any SurvivalBlog readers out there?

Do you read, or at least know about Survival Blog?

• Yes, I read it everyday.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I skim through it, but dont really read all of it.

• Not really, I've seen it before but it didn't interest me.

• What's SurvivalBlog?

• Total voters

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
alexfm123 said:
I'm just curious, how many of you read the blog? ;D I do, and I really enjoy it. A lot of very informative articles and how-to's.

For those of you who answer as #4, here's the link if you wanna check it out.

http://www.survivalblog.com

I never read this survival blog and checked it out in my spare time after you posted it.
Preparing for SHTF scenarios is unrealistic and somewhat crazy in my opinion.
I once knew this guy that was into this bigtime. He had a bomb shelter and enough supplies to last for years. He probably invested thousands of dollars in gear.
He would always tell me that I'm foolish for not preparing. I'd get him going by telling him " why should I prepare when I can go over your house and get it for nothing".
One day he was picking up some non hybrid seeds for his survival garden. Outside of the survival store was a group of illegal aliens eating some bananas. When he left the store carrying a sack of seed,he slipped on a banana peel, cracked his head open,and was planted, long before those seeds.
When I learned of his untimely demise I wondered why he didn't invest in a good pair of non slip shoes,or a bicycle helmet.
I guess one can't prepare for everything, and waste time worrying about tomorrow.
The only thing I worry about is where I'm going to get rid of all these clad halves.
HH
Rich

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
Rich,

First off, anyone who does that kind of thing and then tells someone else about it is not a survivor or prepper or anything else other than someone who likes to show off and brag.

Personally Ive been in two major disasters in my life and one personal disaster.

Ive been stuck in a house without power with electric heat in an area that NEVER got snow but suddenly got 30 inches of snow and ice, with no food, and five mouths to feed.

Ive seen people, Americans, roam the roads and rob other people who were their neighbors, whom they had known for years for a box of crackers or can of corn. Ive had these same people come to my door, machete in hand, demanding food and shelter, all the while threatening to hack me and my family into little pieces if I did not comply.

Ive been in situations (such as the one listed above) where the only thing between my families life and death or serious injury or kidnapping was a gun.

Let me tell you, a gun becomes so much more than a fun (adult) toy to play with when it protects your life. You gain a whole new respect for them.

With all that said, I'm sure there are a lot of people on this forum who do CRHing because it is a good way to accumulate silver at lower than spot prices, and at least some of those do it for some kind of fear over inflation or something similar.

If it makes you feel better to write a smug reply to this post, fine, but do not fault others who have had first hand experience with SHTF events and decided "never again".

OP
OP
alexfm123

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
Rich,

Im going to have to side with placerman, because the man you mentioned either trusted you a great deal, or wasnt as serious as some others I have met about prepping. Personally, I havent told anyone. After my family laughed me off when I told them about it, I decided I'd just keep it to myself. Yes, it does feel silly at times, but that feeling quickly dissipates when I read about another terrorist attack, or the value of the dollar dropping even more. I appreciate all of your opinions though, thats the beauty of this country. You can say what you want, when you want.

Alex.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of that blog before, but I'm always willing to read up on anything I'm unfamiliar with.
I won't debate the need to prepare for situations. It's ok if people disagree that anyone should look past today or tomorrow, to ensure that you're ready for as much as you're able to be. In my mind, the good thing about acquiring items is that most of them can be used for daily living, or even camping & hiking. If I need things, then I have it. If I don't, it will still be used.
I'd rather have what I wish, than wish that I had...
Thanks for the link Alex! :thumbsup:

Bran <><

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
alexfm123 said:
Rich,

Im going to have to side with placerman, because the man you mentioned either trusted you a great deal, or wasnt as serious as some others I have met about prepping. Personally, I havent told anyone. After my family laughed me off when I told them about it, I decided I'd just keep it to myself. Yes, it does feel silly at times, but that feeling quickly dissipates when I read about another terrorist attack, or the value of the dollar dropping even more. I appreciate all of your opinions though, thats the beauty of this country. You can say what you want, when you want.

Alex.

To your last sentence, I would add: For now.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I cruise that site as well as others as you can pick up some good ideas.

I am not concerned about any SHTF or TEOTWAWKI scenario's because I am not an obsessive type person.

I agree with FEMA and the Red Cross about having supplies on hand and a plan because that is just common sense.

I have enough food in the pantry to last a month or two but I am not going to play stockboy rotating cans every day.

My homestead is self sustaining, meaning that I need no outside power, water, food or people to survive.

I am not "prepared" I am just living my life without assistance as we were meant to do. Probably just as you grandparents and some of your parents did.

There is a difference between self sufficiency and being obsessed with things that we have no control over.

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
+1 for Jeep
Regular reader and member of some disaster preparedness forums/groups.
Red Cross Volunteer, CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) Member and I have participated in 2 disaster drills (one local and one national).
I do this for a couple reasons, after 20+ years in the military, it just seems like the thing to do - call it civic duty. Also I live in an area that routinely suffers from power outages and get snowed in 1-2 weeks a year. Rural living is great, but without some basic skills/equipment it can be really rough. Our first year was OK until winter, when we were stuck for 4 days with no power, water or food (outside of our pantry). That was when I stumbled on "SB", now we are far better off. Over the next two years we purchased a generator, safe fuel storage, food storage plan, dual fuel heat pump (electric and propane), some minor electrical modifications (from a licensed electrician), a 4x4 vehicle (to replace an aging 2wd SUV), chain saw and we were in business.
Two years ago was our worst with 8 days of no power/water and multiple trees down at each end of the street. We were plenty warm, dry and even had our neighbors over for chili dogs, cocoa and PS3 gaming. They went out and bought a generator and stocked up on food as soon as spring hit.
SHTF? - Locally, it happens at least once a year! 911 was an indication that it can happen on a national level and we still haven't recovered. Just remember Mt. St. Helens, Hurricane David, Katrina or Rita: "S"-happens.
TEOTWAWKI? - undecided and not worried.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread