hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it will hold at $51.00. And, I do think that there are several, maybe more, who are going to put in their bid for it in the final 10 seconds, hoping that they will be the lucky one to get it in time, and others won't quite make it. (Maybe me, too.)

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's worth what the market will bear for it. I liken coins to rare baseball cards. Sure, it may 'book' for $180.00 on the high end but that doesn't mean someone will give that amount for it.

I had a super rare football card autographed by Barry Sanders with 4 baloney sliced chunks of face mask inserted into the card. It was serial numbered to 25...only 25 made. It 'booked' for $600.00, (high). I made less than half of low book on it.

I know that old coins and ball cards are completely different within the realm of historical importance and collectability but I just wanted to drop my 2 large cents in there.

It IS a nice coin and I almost considered bidding on it ;D

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
I don't think it will hold at $51.00. And, I do think that there are several, maybe more, who are going to put in their bid for it in the final 10 seconds, hoping that they will be the lucky one to get it in time, and others won't quite make it. (Maybe me, too.)

...and now that the auction has been advertised I'm sure a few more will bid on it as well!

pokerdad911

Mar 25, 2008
O.C CA.
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX
You better put your highest bid in on the last 6 seconds of the deal. If it gets close to it's 180 dollar tag. forget it.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
sure not bad,but remember the chinese are making counterfit coins that look real,thats why i would go with pcgs,or ngc grading co. but they just had a 300,000.00 coin incapsulated turn out to be counterfit! FBI they locked tHE GUY UP.but still they wont come after a 100.00 coin. good luck

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am one of those "snipers" that bid in the last 10 seconds. (people always did it to me, so I learned how to be good at it).

It's a nice coin (no, I'm not bidding on it).

I doubt it will stay at that price, but, I will never bid on a coin that has been cleaned. It always seems to limit what its worth. (made that mistake once).

But, I'm sure, like everyone says that, in the last 6-10 seconds, someone will come out of the woodwork with a bid.

B

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice coin and I don't have any bust coins.... :o I'd bid at the last minute up to $80 or so, good luck ! :icon_thumleft: Don't worry I don't have $80 to play with. :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And, if you have a high-speed connection, you can make your bid, and hit "confirm" during the last few seconds.

Good luck, hope you get it if you want it!!!

B

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando,

You are right about a couple of things. (this is not Ebay) They now have programs that can actually slow down or stop your bid if you are sniping or even just bidding. They have programs that can hack into an auction site - any auction site - and find out what the high bids are, so they can go a penny over and win.

At least Ebay still has a way to stop some of the issues you are speaking about. You can mark the areas that say - only buy-it-nows, or no used, all new, the areas closest to you (if you are worried about large shipping costs for a large item), and many other things, depending, of course, on what you are looking for.

But, no auction website is the same as it was 10 years ago. Yahoo's is gone. A coin site that I used to go to only has "buy it now" prices, heck, even the government auctions are different - I get ticked with the "no reserve" crap. Most of them start the bidding at a certain price - well, that's a reserve price. (to me, anyway - if I have to start at 10 bucks or 100 bucks - then the reserve is 10 or 100 bucks. If it was no reserve, I could start at a penny, or whatever).

I paid good money to have access to certain auction sites - and most of them are now "minimum price". And people get auction fever. It's worse than gold fever. Whether it is ebay or your local auction, I have seen people pay more for an item than they could buy it at any store. (and I'm not talking about antiques).

The programs that stop electronic bidding are illegal, but they have roaming IP addresses, so, they cannot track them down.

Heck, I started "sniping" (not with the electronic stuff, but watching the end of the auction) because I never got an item I wanted.

B

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not realize they were involved with the development of such programs.

One of the things that Yahoo did right - was the extension of the auction, if there were still people bidding.

I think that would have helped everyone.

B

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Im a seller (and insist on Making money on shipping and all) I liKe ebay, as a buyer I still buy. Its up to me what I want to bid, Or sell at buy it now. Its all fair. snipping and all. I would like to see extended time on auctions. But who cares its a game we play.

I see the coin went for 78 Bucks, Good for someone. they got what they wanted and were willing to pay. I bet the sellers Happy also. Both parties are happy, The perfect deal.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've gotten a bit off track but I wonder what it sold for. No need to reply or PM me on this as I was watching that item and will check it later.

I have sold quite a few items on eBay, especially recently. I started an auction for 2 fully stuffed tackle bags at 99 cents, no reserve. There was over a thousand dollars worth of lures, (some vintage) and equipment. I made about $140.00 total.
Point is, I know what you all mean. eBay is not the same as it was ten years ago, or even five.
I have lost money, (tackle box, grrrr!) and have been pleasantly surprised as well. It's all evened out I suppose but I enjoy starting my auctions at 99 cents with no reserve, and no gimmicks such as 'free shipping' or 'buy it now'. I love looking at them every day to see how many hits I've gotten, have I any new 'looky loo's' watching my item, and ultimately, do I have any new bids?
I guess I'm old school.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GopherDaGold said:
We've gotten a bit off track but I wonder what it sold for. No need to reply or PM me on this as I was watching that item and will check it later.

I have sold quite a few items on eBay, especially recently. I started an auction for 2 fully stuffed tackle bags at 99 cents, no reserve. There was over a thousand dollars worth of lures, (some vintage) and equipment. I made about $140.00 total.
Point is, I know what you all mean. eBay is not the same as it was ten years ago, or even five.
I have lost money, (tackle box, grrrr!) and have been pleasantly surprised as well. It's all evened out I suppose but I enjoy starting my auctions at 99 cents with no reserve, and no gimmicks such as 'free shipping' or 'buy it now'. I love looking at them every day to see how many hits I've gotten, have I any new 'looky loo's' watching my item, and ultimately, do I have any new bids?
I guess I'm old school.

Me too. Can't please everybody I guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions