Phobias

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Shortstack said:
bigwater said:
RGINN said:
And the person who claims to fear nothing is a fool and is not long for this world.
I don't think that I agree with that statement. Fear itself is the killer. Respect and reaction is what keeps you alive. Like FDR said, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself". What's the name for the phobia of being afraid of being afraid?

RGINN is absolutely correct in his statement. If you get into a firefight and aren't afraid, you're a fool (and probably dead). The point is to control the fear and channel that adrenalin to help your survival. Anyone who's ever been in combat and says they weren't afraid is lying to you.

One more thing, too. That big talker in the rear area, is usually the first to die when the shooting starts. The quiet guys are the ones to get the job done. Every person who's ever been awarded a combat medal for valor has been the quiet, low profile guy, while in the rear areas.
In the post I quoted, RGINN never mentioned a firefight. It was about fear in general. In general, fear will get you killed. For example, I paddle class 5+ whitewater. If I scout a rapid that has huge standing waves, crazy swirling currents and gigantic boulders in it and get afraid of it, I'm going to get killed when I attempt to run it. I respect the river, plan a course of action, and react accordingly when going through it in my boat. That is what keeps me alive.

But just to appease you on thef firefight issue, if you know anything about the development of the human mind, you'll know that it's not fear that keeps a soldier alive. There is a singular reason that combat soldiers are in the 18-24 year old age range. It is because their minds have not fully associated the concept of risk vs. consequense at that age. The same respect, planning and reaction that I mentioned above is why you don't see our field commanders coming home in body bags very often. By the time they've reached the age it takes to obtain their rank, they've developed the association between risk and consequences.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning my friends: I see that my particular phobia has been left out ??

I have "workaphobia".

I have tried everything, but it still remains.
sigh. Now you know why I am a tropical tramp.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote:"There is a singular reason that combat soldiers are in the 18-24 year old age range. It is because their minds have not fully associated the concept of risk vs. consequense at that age."

You might be on to something there....

Scott

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
AU24K said:
Quote:"There is a singular reason that combat soldiers are in the 18-24 year old age range. It is because their minds have not fully associated the concept of risk vs. consequense at that age."

You might be on to something there....

Scott
I know without a doubt that I am. Take a look at the development of a child from baby to adult. Up to about six years old a child can have an imaginary friend that is as real to that kid as you are. This is due to the fact that the critical faculty, which is the barrier between the subconcious mind and the concious mind, has not started to develop yet, and it's why kids seemingly have no fear. By the time a kid hits about 10 or so, the critical faculty has started to form, but it doesn't fully develop enough to be able to fully disassociate fantasy from reality until around the age of 25. Until that bridge between fantasy and reality is totaly broken, there is always a reduced association of risk and consequence. Some people develop it earlier, some later, some never. Those who never develop a critical faculty we call schizophrenics, who may also end up as sociopaths due to their inability to differentiate fantasy from reality.
(yeah, a bit of psychological training here)

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
DigginThePast said:
Shortstack said:
Autojamphobia: Fear of my gun jamming at the wrong time. That would be the same as bringing a club to a gun fight. NOT a good idea.

Revolver. :wink:

Of course, that's a possibility. But, "they" haven't made a 15 shot revolver yet. ;D

Here is a 20 shot revolver, couple of speedloaders and your up to 60 rounds ready to go. ;D ;D

I know, your going to say it is bulky and hard to conceal. What you need to do is get really fat, then go on Atkins without telling anyone. As the weight comes off keep padding your belly. When you have lost enough weight you can carry this revolver in a belly holster and no one will be the wiser. :laughing7:

edit: forgot the pic, need more coffee

Attachments

• 20shot.jpg
    20shot.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 224
K

Kentucky Kache

plehbah said:
AU24K said:
PHOBIA: from the Greek: φόβος, phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear"

What are some of your phobias and what are they called?
Example: Fear of Friday the 13th=triskadekaphobia.
Mine are-
Fear of rabid animals.
Fear of uncontrolled fire.
Fear of mentally unstable people.

Guess I could go on and on...
Don't know the names of any of these. Yet.

Scott

Poor tortured soul...........

Okay plehbah, stop scaring the boy. :wink:

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
plehbah said:
AU24K said:
PHOBIA: from the Greek: φόβος, phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear"

What are some of your phobias and what are they called?
Example: Fear of Friday the 13th=triskadekaphobia.
Mine are-
Fear of rabid animals.
Fear of uncontrolled fire.
Fear of mentally unstable people.

Guess I could go on and on...
Don't know the names of any of these. Yet.

Scott

Poor tortured soul...........

Okay plehbah, stop scaring the boy. :wink:

Oh, my, my, my. :laughing7:

Scott

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fear bitter cold temperatures (record lows in Texas now). I would move to the warmth of south Florida but I fear Hurricanes too. :dontknow:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some you guys were wondering about...

Cheimaphobia -- fear or dislike of cold
Psychophobia -- fear of the cold (? doesn't sound right...)

Ergophobia -- fear of work

Panphobia -- a nonspecific fear of everything

Phobophobia -- fear of fear itself

Beep

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Diggin, that 20 shot revolver would have the bad guys laughing so hard you probably wouldn't have to actually USE it. ;D

By the way; I'm ALREADY fat. It's the LOSING part I haven't gotten down yet. :help: :dontknow:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
they actually still make a 14 shot revolver. it's 22 cal. used for target practice.
but at 800 ft per sec. I think it could still put some holes in you

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
By the way; I'm ALREADY fat. It's the LOSING part I haven't gotten down yet. :help: :dontknow:

I hear that. :-[

Sniffer - I'm not familiar with a 14 shot revolver. I know S&W makes a 10 round .22. I'd like check out the 14 rounder. ;D

peacock

Oct 16, 2009
bigwater said:
RGINN said:
And the person who claims to fear nothing is a fool and is not long for this world.
I don't think that I agree with that statement. Fear itself is the killer. Respect and reaction is what keeps you alive. Like FDR said, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself". What's the name for the phobia of being afraid of being afraid?

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Agoraphobia- Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets. Fear of leaving a safe place.

This is exactly what I've developed as of recently. It really sucks too because I used to be so outgoing. Being forced to stay at home by myself (out of work) for so long is probably a big contributor.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I can't find it online, I'll talk to a buddy of mine. I was with him when he bought it at a gun show

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thrillathahunt said:
What is called when you fear bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic? I have that too. ;D

Doesn't look like there is a word for it except "Fear of Driving". I propose thrillathahuntaphobia.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fear of mentally unstable people.??
Without them I wouldn't have any friends to go metal detecting with.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
thrillathahunt said:
What is called when you fear bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic? I have that too. ;D

Doesn't look like there is a word for it except "Fear of Driving". I propose thrillathahuntaphobia.

:violent1: :angry5: ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions