Best way to give anonymously to friends?

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have good friends for whom this will not be a very Merry Christmas due to the circumstances common to a lot of people these days (laid off, hours being cut, etc.). The situation is especially bad for a young family of five that are dear friends.

I've been very fortunate and I'd like to help but I know they'll refuse outright if I offer something. So I'd like to send them something anonymously and could use some suggestions. The only condition is it must remain a secret because they'll go ballistic if they find out it's me.

I thought maybe a Walmart gift card mailed with an unsigned Xmas card?

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
One or two boxes of checks. One or two bags of sugar powder. Allot of peanut butter. Mix all together in a bowl and you have peanut butter sugar powder candy.. Or you could make cookies.

Immy said:
I have good friends for whom this will not be a very Merry Christmas due to the circumstances common to a lot of people these days (laid off, hours being cut, etc.). The situation is especially bad for a young family of five that are dear friends.

I've been very fortunate and I'd like to help but I know they'll refuse outright if I offer something. So I'd like to send them something anonymously and could use some suggestions. The only condition is it must remain a secret because they'll go ballistic if they find out it's me.

I thought maybe a Walmart gift card mailed with an unsigned Xmas card?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
good ideal civil but think they need a bit larger type help (*say a weeks worth of food)--rather than a 1 time snack type gift

a wal mart type gift card mailed in a unsigned christmas card in a envelope with no return address on it should do the trick -- simply sign it "wishing you a merry christmas"

there is no x mas -- its --christ mass -- so keep the christ in christmas --malcom x -- is that what X mas stands for ?

stilldign

Oct 21, 2007
Immy,
I really don't have any ideas to help you out. Just wanted to say that those folks are lucky to have someone like you as a friend. Times are tough, and lately it seems as though the hearts of the people are turning to stone. Glad to see that your heart is still made of flesh.
God Bless you.
stilldign

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I'm equally lucky to have them as friends. Their kids are the greatest and are being raised right, which is no small feat these days.

For Ivan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

It wasn't my intention to exclude Christ and indeed, the X doesn't signify that.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're alright, Immy. God bless you for bein concerned about them kids, cause Christmas is pretty much all about the kids anyway. I think the anonymous route will be the best way, as there really might be a Santa Claus still.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I was being a wise guy -- too many PC type folks use X mas rather than "christmas" on signs -- which is short for "christ mass" * the greek letter X does stand for chi -- ( abr --for christ ) but most do not mean it in that manner when they use ---X mas -- I see it as a cop out by PC merchants who take the christ out of christmas

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know a box of groceries left on their doorstep might be a start. :hello2: :icon_sunny:

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
You know a box of groceries left on their doorstep might be a start. :hello2: :icon_sunny:

When I was much younger and lived in a large apartment complex a neighboring family living on the floor below me got ran into financial trouble and the husband abandoned the wife and three kids. The neighbors all talked about it but nobody did anything to help. Then one day five or six large boxes of groceries appeared stacked in front of her door... didn't even make a dent in my pantry. She never knew where they came from but they surely did disappear inside her apartment. :dontknow:

Since those days my wife and I just take the needy one grocery shopping and let 'em pick out what they want. You'd be surprised how they get into it when you keep encouraging them to put more things into the cart, even grabbing a few items you know they can use and put it in there yourself. :laughing9:

My only rule, no tobacco, no alcohol.

If you have a warehouse club membership, like Sam's Club or Costco you can pile up a lot of groceries in short order. :sign13:

-dustcap :hello:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gift cards in the mail are a great idea.

Something that a few of my friends and myself have done in the past. The giver would do the shopping and then have their friend deliver the goods to the receiver. The friend would dress as Santa and deliver the goods. We were always careful to use a friend from a different aspect of our lives so that no connection could be made and having them dress as Santa Claus would just reinforce the anonymity.

Kudos to helping out especially during these trying times.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
Wrap up a gun, something like a heavy frame Dan Wesson .357 with an eight inch barrel, and leave it on their doorstep. Then you simply ring the bell, run away, and feel good.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dear Dear plehbah, I'm extending my office hours this Christmas season for individuals such as yourself who may need to vent their pent-up emotions. Please feel free to give me a call.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
plehbah said:
Wrap up a gun, something like a heavy frame Dan Wesson .357 with an eight inch barrel, and leave it on their doorstep. Then you simply ring the bell, run away, and feel good.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dear Dear plehbah, I'm extending my office hours this Christmas season for individuals such as yourself who may need to vent their pent-up emotions. Please feel free to give me a call.

I think its a quite generous gift. Probably worth around $500. :hello2:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
so long as there no bodies attached to it --I'll happily take a dan wesson 357 pistol anytime -- christmas, birthday , arbor day you name it --feel free to drop it off in a box :wink: :icon_thumright: ;D

I do not recommend you be holding it in hand at the front door to hand over however :thumbsup:

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you decide to mail something, simply put their address in the to space, and use it as the return address as well.

The be sure to mail it from another part of your area, so they don't look for the benefactor in their postal area.

You can even (if you're willing to risk it) wrap bills in a couple sheets of typing paper and mail them, again from outside your area. The hard plastic card in an evelope is more likely to be recognized as a possible source of funds than the bills securely wrapped in blank heavy bond would be.

Be blessed!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walmart card taped to cardstock and mailed in shipping envelope would be my choice, as BillKy says both the to, and from address are the same...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread