Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive been out of town for 5 days sorry Ill try to update.

As far as I know the sighting is true as reported. Nothing else can explain the SOS in the sand. They werent made by crabs lol. I say its impossible to be an illusion. The pics were taken by a passenger 1000 feet up out of a window. The pilot circled the island several times.

One particular picture looks suspect but the other pics cannot be ignored.

Plehbah likes to joke, not a troll.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
texastee2007 said:
bigcypresshunter said:

As far as I know the sighting is true as reported. Nothing else can explain the SOS in the sand. They werent made by crabs lol. I say its impossible to be an illusion. The pics were taken by a passenger 1000 feet up out of a window. The pilot circled the island several times.

at that distance...with a phone camera...would the pixels distort so much that a human form could still be made out if the picture was blown up really big? time for the tech folks to speak up...
Many times I have tried to take pictures of wildlife that were clear to me at the time but came back unidentifiable. I think this is what happened to the one pic. The more you try to blow it up, the more distorted it becomes.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xraywolf said:
FloridaTreasureFinder said:
I have not read the entire thread yet, but I am curious if anyone has raised the possibility of "total cannibalism" here.

"Total cannibalism" would be where the final survivor eats enough of himself to die, and then the remainder is carried away by crabs and gulls.
lol!! If that would of been the case, then their remains would of been found by their family. The family did make it to the island & collected some belongings of the two men.

This guys a pure troll, please don't feed him.

Since everyones saying he didn't radio in any info, and reported the alleged sighting to Bahamian authorities when he landed, I don't see any use speculating on this angle.

Plehbah has made over 7520 posts he may be some things but he is not a troll...

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SWR said:
bigcypresshunter said:

The pictures posted in this thread are of a tree. Are there other pictures to scrutinize?
Yes there are other pictures. The family believes they are the missing boaters but cannot be sure of the identity. The pilot has no doubt they were waving men and has been trying to help the family by flying then to Bimini free of charge.

Have you ever tried to take wildlife pictures of a deer, bear or wild hog? I agree the one picture looks very suspect and if the sighting was based on this one picture alone, there would be no evidence.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Xraywolf said:
bigcypresshunter said:

Yes, something else can explain it - A hoax.

I'll judge for myself what constitutes trolling.
Coming into a serious thread to offer up a cannibal theory qualifies in my book.
I have no idea of his "finds" and don't care to know, all I know is that, to me, he is a stalking troll.
He was joking about cannibals. It is a serious thread and maybe uncalled for but calling it a hoax is just as bad an insult to the family and you are not joking and you have already made it clear that you dont care about the missing men. Plehbah is an archaeologist that has been very helpful on this forum but I guess you didnt notice.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SWR said:
I'm not debating what the pilot saw/said. I simply stated the pictures provided in this thread are of a tree. Where are the other pictures located?
I dont know if I can find all the pics online, and I dont know if I want to search but are you saying that the other picture is the same? reply 129.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SWR said:
bigcypresshunter said:
SWR said:
I'm not debating what the pilot saw/said. I simply stated the pictures provided in this thread are of a tree. Where are the other pictures located?
I dont know if I can find all the pics online, and I dont know if I want to search but are you saying that the other picture is the same? reply 129.

The pictures of the "waving man"....in this thread is a tree. Different angles, same tree. I can't type it any simpler than that.

There is an eye witness pilot, eyewitness passengers on the plane, other pictures of 2 men on the island, and a large SOS written in the sand. I agree the one picture is very suspect and doesnt prove anything.

The picture taken from a different angle is obviously not a tree.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
texastee2007 said:
does anyone have Gps coordinates to the island...I would like to look at it from 1000' and see what I can see from that distance....I want to see if it is plausible to take a picture with a camera phone.
Was it a camera phone? If it was, that would explain the extreme distortion. I have had it happen to my wildlife pictures all the time when I tried to blow them up too far.

Im sorry I dont have the GPS coordinates. Im also not up on any current change of events as I have been away from a TV for 5 days in the swamp. I will try to update.

I was just trying to put in my 2 cents for those that seem to think the two families would make up a sad story such as this. I dont see anything that makes me think its a hoax and I have no personal connection to the missing men. If it was a hoax, they would simply say they drowned at sea. Why make up an island SOS story with pictures?

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SWR said:
bigcypresshunter said:
The picture taken from a different angle is obviously not a tree.

I don't quite think man and tree can occupy the same spot at the same time :-\
If its indeed the exact same spot from a different angle or a diffent sweep (he circled several times), then I would have to conclude that it is merely distortion from being enlarged too far with not enough pixels. I also dont think there are any trees that large on that island. Im thinking about the story where the family believes the 2 men were forced to huddle under a bush to escape the sun.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
texastee2007 said:
I tried to post a picture of a Google Earth shot of an Island from 1006' up...I couldn't even see the cars on the road, much less a man standing by one of the hotels...mmmm on the plane is not telling the story correctly. I wish someone on here could post a picture from 1000' in the air....thank you ahead of time.
Maybe thats the reason the pics are not clear. Blown up too far. I dont know. I dont see why anyone would make up the story. The SOS is very clear. One picture is very bad when blown up too far. I guess these are mostly honest attempts here at TN to solve this mystery. But I say one bad pic does not cancel out the other good pics.

I search a bit online. There is no more news. The story is old. The search is over. Only the family will suffer. Our lives will not change. Its too bad we dont know more about this.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If the only pic we had was the distorted one, we could rule it out as a possible tree but the other evidence and eyewitnesses have to be taken into consideration. I cant say with 100 percent certainty that it is not a tree but we cant say for sure it is either. I dont think that partucular picture proves anything. He could also be holding branches in his hands in an attempt to make homeade flags. But the pic is bad, blown up too far. We can only guess.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I haven't checked this thread in a while. I guess Xray thinks he's better that everyone ?
he'll probably change his avatar and come back and start something else, he just can't
help himself. LOL

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
texastee2007 said:
at a 1000' how does one see a human form...it is hard to see a truck at that distance....
Thats why the picture is so distorted. They probably noticed the larger SOS in the sand and upon closer examination were able to see men running and/or waving. According to your pic, it would be certainly possible IMO.
But look what happens when I zoom in. The pic is distorted.

Attachments

• 1000\' zoom.jpg
    1000\' zoom.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 169
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That is the reason survivors will write a large SOS in the sand or build a fire. The person may also have branches in his hands or it may just be background distortion. We also dont know if the pilot came down for a closer look. He circled several times.

IMO we dont know enough to try and scrutinize every detail of this story. If I hear anything on the news or the net I will post it. I think all we have here is another tradgedy of several that occured these past 2 weeks in the same area. They are gone, its over.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes I agree with you SWR that we can eliminate that picture. But if you are saying it is proof of anything, I disagree. That was the first pic send to WSVN Miami News by a passenger on the plane. Better pics surfaced later. It was just too far away to tell the difference between a tree and a person. I zoomed in on the trees in texasteas pic again to make a point.

I am not referring to you scrutinizing every detail. I am referring to the point that it was stated to be 1000 feet up.

Attachments

• 1000\' zoom2.jpg
    1000\' zoom2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 151

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were these guys ever found ? I took my 18ft Bayliner to bimini once. I ran out of fuel within sight of south bimini but had extra cans on board to get me into port.

The gulf stream is a wicked current and you must steer south of your intended course in order to hit bimini. I used just a plain map and compass and no GPS.

My guess is they ran out fuel and drifted north with the current. rough seas from the lack of forward motion would have swamped the boat. 17 footer is mighty small out there.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread