After 11 months, I might finally have a job

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
An old friend of mine gave me 'the call' about his team needing some folk to do some infrastructure work on toll roads. It's not my cup of tea, but I can darn well do it. He told me about the opportunity, and I said 'heck yeah'. So this is pretty much a guaranteed job.

I've been doing contract work for a while now out of my own home, and if I do get this job, It'll be a welcome opportunity, because I don't think I'm the person that can take another 'stupid client' (I take for granted that a client knows minimal electronic skills, but that's never the case and I always get frustrated).

Just the other day I said, "do you know what a wire-nut is".... it took me 15 minutes to describe it to him and he still didn't get it.

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mike im glad you finally found a job... ;D

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a job, mikeofaustin, take it and good luck! The best thing is, you're back in the market and it could lead to better positions if you show them what you can do. And I'll admit, I don't know offhand what a wire nut is. I'm happy for you.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Congrats on your new job Mike. I hope everything works out great for you. Nice timing, just
before Christmas.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours,

Ray

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to getting back to the real world, versus consulting... BUT, I just got a request for quote from a new client, and I quoted $14K. ...all the while hoping he wouldn't bite because I might not have time anymore. Wouldn't you know it, he just told me my 25% retainer is in the mail!!!! Dab-nab it.

I'm a victim of my own success..

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I had the interview and I blew them away. Normally, I have so-so interviews, but this one I can saw I blew them away!!! But heres the bad news. I found out that the position had a lot, A LOT, of travel in it. I was told that I might be gone 2 months out of the year on travel.

I dont' have anyone at home but myself and my two wonderful doggies. I'll have to wait until they give me the official offer before I pull my buddy off to the side and ask a little more about this.

Also, turns out it's not a .Gov job (which I first thought). But they do exclusive work JUST for the government. And my buddy's brother started the bizz in '95.

Man, I don't know about 2 months travel out of the year. If I had a family to take care of the house and dog's while I was gone, I woudn't have a seconds thought.

darn,darn,darn.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
I once worked for a contractor that built waste water treatment plants, all over the country, their entire crews were all travellers, and they gave you a stipend to pay for a hotel room and at times even your food. Find out if they do pay for your boarding, if so, take the dogs with you. The upside to all of this is that it will put you in different areas of the country that you rarely get the chance to be, therefore giving you some new and wide opportunities for metal detecting on your off time. I wish I had an opportunity like that, I would be all over it!

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Cap'n Crunch said:
I once worked for a contractor that built waste water treatment plants, all over the country, their entire crews were all travellers, and they gave you a stipend to pay for a hotel room and at times even your food. Find out if they do pay for your boarding, if so, take the dogs with you. The upside to all of this is that it will put you in different areas of the country that you rarely get the chance to be, therefore giving you some new and wide opportunities for metal detecting on your off time. I wish I had an opportunity like that, I would be all over it!

Yeah, before I had my dogs, I had a job traveling. I loved it (except for the flights). I loved getting to the destination and afterwords being able to take in the local lime life.

However, after I never got the call back from my interview, I realize now that I probably gave a 'too good' of an interview. You see, during the interview I gave them everything they needed to know about what they were doing wrong, and what software to get, etc., to do it right. So I'm now guessing that I gave too much away. For example, they showed me one of their 'schematics' and I told them right away that the person that created these was probably spending weeks just creating this one page. I told them how to do it in just 10 seconds.

I screwed myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread