The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I respect most of the folks in uniform, but it can be extremely irritating when you're singled out as a perp. One of my daughters had a friend over for a short time about a week ago. Turns out they were a runaway. So, today, two cops are pounding on my door yelling Police! Open up! What everyone loves to hear at their door. A guy and gal cop, both large as usual, start demanding me to tell them where this kid is. It took me a few to figure out what they were talking about. Oh, yeah, they may have been here if it's who I think you're talking about. They ask for my ID and I have to go into the house to get it. The guy starts following me in and I say, sorry, but you're going to have to wait outside. I get my ID and they take all my info. They said that it was suspicious that I did not let them in the house. I said, that's just the way I am. They said to expect them back with a search warrant soon.

A short while later the kids mother shows up at the door and says "I would like to see [name of person]". The cops obviously told her that they believed that I was hiding this kid in my house. I, of course, and my daughter, had told them that the kid was long gone. The cops were still parked out front. Felt like a low-budget stand-off. Anyway, I talk to the lady, tell her we have no idea what is going on with her kid, but please talk to my daughter and she will tell you everything she can. I left them alone for a while and when I came back the lady was satisfied that we were telling the truth and was actually very pleased with the info. I invited her into the house (twice) to look around. She went back and talked to the cops and they left. They should be able to find the kid. I still don't know whether to expect a busted down door at 6AM, or not.

Being threatened with felony harboring, etc. was put out there by the cops and the lady. What the heck is the matter with a cop simply asking "Hey, we're loooking for this kid and heard they might have been here. Can you help us out?" But, no, they have to come in, threaten my dog, threaten me with prosecution, don't believe anything we say and are, just, simply, amazingly unpleasant people who have lost sight of how to interact with those who pay their salaries.

Beep

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
it's just another case of " The International Brotherhood of the D*ckheads " thinking they can threaten anyone, anywhere.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vibes said:
how old is your daughter?

Like I said, I know that there are good ones...part of my family ran Sacremento for a while (chief of police, etc.) What they fail to realize is that they are their own worst enemy.

I did forget to mention something...it took me a while to open the door and it pissed them off...lol.

Even if they don't "get you" for whatever charges they come up with, they know it can cost you a fortune to get out of it.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, first I want you to know I respect all of you opinions.

Just for the heck of it I put myself in your shoes then the other party's.

If it were my kid that were missing and a lead was for some crazy reason pointed to your domain, I'd have to know as well that my child wasn't there. I would have even been more extreme.
You just have to let it unfold and cooperate until the storm settles. It's all you can do is cooperate.
Officers and detectives are trained to watch your body movements and reactions to the situation. Just let them know you would like to help find the girl any way you can.

And no, they aren't going to kick your door in unless you don't answer of course. I know I'm not comforting you very well by what I am saying but, it looks like your local police department is doing their job very well. I have heard of stories where some law enforcement did nothing until it was too late. You just have to look at both sides I guess.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4-H said:

If it were my kid that were missing and a lead was for some crazy reason going to your domain, I'd have to know as well that my child wasn't there. I might have even been more extreme.
You just have to let it unfold and cooperate until the storm settles. It's all you can do.

And no, they aren't going to kick your door in unless you don't answer of course. I know I'm not comforting you very well by what I am saying but, it looks like your local police department id doing their job very well.

Totally understand. Did the same thing myself (other party's shoes). I do not have any problem with the process, just the way it was handled. Making them follow the process is part of protecting my rights...there was never any doubt that all would be known. Their version of cooperation and mine just didn't agree.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
4-H said:

If it were my kid that were missing and a lead was for some crazy reason going to your domain, I'd have to know as well that my child wasn't there. I might have even been more extreme.
You just have to let it unfold and cooperate until the storm settles. It's all you can do.

And no, they aren't going to kick your door in unless you don't answer of course. I know I'm not comforting you very well by what I am saying but, it looks like your local police department id doing their job very well.

Totally understand. Did the same thing myself (other party's shoes). I do not have any problem with the process, just the way it was handled. Making them follow the process is part of protecting my rights...there was never any doubt that all would be known. Their version of cooperation and mine just didn't agree.
Yes. I totally understand that too. I hope it works out for everyone. I'm sorry you have to go through this...Mike

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
I hate too see you go through this also, I hope the young girl is safe and found soon. I can't imagine if it were my daughter.

On the brightside, they didn't find your bong. :P

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beep, I would have responded the same way including letting the mother into the house to see if her daughter was there but not letting the police in. As you said, it is part of protecting our rights. All to often citizens don't know their rights or easily give them up because they "have nothing to hide". A certain segment of the police force rely on this. What might happen if you were to let them in and you didn't know the bounds of the law after allowing them into your home?

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah...everything I've read seems to indicate that any lawyer would advise the same. If they weren't hostile, I might have thought about it for another 0.2 seconds before saying 'no', but letting a person of authority in your home when they have already formulated an opinion is a bad idea.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it all comes down to respect for and from both parties. They handled it wrong and you had the right to be offended. Like any profession some are better trained or suited than others.
Hope there is a happy ending in all this and it does not involve the law.
:icon_sunny:

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Well I'm fortunate enough to live in a small town where I know all (or at least most) of the cops on a first name basis, and they're all welcome to come in my house any time they want. The sheriff's personal phone number is in my speed dial list on my cell phone, and we call each other to talk about the ball games or whatever. I certainly don't expect that I would ever be "above the law" if I had some sort of run in, but I also don't expect that I would ever be shouted at or doubted at my word in case of a situation.

Sounds like you handled the matter in a reasonable way Beep, but the cop shop wouldn't have handled it that way down here. Even the old man who shot and killed his neighbor over a property line dispute was treated with dignity and respect by our local law enforcement, whether he deserved it or not.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a cop. A runaway is a serious deal, but I would never have automatically assumed you were somehow 'in on the deal' in someway. It gets down to how you talk to people and treat them. If I want to start a fight with you, I can do it in about 2 sentences. If I want your cooperation, I can make you feel like you're a part of what I'm trying to do and most times I'll get your cooperation. We have a transient police department here, or gypsy cops as they're called. They couldn't make it in the big town so they came here to get a little experience and training and then move on. I finally told some of them that I had forgot more about police work than they would ever know, and if I ever needed help they would be the last folks I would call. That was a bad thing to do, but I was right. And a couple of the long time guys are alright. There's good cops and bad cops. Many times us good ones would take care of the bad ones. Disclaimer: there are some people you will encounter in contacts that have no right to be walking the face of the earth, and you will know them when you meet them. They should be shot dead before they shoot you. Sorry, it's true.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have done as you did as far as wait outside while I get my ID, but with that said they have a difficult job to do and most times under difficult circumsances and always the chance someone will pull a weapon.....Need to remember they are use to dealing with criminals and people who lie all the time.

This past week we had 7 helicopters over our neighborhood, I go to find out what is going on and see about 20 police officers, 6 news vans, and them arresting a man. It turned out it was a child custody dispute over 2 small girls. Father would not return the kids to the mother who has custody, so mother and boyfriend went in to fathers home and took the kids, weapon was displayed by boyfriend, and mother and boyfriend were arrested because of the weapon displayed.... Even after the arrests were made the helicopters were hoovering over our neighborhood for 4 more hours....

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Legally he's probably not in the right, because Department of Her Services is always on the side of the mother, but I'm on the side of the father. I'm sorry he didn't have a gun to shoot the boyfriend, but for his sake it's probably better he didn't.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the worst of the departments is CPS. Any force funded in proportion to how many children they 'abduct' has a fatal flaw. Not that they may not have done some good, but, in the end, it is the agent's managers who want them to 'produce' to remain funded. Hard to remain un-jaded in that situation.

All I can say is that I hope that this episode is not indicitive of the rest of the year :P

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I was once told a figure that 40 percent of cops are bad. I believe this. It came from someone that had been in the force for a very long time. Cops are NOT the law. They are simply 'tricksters' that try to manipulate the situation to get an arrest.

Bottom line is this, if they are still talking to you, they have nothing on you and are simply 'fishing' to try and get something. The more you talk, the more chances they have to get you for something.

Fact of the matter is that Cops should be drafted, because everyone that want's to be one, has no business being one.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another sign of the times when we go from:

To Protect and Serve

To the current slogan:

To Pursue and Collect

B

BIG61AL

By far, the most damage to the cops reputations has been caused by the cops themselves.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
around here, usually you read in the paper about
CPS were called and refused to do anything
and something happend to the kid.

either they only take them after the parents are arrested
or not at all.

I Have never known anyone who has had a Run in with Them.
so I Can't say if they strong arm anyone.

The SPCA On the otherhand are a Bunch of Storm Troopers.
If you have a Dog on a Chain They will Take it when your Not Home.
& by the time You Find out who has it,
it's either Put to death or "adopted out"

Seems animals are more important.
One of the Few things I Realy hate about Schuylkill County.

That & if your a Highschool
Football Player You can get away with actual Murder,
(Thanks to the FBI That May Change)
But if your an adult
don't Have a Beer & Be seen Hopping in your car.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions