Why Do People Put Rare Coins In Salvation Army Kettles?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S

stefen

In my opinion, I think that there are many older citizens that have collectable coins that they releize are old and may have value, but have no idea as to the potential of that value.

In turn, they dig through their drawers and cute little coin purses or old heart-shaped chocolate candy boxes and make their meager and unselfish contribution.

If only they knew that they have been eating cat food for years because their Social Security check is inadequate to substain a normal lifestyle, yet with or without knowledge, they gave away thousands of dollars in donations.

Possibly, the Salvation Army should purchase 'Canned Tuna' with the proceeds of the rare coins and provide the food to a local "Meals-On-Wheels" or Elderly Community Center as partial compensation.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Think it's a Publicity thing Myself.

Somone who Supports The Salvation Army Regularly
goes to a Coin dealer sometime during the Year & Buy a gold
Coin, then Deposits it
this time of year to
get people all warm & Fuzzy about giving.

& then you also get Copy Cats.

don't personally think it's wrong,
but do think it's for publicity

S

stefen

So far we have logically explained about Tennessee and Indiana...

Now what about Washington and other places?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, I don't think it is for publicity as the donations are anonymous. There are some long standing traditions by certain organizations and families that have been maintained by members thereof. Often, when a person sees these acts of generosity it motivates them to do what they can.

Unless your inferring that someone affiliated with the Salvation Army is doing this "to get the ball rolling". I guess that to would be a possibility.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginThePast said:
Jeff, I don't think it is for publicity as the donations are anonymous. There are some long standing traditions by certain organizations and families that have been maintained by members thereof. Often, when a person sees these acts of generosity it motivates them to do what they can.

Unless your inferring that someone affiliated with the Salvation Army is doing this "to get the ball rolling". I guess that to would be a possibility.

I Meant Publicity For the Salvation Army.
either by workers or just somone who
knows the salvation army gets free worldwide
publicity every time a gold
coin shows up. it's very smart actually.

Which also Brings out those who
maybe have $500.00 to donate
but don't care about the write off
who decide to copy cat by buying a gold coin
and dropping it in so their local bucket
hits the news.

B

BIG61AL

its a gimmick...how come you never hear that happening to other charities. No one buys girl scout cookies with rare banknotes. No one puts gold coins in the donation jars on business counters.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its a slick way to donate without having a wad of bills in hand which would draw attention * -- and it makes folks think -- folks tend to be greedy by thier basic nature --and gold often thought of as the "lusting for riches" symbol of greed -- by throwing away gold its symbolic --your sheading your self of the "lust for money"

ever heard of a person putting 30 silver coins in the easter collection plate ( thus rejecting the worlds "juda's" price for turning against christ --30 pieces of silver) and redeeming one self of the lust of money. ?

I have.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
its a slick way to donate without having a wad of bills in hand which would draw attention * -- and it makes folks think -- folks tend to be greedy by thier basic nature --and gold often thought of as the "lusting for riches" symbol of greed -- by throwing away gold its symbolic --your sheading your self of the "lust for money"

ever heard of a person putting 30 silver coins in the easter collection plate ( thus rejecting the worlds "juda's" price for turning against christ --30 pieces of silver) and redeeming one self of the lust of money. ?

I have.

:thumbsup:

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being the Cynic that I am...

I always thought maybe someone put them in there just to see if they would actually make it to the donation box and in the system...or if they would make it into someone's pocket.

I assume the Sal Army would report such a great find and therefore the donor would know it made it to the system rather than a pocket.

I wish I could believe someone was being very generous...but its hard for me after seeing so much thievery in the world and watching politicians day in and day out...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread