Anyone shooting a Remmington 700?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful, he might load up some pepperballs the next time y'all shoot and surprise you all. :laughing9:

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
Shortstack said:
Jimmy, I was just pulling your chain about the faux sniper business. :D I enjoy the long distance shooting, too. Anyone can shoot a bulls eye on an indoor range, but when it comes to reliably hitting a mansized target at a thousand yards in natural terrain, not everyone can do it. When I went through basic training in 1965 at Ft. Jackson, I hit every 350 meter target but got "buck fever" and pull off a shot at a 50 meter target using the M-14. (embarrassing as hell). :laughing7: Of course, it was "on the clock" shooting, too. We only had seconds to identify which target came up, aim, and fire. The targets were set at 50 m., 100m, 150m, 200m, 250m, and 350m, on hilly, natural terrain. A lot of fun using that peepsight on those.

The NATO round is the 5.56 mm (.223 cal.) The .308 is a 7.62mm. I worked with the minigun that uses the 7.62 rounds and was told it was the same as the Winchester .308 cal. Sooooo, if you had access to military surplus 7.62 ball ammo, you'll be able to build up a supply of "fun" shooting ammo.

Check out the dealer named Cheaper Than Dirt. You'll find a lot of interesting equipment buys as well as ammo. They're based in Texas, I think and they do have a website by that same name.

Just have fun, and stock up on plenty of ammo before the government decides to tack a humongous excise tax on it.

I always wanted to shoot an m14 but they are way out of my price range, my grandpop was drafted during the Korean War and told me after the first time at the range shooting the 30-06 m1 Garand's a few guys came back with black eyes. I was looking at Garands through the CMP but nice ones are upwards of a thousand. I might go the 30-06 route for the 700 but if i had a few hundred dollars more I would go Garand or 1903 since I love collecting ww1 and ww2 gear.

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
K*E*L*L*Y said:
Shortstack said:
The paintball gun thing made me curious. Thanks for going above and beyond in clearing my "fog".
Happy New Year, too, KELLY. :coffee2:

thanks you too....on the happy new year... and if you want a good laugh....
ask jim how well he paintballs... LMFAO!!!

Kelly you should just admit your love for me since we all know you want my sexy speedo body. ;D

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy, you can get the M-14 "twin" for about $1500 for the standard. It's called the M1A by Springfield Arms in the .308 cal.

I'm holding an M1A/Long Range series (with scope) for my nephew. It became his when his paternal granddad passed on. I bought my varmint rifle from him that was in that same inheritance group. He offered to "give" me my choice of weapons for my birthday and I told him that I KNEW he didn't really mean that. ;D He's currently a Navy PO1 assigned to a Marine Detachment as a member of a team that trains Combat Medics. Anybody who's ever been in the military would not give up an M-14 (in this case an M1A) so I made a deal with him on the Ruger M-77 in 22-250 cal. set up with a bi-bod and one h-- of a scope; for varmint hunting.

The first time I qualified on a military firing range, was with an M-1 Garand. The main thing to remember about that rifle was to NOT get the "M-1 Thumb". The M-1 was one of the best military rifles ever made, but it let the enemy know when you'd fired the last round in a clip because the empty clip made a loud ringing sound when it was ejected from the clip well. And if you weren't careful, the bolt would slam to on your thumb when you inserted the loaded clip; ergo, the "M1 Thumb". THAT hurt like hell, too. :laughing9:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack is right about the MIA, it is the sweetest iron I've shot. All 20 rounds of it. If I had to have just one gun, that would be it. For the life of me, I don't know why the military gave it up. I'm beefier than most, but the gun is not too much for me.

A National Match will be a delight to shoot long distance, but you'll never notice the NM designation except in your scores.

I had 2 700s in my life, a 222 RM and 30-06, and try as I may even with careful handloads, I could never get more than 1.5 MOA with either of them. Of course, you could rebarrel them if they didn't shoot well, but I traded them off.

Go with a 308, not 30-06.

If I've learned anything in life, it's not to have cheap guns, but go for the good ones.

Hope this helps.

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy(PA) said:
K*E*L*L*Y said:
Shortstack said:
The paintball gun thing made me curious. Thanks for going above and beyond in clearing my "fog".

Kelly you should just admit your love for me since we all know you want my sexy speedo body. ;D

OK!!!!! i know youre kidding... and im sure most people on here know youre kidding...
however... SOME might not... so STOP IT! :violent1: :nono:
go eat another tastykake!!!!! ... and some more of ma's meatloaf....
she told me last night she was gonna put extra bacon on it today for christmas!
:tongue3:

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
K*E*L*L*Y said:
Jimmy(PA) said:
K*E*L*L*Y said:
Shortstack said:

OK!!!!! i know youre kidding... and im sure most people on here know youre kidding...
however... SOME might not... so STOP IT! :violent1: :nono:
go eat another tastykake!!!!! ... and some more of ma's meatloaf....
she told me last night she was gonna put extra bacon on it today for christmas!
:tongue3:

Who's kidding? not me. ;D

ok maybe I am

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
I think they still use modified M14's in the military, some are trying to push for them to go back to a .308 round. I read an article saying they .223 wasnt killing targets in Iraq. Some told me that round was intended to wound soldiers which creates more of a hassle on the battlefield and uses manpower removing the wounded soldier but in todays wars with the Muslims who fight like animals and dont care for their wounded its useless, you need a round that will kill not wound them. But the article did say the military just bought a ton of .223 so I doubt any change is occuring anytime soon.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy(PA) said:
I think they still use modified M14's in the military, some are trying to push for them to go back to a .308 round. I read an article saying they .223 wasnt killing targets in Iraq. Some told me that round was intended to wound soldiers which creates more of a hassle on the battlefield and uses manpower removing the wounded soldier but in todays wars with the Muslims who fight like animals and dont care for their wounded its useless, you need a round that will kill not wound them. But the article did say the military just bought a ton of .223 so I doubt any change is occuring anytime soon.

That's true, but sad.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real story behind the change to the M-16 firing the .223 is two part. First, the designer of the M-16 was well connected to the military contracting officials and there were all kinds of backdoor dealings going on. The first series of the weapon couldn't handle the grit and mud of Vietnam and would jam if the least amount of crud got into the action. It wasn't until after the barrel, bolt, and chambers were chromed and the round seating handle was put in; that the rifle began to be somewhat reliable. As for that damned .223 round, the excuse was that the round was lighter in weight (DUH) and would allow the soldier to carry MORE ammo into the "bush". That round makes a shi--y brush gun. The old M-14 firing the .30 cal. round was a bush-buster. The AK-47 used by Charlie, fires an a--kicking .30 cal round. The AK fires the 7.62x39 round which is the same projectile as the M-14 (7.65x59) The USA convinced the NATO nations to change to the 5.56 cal.( that's the metric number for .223) Somebody (Congressmen, Senators, and a few General officers) made a boat load of money on that change over. The Army and the Marines (most especially the Marines) fought against losing the M-14, but it was crammed down their throats. The Marines dragged it out as long as they could, but eventually HAD to take those crappy M-16s. Some Generals had jobs waiting for them when they retired. Guess where.

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Shortstack said:
The real story behing the change to the M-16 firing the .223 is two part. First, the designer of the M-16 was well connected to the military contracting officials and there were all kinds of backdoor dealings going on. The first series of the weapon couldn't handle the grit and mud of Vietnam and would jam if the least amount of crud got into the action. It wasn't until after the barrel, bolt, and chambers were chromed and the round seating handle was put in; that the rifle began to be somewhat reliable. As for that damned .223 round, the excuse was that the round was lighter in weight (DUH) and would allow the soldier to carry MORE ammo into the "bush". That round makes a shi--y brush gun. The old M-14 firing the .30 cal. round was a bush-buster. The AK-47 used by Charlie, fires an a--kicking .30 cal round. The AK fires the 7.62x39 round which is the same projectile as the M-14 (7.65x59) The USA convinced the NATO nations to change to the 5.56 cal.( that's the metric number for .223) Somebody (Congressmen, Senators, and a few General officers) made a boat load of money on that change over. The Army and the Marines (most especially the Marines) fought against losing the M-14, but it was crammed down their throats. The Marines dragged it out as long as they could, but eventually HAD to take those crappy M-16s. Some Generals had jobs waiting for them when they retired. Guess where.

On History of the Gun I remember them saying one reason for going to the m16 over the m14 was the m14 in full auto was almost impossible to control for most guys? But the m16 does feel like a toy when you hold it next to the m14, the same with the 9mm Baretta over the 1911a1 I think the .45 is a much better round, its like night and day next when shooting them side by side. Of course I never had to take down a target with either but the 1911 with .45 just feels so much better. I've seen most special forces still use modified m14's and m1911a1's over the m16/m4 and Barreta's. Cops here use to use 9mm now they give them the option to use .45 since the 9mm's were having trouble bringing down targets.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The .45 was adopted by the Army because the .38s just would not stop a charging Jap soldier from still moving forward and killing you in a foxhole, with his last breath. The .45 had knockdown power to not only STOP the charging enemy, but the energy of that .45 ball round would tend to push them back. This was back in the WW 2 days before the .38 Specials and .357 mags. The .38s used by the Army was the long Colt. Some officers would buy their own .45 long Colts, but the G.I. got issued the standard .38. The knockdown power of the .45 ACP round is one of the big reasons the Thomson Submachine Gun was designed to fire that round. The Japanese and the Germans hated that gun. They learned the hard way what that gun sounded like and they learned real fast just how powerful the round was when it hit you. As a matter of fact, I THINK it was the Germans who complained about the Thompson and called it inhumane. ;D

I have owned a couple of Colt 1911 .45s through the years and loved them. About 8 years ago I bought a Ruger P97 DAO in .45 ACP caliber and had to trade it back in on a Kel-Tec P-11, 9mm. I found that the overpressure of the .45 (when fired) would hurt my ears really bad. I guess age started to catch up with me. ;D That 9mm doesn't do that so I don't have to worry about "pulling off target" from anticipating the ear pain. That habit would be dangerous in a "bad" situation, so ..........the 9mm is now my weapon of choice. I load it with 115gr. Winchester Self-Defense Hollowpoints. A nasty looking round. The only negative point on that Kel-Tec is the clip holds only 10 rounds, so I'm going to get a Ruger P95, SA/DA with 15 round clips. That little Kel-Tec DOES use a S&W 5200 style clip that can be found with different capacities (15, 17, 20, and 30 rounds) but they would be a little awkward for concealed carry.

Jimmy, that Special Ops weapon you're speaking of could be the Stephens SAW or a cut-down, stripped down M-60 machine gun and not an M-14. They were using the stripped down M-60s as far back as the Vietnam war. It used a sidemounted ammo box and had a side profile just like an M-14. The gas cylinders on the M-60 and the M-14 look identical; at least at a glance. That's where the designer of the Stephens SAW got his idea for the ammo side boxes for his weapon.

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
They claim to still use the m14 in limited roles in all branches and especially in the m21 and m25 variant as urban sniper rifles. I always loved the .45 but it does make a hell of a sound. I use good hearing protection but still feel the blast power from the gun especially at indoor ranges. I heard during the Philippine-American war the natives would get all dopped up before rushing American lines and the .38 Long Colt wasnt putting them down so they started shipping old 1873 single action Colt .45's to the troops which proved effective. I even heard some accounts that said the thick shields the natives used were stopping the .38 rounds.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have earplugs AND "mickey mouse" ears, but I probably wouldn't have the opportunity to employ either of those hearing protectors in a self-defense situation. :dontknow: ;D

I like the kick-a-- power of the .45, but the 9mm +P with the aggressive hollowpoint will more than handle the job. :thumbsup:

And I'll take this opportunity to advise folks who have self-defense weapons to practice with those weapons to keep your edge and be sure to use the same ammo that you intend to use in your self-defense. It is useless to use the so-called "practice" ammo because it does not have the sound and power of the "serious" ammo. I had a short box of "practice" .45 rounds that were factory loaded using aluminum shells. Useless!!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to go way back to the original post if I may. You used the term "long range shooting" but then you said your ranges weren't over 200 yards. 200 yards isn't long range shooting around here. Heck, that's just plinking. If all you have to work with is the 200 yds, and you want to have some real fun and save a TON of money, get a 22! For less money you could buy a match rifle and match ammo and, with a little practice, put your rounds in a quarter-size hole at 200 yds.. If you want to impress the good-ol-boys at the range, wear a cammo hat. Why buy a mediocre high powered rifle and high priced, mediocre shells when you can show the boys you can afford the best of something and outshoot them to boot? ;D

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
packerbacker said:
I'm going to go way back to the original post if I may. You used the term "long range shooting" but then you said your ranges weren't over 200 yards. 200 yards isn't long range shooting around here. Heck, that's just plinking. If all you have to work with is the 200 yds, and you want to have some real fun and save a TON of money, get a 22! For less money you could buy a match rifle and match ammo and, with a little practice, put your rounds in a quarter-size hole at 200 yds.. If you want to impress the good-ol-boys at the range, wear a cammo hat. Why buy a mediocre high powered rifle and high priced, mediocre shells when you can show the boys you can afford the best of something and outshoot them to boot? ;D

Haha true but I want something I can use at shorter (which is most of my shooting) and longer ranges when I get the opportunity. I know theres a few nice ranges within an hour or two. And Dicks has the 700's on sale with a scope for 499 and I have a coupon so its hard to beat those prices. To hell with the camo hat im wearing a ghillie suit. :P jk I bought a few boxes of Winchester .45 for my 1911 yesterday and they are 20 bucks a box now! When I first got the gun I was paying like 12 and that was only a few years ago maybe 02'-03'ish.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy(PA) said:
packerbacker said:

Haha true but I want something I can use at shorter (which is most of my shooting) and longer ranges when I get the opportunity. I know theres a few nice ranges within an hour or two. And Dicks has the 700's on sale with a scope for 499 and I have a coupon so its hard to beat those prices. To hell with the camo hat im wearing a ghillie suit. :P jk I bought a few boxes of Winchester .45 for my 1911 yesterday and they are 20 bucks a box now! When I first got the gun I was paying like 12 and that was only a few years ago maybe 02'-03'ish.

I'd jump on that puppy with both feet. ;D

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I've been saving my pennies for an M21. I've heard mixed results with some of the newer Rem-700's. If you found an older one however, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread