of profit they will be making off of you.
11. If you have a trade in, do NOT tell them up front, set the price first then bring the trade-in into the picture, (not your situation since your car was totaled)
12. If possible go during the week middle of the day
13. Remember above ALL ELSE the salesman/woman and the Credit/Finance people at the dealership are NOT your friends. their job is to seperate you from your money and make as much profit as they can.
14. Read the fine print, if there are any rebates on the car, sometimes these rebates are included in the fine print and a non-savvy buyer doesn't realize they have given up their right to money. I lost $1500 this way once.

Hope these help.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Thank you... to everyone. I feel confident and a bit more relaxed about this process.

:-*

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Just a couple I would add:
1) Don't forget to check the manafactures web site for rebates, cash back, and incentives. No law says a dealer has to disclose all of these to you. Lets say they give you a $1500 rebate and through negociations you work out an extra $1500 from the dealership. After buying the car you go to the Toyota(just pullin a name out of the hat) website and find they have a $1500 rebate AND a $1500 cash back. The dealership gave you nothing that was not already yours. So be sure you are aware of EVERYTHING that the manafacturer of your vehicle offers BEFORE you walk on the lot.

2) Secure financing BEFORE you go to the dealer. Many times you will get a better rate from the dealership when they learn that you do not have to finance with them. It puts the ball in your court.

Thats all, and good luck. Mastereagle has a lot of great tips indeed! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread