Anyone Else Addicted to Research??

Mr Ripley

Jul 31, 2009
Western PA
Hi all,

I have pretty much put all of the past year's find away and have found reasonable IDs for the vast majority of them. I really enjoy the detective work involved. It is one of the best parts of treasure hunting IMHO.

I figure that I will go back to family tree and future MD and bottle site research to get me through the cold winter. I can't seem to get enough mysteries to solve.

Yesterday I was digging through an antique shop an found a picture taken in the early 1900s of a young boy and a baby. There were names on the back of the envelope, and a stamp from the shop that took the photo. I bought this photo and fully intend to find someone who is descendant of these children and present them with this picture. I did this once before with a marriage certificate I found in a shop, it was very rewarding.

If you would like to see the picture and/or track the progress of my quest, you are welcome to visit the blog address in my signature.

Is anyone else addicted to searching for things beyond treasure hunting??

Thanks for reading

Mr R

OP
OP
Mr Ripley

Mr Ripley

Jul 31, 2009
Western PA
Rando said:
My name is rando, and I am a research addict.

;D

It started when i was in the third grade and would pull out encyclopedias at random, and just start reading.

I would read an entry until it led to something I was NOT familiar with, and then look THAT up, progressing for a while.

I remember the butterfly feeling I would get as I sat on the floor among the research section at the local library, leafing through volumes from the late 1800s..

Hi Rando, The first and most important step is admitting that you have a problem, we are here to help... :help:

I think that this may be a common denominator to most treasure hunters in general

Btw, aren't you the guy who dropped the cryptic Zevon reference not so long ago? Maybe not... :dontknow:

Mr R

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to have had an experience like this several years ago,before I had a MD,I found this old house out in the woods and started looking around the outside of it,and I never went inside because it looked like it would fall down ,Well anyway,I was looking around on the lawn and finding old bottles,cans,etc.,and then I found this old doll,about 7 inches long ,with a dress on and it was inside an old mason jar and buried under the ground,about 2 inches.Well it had a name inside of it,so I brought it home and started asking some old timers in my neighborhood if they new of any family that lived out there,well I got nothing,sooooo a couple of years later I was doing a trail build in a park and one of the girls that was helping us tells me that her mother might know who lived in the house because she grew up around there( I found out later that there was more homes out there but they burned down back in the 1930's).Well to make a long story short,it happens to be the week when Katrina hits New Orleans and her mom is down there ,so I finally get a hold of her by phone and she tells me that when she comes back to town we can talk,well low and behold,I meet her at her house and I show her the mason jar with the doll in it and she just stares at it for about 5 minutes and then starts crying,happy tears.Her dad gave it to her when she was about 5 years old and her brother hid it from her when she was about 6 or 7 years old and she never saw it again.She thanked me for it and asked me where I had found it,and I told her and she thought that that hose had gotten moved or had burned down like like the others.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not addicted but have a hard time stopping when I do because the leads just keep coming and take you in different directions. It's almost like the rush of a good find when you discover what appears to be the location of a site with great potential.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to be addicted to research. Each year, I try and come up with enough sites to keep six of us busy digging all year round. :wink:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm addicted to research, but I'm more addicted to the historical importance of a site. I found a lot of unreported native american sites in Oklahoma and reported them to the OK Archeaological Survey. I found a couple of sites connected to Camp Radziminski in Oklahoma that hadn't been ravaged by pot hunters and reported them to the proper authorities. As soon as I found a couple of things I stopped, as I realized I had found a spot from the 1850's that hadn't been disturbed until I stumbled onto it. It's still there and there's still stuff there, but no hidden army payroll or buried outlaw gold. I did a lot of research on Custer and the Washita fight, since I'm from that area, and have a lot of info from writers and descendants of the folks involved about troop movements and Indian camps along the Washita from up by Cheyenne down to Ft. Cobb. In my golden years I shall pursue that further, if I can still get in on the land.

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
I have to be addicted to research. Each year, I try and come up with enough sites to give six of us busy digging all year round. :wink:

If anyone is looking for old maps for their research..
I've uploaded more maps from my collection.
They show property owners, parks, schools, gold claims, mines, roads, trails, etc.

No registration, no logins - hopefully you'll get useful info from them.

Vin - Menotomy Maps
http://MenotomyMaps.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread