My hilltop house design

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm considering the following design for MY house....

It will sit on a high hill... so part of the idea is to get a viewing tower....

I have NO idea what to do with the loft studio.... the top floor (a 26' diameter, 10 sided Deltec home) will be a game room, of sorts....

The bottom will be steel framed. (the stone is basically just for looks) with corrugated tin siding....

What would YOU do with the interior? 8)

Attachments

• mytower.jpg
    mytower.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 461

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
How many floors is that? No windows except at the top? How big is the underground bunker? :wink:

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Cynangyl said:
How many floors is that? No windows except at the top? How big is the underground bunker? :wink:

There will be large windows on the north side.... and some small windows high on the south wall.. I just haven't added them yet. 8) No underground bunker :D

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
stefen said:
There's a software program called 'Google Sketchup' that allows you to manipulate the design in real space and you can twist, turn and fly around and through the structure...you literally give the structure some bones and add the outer shell as needed...

Try it and you will find that the ultimate shape and the outer skin may change...

In fact, I'd use an octogon shape for the base with a similar shape for the upper level...might want to think about letting the stone base pattern swirl around and then use corregated panels for the sides and roof.

Could be fun to play with...

This was created in Sketchup - a great program... this is actually my second model, the first one looked good, but the dimensions weren't right... here's a small video of the 1st model....

http://forum.treasurenet.com/mytower.mov

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
No underground bunker??! BAH! lol I am glad there will be more windows...it looks pretty off balance with just the couple there. How many square feet is each floor? Might give a person more of an idea of what all would fit. :wink:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was approached about two years ago to do a Deltec home. Long story short we decided not to build it. I am a builder and also do historical renovations. If you have decided to go with Deltec and are wondering what to do with your interior I would first consider my stairwells and ease of access. An elevator is the least amount of space to access multiple floors.
I think the master suite should be on the top floor and depending upon square footage a veiwing room or media area/den. That would be fun :icon_sunny:
The second floor could be for guest and a open chefs kitchen. I am trying to see if this is three or four stories? Ideas are endless. I would also get several quotes.Alot of people are not familiar with that style and concept of building so I would be very careful when choosing your builder. I know Deltec can recommend someone but remember its not rocket science. I would also price it built on site with your own plans.
My humble opinion
Happy Houses
TnMountains

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cynangyl said:
No underground bunker??! BAH!

I must concur.

And you need a money bin too, to swim around in the gold coins.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of lot are you building on? Reminds me of a light house. Pretty cool.

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, if I make it to scale, and have FOUR full floors... 1. stairway at bottom, 2. living/dining. 3. loft, 4. upper view tower, (which doesn't need much more than a staircase entering it) it doesn't look quite right!

Can I say 3 1/2 floors? It seems to me the stairs at the bottom can have a low ceiling, and the loft can have a low ceiling. :-)

4 floors, two of them rather squat. :-) (do I need that much empty space above my beds? :-))

Anyway, about the Deltec.... I just chose that because of it's proven track record, affordability, and kit style construction.... If I am building the bottom out of steel frame, it's possible Deltec is NOT the way to go - I am all ears!

Thanks!
Marc

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marc said:
Well, if I make it to scale, and have FOUR full floors... 1. stairway at bottom, 2. living/dining. 3. loft, 4. upper view tower, (which doesn't need much more than a staircase entering it) it doesn't look quite right!

Can I say 3 1/2 floors? It seems to me the stairs at the bottom can have a low ceiling, and the loft can have a low ceiling. :-)

4 floors, two of them rather squat. :-) (do I need that much empty space above my beds? :-))

Anyway, about the Deltec.... I just chose that because of it's proven track record, affordability, and kit style construction.... If I am building the bottom out of steel frame, it's possible Deltec is NOT the way to go - I am all ears!

Thanks!
Marc

Hey
Yes Deltec has a proven track record. My thoughts for what its worth after seeing the design is that it is a fairly simple design and it may be cost effective after you have your drawing in order to get prices both ways. Deltec will only get you under roof with their kit. They are known for strength in their circular design but your drawing is only circular(10 sided) on the roof.
I am thinking with your design and materials you have mentioned to build the frame out of steel. You can use the corrugated on the outside but bare in mind the heat it will generate and a lot of that will be deflected up towards your viewing area. You may want to consider the Hardee siding in a stucco finish. It is a concrete product almost maintenance free and much cooler. I would also not shrink any ceiling heights and if anything go with 9'. Like the idea of the garage on the bottom but would enclose the bottom for safety. Hit a button light up the lower area and pull into the garage.
Back to the roof again. You may want to extend it over and past the entire structure so you do not have water dumping on the viewing deck. You may even want to consider capturing your water to use for your plantings. You could cut a section of roof back for sun and deck area and let the rest be shaded with ceiling fans.
Possibility's are endless once you get your outside design down. We have a corrugated building that is a Arch tech firm and they have rust lines under everything. That may be something to consider as well your environment. South Texas gets hot or was last time I was in Corpus.
Its a fun design and if its going to be your last house ever and you grow old there keep in mind an elevator.This of course could be added on the outside many, many years down the road .

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I look at this idea, the more it grows on me. The possibilities are endless and maintenance is kept to a minimum. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
stefen said:
Will you be open to constructive criticism (peer review) by an architect?

ALWAYS! :icon_thumleft:

However, That architect should know that I was inspired by Le Corbusier, (for uplift) Loius Kahn, (for monolithic design) mother nature, (because the site is small, high, and ideally suited for a tower) and finances!

:D

I LOVE constructive criticism! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks!
Marc

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
TnMountains said:
Marc said:

Thanks!
Marc

Hey
Yes Deltec has a proven track record. My thoughts for what its worth after seeing the design is that it is a fairly simple design and it may be cost effective after you have your drawing in order to get prices both ways. Deltec will only get you under roof with their kit. They are known for strength in their circular design but your drawing is only circular(10 sided) on the roof.
I am thinking with your design and materials you have mentioned to build the frame out of steel. You can use the corrugated on the outside but bare in mind the heat it will generate and a lot of that will be deflected up towards your viewing area. You may want to consider the Hardee siding in a stucco finish. It is a concrete product almost maintenance free and much cooler. I would also not shrink any ceiling heights and if anything go with 9'. Like the idea of the garage on the bottom but would enclose the bottom for safety. Hit a button light up the lower area and pull into the garage.
Back to the roof again. You may want to extend it over and past the entire structure so you do not have water dumping on the viewing deck. You may even want to consider capturing your water to use for your plantings. You could cut a section of roof back for sun and deck area and let the rest be shaded with ceiling fans.
Possibility's are endless once you get your outside design down. We have a corrugated building that is a Arch tech firm and they have rust lines under everything. That may be something to consider as well your environment. South Texas gets hot or was last time I was in Corpus.
Its a fun design and if its going to be your last house ever and you grow old there keep in mind an elevator.This of course could be added on the outside many, many years down the road .

8)

I agree about the heat and corrugated tin, but I was thinking, the tin, placed vertically, could actually act as a heat sink - AS WELL AS channeling the heat up - so there will need to be a heat deflector under the tower platform. :) This will also be built on the north side of a grove of trees, so sun exposure will already be minimized on the tin.

The site is very secure itself, so I will want to stick with an open, low maintenance design of garage. :) All I need is shade, shelter and breeze for the car. :)

Anyway, it's late here, I'll check back in here manana - I DO appreciate the feedback!

Marc

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you thought of developing an eco friendly house with solar panelling in the roof, this will provide you with heating and hot water. Lots of other ideas for eco friendly too. Personally I like lots of windows and natural light, but then, coming from the UK we need to get as much light and heating as possible.... :)

U.

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread