The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This happened a few months ago, but I just got the pics. My poor mom...I have a hard time seeing her watching all her stuff go up in flames. She had good insurance and another place in Chicago, so she didn't lose everything, but all my deceased sister's art work was in there and items that had so much emotional value...their two dogs, Sam and Lexie never came out. It seems that, when it comes down to it, if you want to remain sane, you just have to say, C'est la vie. You really don't own anything on this planet. She got burned on the forehead and legs...she attempted to put out the fire herself before the fire dept. came.

Turns out that 50 year old wiring had shorted out in the back wall. It smouldered for up to a week. When it got oxygen, it literally exploded.

fire_1.jpg

My mom is the one in the white shirt.
fire_2.jpg

fire_3.jpg

fire_4.jpg

fire_5.jpg

That's Grand Targhee Ski Resort in the background of the first pic. She is rebuilding, but not in the same location. The previous house burned down too...no point in pushing our luck.

Take care,
Beep

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Wow Beep. What a contrast it is to see the tragedy of someone losing their house to fire against the backdrop of such natural beauty :-\... Sorry for your family's loss. Good luck, Gpurs...

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:( Beep, that just plain sucks. Sorry for the lose of the dogs and the sentimental items, fire knows no bounds. Glad to hear that your mom came through okay.

Prayers and Best Wishes from Ct.

peacock

Oct 16, 2009
Glad your Mom is okay! So sad about the loss of the dogs. My thoughts and prayers are with you. wish I could do more. Love to you all.

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow... these pics are very unsettling for sure.. im glad your family is doing ok.
and sorry to hear about your sisters art work. .... to get that close to a fire and be
able to snap those pics.... WOW! :'(

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I truly am so very sorry.. thank god your Moms ok.. I truly am sorry on the dogs and your sisters artwork.. unreal god awful pictures of her home burning.. so very sad.. I hope you all heal and agree, dont build in exact same spot..

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for your replies folks. The pics were taken by a photographer from a local newspaper. A couple hundred pics. No fire hydrants in our locale. They had to fill the tanker at the pond and bring it to the house. Of course, after 5 minutes there was nothing anyone could do. I included the pic of the fire fighters to show my respect for those incredible guys and gals.

Beep

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
wow! There are no words to express the feelings those pics convey and I am sure they don't compare to how your mom felt standing there. Praise God she is okay!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beep, really sorry to hear, and for the loss. I can imagine how devastating it must be for her to lose so many memories.....

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Beep :o
Of course any loss is sad. You fortunately have the right attitude.

How is Mum?

Mike

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
losing the passed sisters artwork and pets sucks but thankfully moms ok --odd how two homes burnt down at the same spot. -- did ya'll build on a old indain burial ground or what? because the odds against that occuring twice is staggering. -- happily moms ok and has insurance to help rebuild with.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm...the old house burnt down a long time ago before we owned the property. The area is "Pierrre's Hole" just west of Jackson Hole (where I grew up). Near the town of Driggs...closer to Alta.

Pierre's Hole was the location of a lot of the mountain man rendez-vous in the 1800's. There were indians everywhere, but I don't know about any burial grounds...could be though.

A couple of people had seen or felt my sister in the house on several occasions (after she passed away, of course...not that this has anything to do with the fire...another story).

Beep

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread