Two million homeless, thousands dead and injured!

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
It is a terrible thing, I wish to god that I could go over and help but finances are in my way.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it is what it is -- a horrible thing that will take much time , effort ,energy and money to fix --sadly haiti is and has long been one of the poorest countries in the carribean --- its all go's back to the fact that haiti gained its freedom by a slave revolt against the french . --- once the mob of slaves revolted and managed to get free -- banking interest and money loaners cut them off , having no "fixed" govt in control to milk money and assets from the people --the banker types were not interested in "investing" in the country period.

so being behind the fiscal 8 ball development wize, and being run thru the years by "strong man" type govts -- its general population has stayed poor and they never got ahead fiscally as a country.

simplemaninpr

Nov 27, 2009
The Mountains of Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
My heart goes out to the Haitian men living in Orlando that I knew whom work two and three jobs to send money to their families in Haiti. They are probably going insane, wondering if their wives, kids, siblings, moms and dads are okay.

Ernest

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great use for the "Everything Else" topic here. My heart goes out to all those whose lives have been devastated. It was like kicking a country while it was down. The global recession meant that the price of rice was too expensive for many folks to afford. Reading this report last year I almost lost it. And the fact that speculators were trying to drive up the asking price for "the best mud..." Appalling.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...rising-food-prices-drive-poor-to-eat-mud.html

Even then, it was unthinkable that the country could endure anything worse.

And now this.

My prayers are with them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
earthquake ? First I Heard.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may sound heartless or as if I'm making light of the situation, BUT, the biggest problem with supplying aid to Haiti is that the government, if you can call it that, is so corrupt that only a small percentage of the aid will be distributed to those that need it most. I'm not proposing that we don't try, as a country, but I don't think much of the cold cash donated to this cause will make it to the intended citizens. Heck, that place wasn't safe to be in before the quake, can you imagine what despite people will do now? Too bad they don't have oil or copper deposits that we could benefit from. I remember, some years ago, there was a story on the news where the Coast Guard had detained a boatload of "Haitian Boat People" , as they were known as, to be immediately deported back to Haiti. These were Haitians that had lost hope in their country and were prepared to sacrifice EVERYTHING to come to America in leaky ol' boats and rafts to try and join, and contribute to, a free society. (kinda like America's pilgrims)There were many stories of these "boat people" but, what stands out in my memory is, as our government was getting ready to deport a boatload of them, the government was also holding up a commercial airliner and delaying it's takeoff destined for Russia. The reason they were doing that is there were people from the Russian Ballet aboard the aircraft and our government was hoping that one specific ballerina would defect to the US. That would blacken ol' Ruskies eye and make us look good. No such concerns for the Haitians. True story. I don't want to hear how much America loves the Haitians so therefore we are sending this or that, let's forego the rhetoric and just send some help.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
This may sound heartless or as if I'm making light of the situation, BUT, the biggest problem with supplying aid to Haiti is that the government, if you can call it that, is so corrupt that only a small percentage of the aid will be distributed to those that need it most. I'm not proposing that we don't try, as a country, but I don't think much of the cold cash donated to this cause will make it to the intended citizens. Heck, that place wasn't safe to be in before the quake, can you imagine what despite people will do now? Too bad they don't have oil or copper deposits that we could benefit from. I remember, some years ago, there was a story on the news where the Coast Guard had detained a boatload of "Haitian Boat People" , as they were known as, to be immediately deported back to Haiti. These were Haitians that had lost hope in their country and were prepared to sacrifice EVERYTHING to come to America in leaky ol' boats and rafts to try and join, and contribute to, a free society. (kinda like America's pilgrims)There were many stories of these "boat people" but, what stands out in my memory is, as our government was getting ready to deport a boatload of them, the government was also holding up a commercial airliner and delaying it's takeoff destined for Russia. The reason they were doing that is there were people from the Russian Ballet aboard the aircraft and our government was hoping that one specific ballerina would defect to the US. That would blacken ol' Ruskies eye and make us look good. No such concerns for the Haitians. True story. I don't want to hear how much America loves the Haitians so therefore we are sending this or that, let's forego the rhetoric and just send some help.

great points

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This MAY be a little off topic but pertinent to the situation. Recently we have had a few threads with topics about preparing for disasters and "survivalist" conversing with each other. Those who think there is no need to prepare for adversity should pay close attention to this disaster and the subsequent human suffering. The initial quake with all of the death, destruction and injury is bad enough but this will unfold to be much worse than it already is. In the capital city alone there are so many injured that even those with broken bones probably won't get professional medical attention. There is a shortage of things like pain medications. These people can't even avert the pain much less get a broken leg set properly. Many have no food or water. Thousands have no shelter; not even a place to relieve bodily functions. Pay attention to little details that come out in the news about what is really happening to the people and imagine yourself going through the same thing and try to think about what you could have done ahead of time to put yourself and loved ones in a more survivable situation. Woe be to those that are now relying on others around them for all of the care they need. If some of us can learn from these peoples suffering, and be prepared for our own catastrophe in the future, then maybe something positive can come out of all this.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prayers and Best Wishes go out to all that have been affected by this tragedy. :(

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
packerbacker said:
This may sound heartless or as if I'm making light of the situation, BUT, the biggest problem with supplying aid to Haiti is that the government, if you can call it that, is so corrupt that only a small percentage of the aid will be distributed to those that need it most. I'm not proposing that we don't try, as a country, but I don't think much of the cold cash donated to this cause will make it to the intended citizens.

Unfortunately this seems to be standard issue with these types of countries. Haiti may as well be Somalia, or most African countries.

I, too, wondered how much foreign money would go towards rebuilding the palace as people starved.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturna said:
packerbacker said:
This may sound heartless or as if I'm making light of the situation, BUT, the biggest problem with supplying aid to Haiti is that the government, if you can call it that, is so corrupt that only a small percentage of the aid will be distributed to those that need it most. I'm not proposing that we don't try, as a country, but I don't think much of the cold cash donated to this cause will make it to the intended citizens.

Unfortunately this seems to be standard issue with these types of countries. Haiti may as well be Somalia, or most African countries.

I, too, wondered how much foreign money would go towards rebuilding the palace as people starved.

Well First off I Can see the EMails Coming in
Requesting Donations. Definately Don't Donate.
they will All Be scams.

Real Charaties Don't Spam

you want help to get to the people
contact the Red Cross

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
texastee2007 said:
we were not being heartless just on another thread....

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,285975.0.html

why in this countries hour of desperation...pain and death...must God be removed from the thread???? Shouldn't the thread have been moved to Religion instead of deleted?? There was some very good information on it....The mere fact that a member had predicted the event should be worthy of something.

I Can Live with That.

Moved To PROPHECY

Forgot about it's Existance

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
jeff of pa said:
texastee2007 said:
texastee2007 said:
we were not being heartless just on another thread....

why in this countries hour of desperation...pain and death...must God be removed from the thread???? Shouldn't the thread have been moved to Religion instead of deleted?? There was some very good information on it....The mere fact that a member had predicted the event should be worthy of something.

I Can Live with That.

Moved To PROPHECY

Forgot about it's Existance

Thank you Jeff.

Haiti is approx 6,856,960 acres in July 2008 the population was approx 10,033,000 people.

No Problem !
I Have no Case against what Anyone Believes,
I Just don't want to see it Forced on Somone
in a Forum or thread where it is Off subject.

especially if there is a forum or thread
where it is on subject :wink:

I Wouldn't allow a Discussion
of Favorite Recipes in a Post on a Gold Coin Find.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Saturna said:
packerbacker said:

Well First off I Can see the EMails Coming in
Requesting Donations. Definately Don't Donate.
they will All Be scams.

Real Charaties Don't Spam

you want help to get to the people
contact the Red Cross

Text "HAITI" to 90999

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/haiti.asp

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some perspective for ya. Last year, Oracle's CEO earned 84.6 million; Walt Disney's CEO earned 51.1 million for a total of 135.7 million dollars. Just heard that Obama has declared the US is pledging 100 million dollars for the Haitian relief efforts. :help:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
that seems fare....I am always guilty of using Everything Else for Everything Else including prayers for folks...you see it is just my natural path in life...everyday....so to me it fits..

well see there is actually a place for that also

Thinking Of You
The place to post moral support, encouragement and to offer best wishes to our members!

I admit to being lenient on that on occasion
as long as it's directed at a Person for Comfort Reasons.

But Discussions on Bible Verse,
Quoting Scripture for Other reasons turn Subjects off course.
Just like we are doing Now :tongue3:

Please lets get this back on Haiti & The Poor People !

JEFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread