Have you ever gotten lost? Lets hear your story!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever gotten lost? Let's hear your story!

It's raining, and cold, so here is a story.

I was following a trail in the woods that was supposed to lead to an old abandoned log cabin. Loaded up with my backpack, detecting gear and water I walked. After an hour or so I came upon a split in the trail. I didn't know which trail went where I wanted to go so I just went with my instincts and took the one I thought was right. As I kept going the trail got smaller and smaller and finally ended up at a reeded marsh where it split AGAIN. By this time I was at least 3 to 4 miles from where I started and I did not know where I was going, so decided to go back.

As I got back to the original fork, everything looked different. I was tired, getting leg cramps, out of water and was disoriented. At this point I could not have cared less for finding that old log cabin...all I wanted was to get back to my truck! So off I went, unknowing at that moment that I had taken the "other" trail and not the one back to my truck. The trail started a steep decent, and it was then that I realized I was on the wrong trail! I was LOST!

My heart was racing now. It was getting dark and colder, my legs were cramping bad when through the thick wooded silence I heard the crackling sound of branches breaking further down trail! What is it I thought? A mountain lion? Bigfoot? I just stood there, my mind and heart both racing in fear!

Immediately I heard labored footsteps and a flash of light! At that moment appeared a shadowy figure in the twilight. "It's going to be pitch dark in a while. you'd best be makin' quick tracks if ya want to get back to the trailhead" "Yeah, lets get going! I'll follow you out!."

It WAS pitch dark when I finally made it back to the truck....thanks to a friendly local hiker.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Have you ever gotten lost? Let's hear your story!

Nice story tee. What part of the Sierra's was it? North of Bishop? I used to fish Convict and Crawley lakes.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

When my brother and I were teenagers, we would go to visit my Grandfather. He lived in a valley in the mountains of Pennsylvania. One day we decided to go on a hike in the woods. We were out most of the day and my brother was getting a bit nervous because it was getting late and he realized that he did not know how to get back to town. Tried to calm him down but he just kept getting more and more upset.

Finally told him that the town is in a valley, we are up on the mountain. Listen and you can hear the river that runs through the valley. Head down hill and you will find the river. Just past the river a mile or so is the main road. Get to the road, stick out your thumb and get a ride back to town.

He calmed down a bit and we did just that and we all lived happily ever after. My brother never wanted to go hiking with me again. ;D

Ray S ECenFL

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think if you are in the outdoors enough you are bound to get turned around sooner or later. Its a scary feeling. Glad you are here to tell your story and the hiker came along.
HH
TnMountains

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was exploring around a lake, looking for arrowheads, when I started to go back to my truck, it was getting close to sundown & the weather report called for freezing rain that night.
I followed a creek for a while, then a deer trail through the brush, went up the wrong hill, by that time I was in 'almost panic mode', so I backtracked (in a trot), followed the creek upstream until I found the hwy.
I had mental pic's of me huddled under a tree root until dawn came. :-\

Fossis..............

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

texastee2007 said:
thrillathahunt said:
Nice story tee. What part of the Sierra's was it? North of Bishop? I used to fish Convict and Crawley lakes.

a place called North Fork....we had named the place that was extremly hard to get into....jeep, chainsaw, pile rocks and lumber...Mike's Camp...after a man named Mike Conrotto...my dad worked for him as a truck driver and we all hunted and fished together. It was an amazing place...in the spring you could pick up lady bugs with shovels...and we did many times to take home and put on the citrus trees. we would fill Folger Coffee cans up. It is where I learned to shoot, fish and almost set the whole Sierra's on fire....but that is another story...that could have ended real bad....mom never ever complained about being the only one to start the fire in the morning ever again....LOL
hmm sounds like Whiskey Creek i got lost up there for half a day. 8)

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i know the area ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions