SEVERE case of Injustice

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
He was off campus...for me as long as he had the proper hunting license to back his and his friends story....I think in this instance the school officals will loose.

I personally don't have as much problem with the school, they are 100% wrong, but I have a bigger problem with the lawmakers who gave the school the legal right to search his vehicle off campus. Where were the people when they allowed this law to pass with out an outcry. They need to repeal that law.....

OP
OP
sniffer

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
and these same schools complain, saying they don't have enough funding. go figure, they waste
the money on lawyers fighting lawsuits caused by their own stupidity

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
texastee2007 said:
He was off campus...for me as long as he had the proper hunting license to back his and his friends story....I think in this instance the school officals will loose.

I personally don't have as much problem with the school, they are 100% wrong, but I have a bigger problem with the lawmakers who gave the school the legal right to search his vehicle off campus. Where were the people when they allowed this law to pass with out an outcry. They need to repeal that law.....

I to feel the way you do, but it might be a loose loose point for the school...these are most likely good kids...what would we be posting if it had been the kids that go and try and wipe out the school with guns? just trying to see both sides.... I love to hunt and fish...but sometimes people use guns for something else.

Yes you are correct on that point, but it still is an attack on our constitutional rights under the Forth Admendment.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

The truck was private property, parked on public property, and I am willing to bet it was locked as well. I bet there was no search warrant either.

According to the report the parent says "Parisio said it's an important distinction that her son's truck was parked on a public street. "I asked the police and the district attorney's office if he did anything wrong and they said no," Parisio said. However, school officials disagreed. They told Parisio state law gives them "the right to search any of the student's vehicles no matter where they're parked or what they're doing during school hours."

By that definition, they are saying they could search the boys truck parked at his home......

I bet this does not stand up in court, and if I was the parent I would file a lawsuit once it is thrown out......

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
I think this is BS also, no reasoning what so ever.

I'm glad the NRA is stepping up for this young hunter.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If everything is as it is written in the article then this is one more case of the system being out of control.

My question is. What made them look for his truck and bring in a sniffing dog at that particular time? I am NOT defending the school but I have to wonder if there was something with this student's history. If that is the case, then they should have alerted the cops i would think. I know that in my time i have found myself in places with items that were not welcome but no one was the wiser.

Also, I wonder if the truck is in the name of the student or parents? Would be interesting if it was registered to the parents and the school decided to search it off school property. :wink:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
state law gives them "the right to search any of the student's vehicles no matter where they're parked or what they're doing during school hours," she said.

So if his Mother used the Truck to Go shopping at a Mall,
while he was in School,

The School has a Right to go Search it ? ???

very sad

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
state law gives them "the right to search any of the student's vehicles no matter where they're parked or what they're doing during school hours," she said.

while he was in School,

The School has a Right to go Search it ?
???

very sad

Thats kind of what i was thinking.

What if the father (or mother) went duck hunting while he was in school?

I need to find an "outraged" smiley. >:(

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I was in high school, the "rural" guys, who had pick-up trucks, would park in the school lot all of the time with rifle racks in their rear windows. Yes, there would occasionally be a .22 or a shotgun.
Sometimes the principal would come out after school and talk about huntin' and such with these fellas. Never any problems.

Times sure have changed... :'(

Scott

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:

while he was in School,

The School has a Right to go Search it ? ???

very sad

Parisio said it's an important distinction that her son's truck was parked on a public street. "I asked the police and the district attorney's office if he did anything wrong and they said no," Parisio said.

However, school officials disagreed. They told Parisio state law gives them "the right to search any of the student's vehicles no matter where they're parked or what they're doing during school hours," she said.

If I am reading the article correct it sounds like it was the school that searched the vehicle, and not the police, since the police said he did nothing wrong......

Very glad to see the NRA is involved, they have deep pockets and good attorneys...Always pays to be a member of the NRA if you do any hunting at all..... :icon_thumright:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Power hungry control freaks in the NEA, the litigious nature of everyday life (blame the lawyers) and the overreaching kneejerk reaction to school shootings (well meant, perhaps, but things like this complicate/destroy lives for no reason) are all part of it. I wonder if private schools are any different?

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
DigginThePast said:
If everything is as it is written in the article then this is one more case of the system being out of control.

My question is. What made them look for his truck and bring in a sniffing dog at that particular time? I am NOT defending the school but I have to wonder if there was something with this student's history. If that is the case, then they should have alerted the cops i would think. I know that in my time i have found myself in places with items that were not welcome but no one was the wiser.

Also, I wonder if the truck is in the name of the student or parents? Would be interesting if it was registered to the parents and the school decided to search it off school property. :wink:

Most (emphasis on MOST) kids that have the gumption to get up EARLY (there's a foriegn concept for most kids) to go and sit in a duck blind are NOT the type of kid one has to worry about.

As for who owns the vehicle, are there any states that allow a minor to hold title OR register a vehicle ?

Diggem'

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
I agree some important parts are missing from that article....like why they had a dog of that type in that area anyway so it alerted to that truck since it was on a public street....would love to especially know what this law says that they mention...what the wording is that the school district thinks it justifies this.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggemall said:
DigginThePast said:

Most (emphasis on MOST) kids that have the gumption to get up EARLY (there's a foriegn concept for most kids) to go and sit in a duck blind are NOT the type of kid one has to worry about.

As for who owns the vehicle, are there any states that allow a minor to hold title OR register a vehicle ?

Diggem'

Agree with you about the usual type of kid that gets up to go duck hunting before school (I know and train some of them :) ). I just can't figure how the school would have found his vehicle and why they even went looking for it much less with a dog. I don't mean to come down on the kid. Could be a gun hating principal that has it in for him too.

As for holding title. I got my first car at seventeen and it was in my name as was insurance. This was in Ct in the 80's. Don't know about other states or eras.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I renewed my carry license (last August), I discovered a change that was made to Mississippi's concealled carry law. It is now LEGAL to have a gun in your private vehicle on any school campus in the state. If you legally own the weapon and it's YOUR vehicle, you are legal. :thumbsup: Now, if we can get the legislators to make one more change, it'll all be gravy. We cannot legally carry in public parks, but to my way of thinking, that's one of the very places we need to have a little "som'thin" for self-protection. We don't want the druggies and thugs to be the only people to be armed. :laughing7:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack - How about getting them to recognise the Constitution and doing away with their "permission slips" aka "carry license". I mean this for all states, not just yours. :thumbsup:

I can dream right?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin, you have my vote on that idea. :thumbsup: As I've said before, the $125 fee for 5 years isn't too bad a charge for not getting a felony jacket at the cop shop. I "carried" before I could afford the license fee, but then saved the money and bought my "insurance policy". :laughing7: If Obamao and his cronies keeps up their sh--, there's going to be a real uprising in this country. I'm curious as to what kind of underhanded crap the Demoncrats will try in Massachusetts this coming Tuesday.

OP
OP
sniffer

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Shortstack, this is not the political forum
keep it on the subject

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the schools "arms" only reach as far as "their" land goes --if its on the schools parking lot , its on school property and can be searched --if not , then they have clearly exceeded their legal reach.--the school does not own the public streets nor do they have the power to search things on a public street --thats the polices job if anyones (which the school did not call in it seems)--the local police and DA's office have failed to press any charges -- so I think its a clear case of over reacting and over reaching their powers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread