SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Handout photo released on October 6, 2005 by Everglades National Park shows a dead Burmese python which had apparently swallowed an American alligator. Wildlife biologists found the Burmese python with the hind quarters of a dead American alligator protruding from the snakes mid-section on September 27, 2005. The stomach of the python still surrounded the head, shoulders, and forelimbs of the alligator. The alligator measured 98 cm snout-vent length (SVL), with a total length (TL) of 194 cm, or about 6 feet 4 inches. Everglades National Park/Handout

Attachments

• r1893035670.jpg
    r1893035670.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,152

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Everyone has there opinion what they would do around snakes but I hate being suprised by them. I think I run my fastest when I see them.....lol

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm wtg at killin a cotton mouth it must have been asleep or unsuspecting wtg wtg u win a prize!!!! Or how long did you chase it and make its escape more futile?

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
As an outdoorsman with a pedigree of many generations and many years personally spent in the back-country, I am going to say that from now on I am rooting for the snake.

Why do people keep posting all of the crap they come across and shoot?

If you KILL it, you EAT it.

Spooky is right, it is easy to eat snake, and the meat is very tasty.

"I am afraid of snakes"

"I am afraid of coyotes"

"I am afraid of bears"

"I am afraid of mountain lions"

"I carry a gun for protection in the woods"

I AM SCARED OF YOU!

MOVE TO THE CITY OR NEXT TO A POLICE STATION!

I would rather hear about the treasure people find and pleasant things found in nature than shooting stuff. That should be on a gun forum. Just my opinion.

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All snake conversation aside, very cool old barn. I hope you get permission to detect there and keep us posted on your finds! Good luck :argue:

U

umrgolf

guys really.. If you were attacked by a snake, you would defend yourself. moccasins are aggressive and deftone, you are blatantly calling the author a liar? 100,000 approx people just died in Haiti yet people come out of the woodwork to defend the life of a POISONOUS, AGGRESSIVE snake :dontknow:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cotton mouths are very aggressive in the spring time of the year. I will not kill one deep in the woods but around where kids play they are goners.I would never kill a none poisonous snake. As a child I remember 3 times when a cottonmouth came out of the woods straight at us.One came into the bay where a bunch of kids were swimming and my friends blacklab went in after it long enough for the kids to get out of the water.It was the neatest thing I have ever seen a dog do.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
we had a cottonmouth attack our boat in alabama. the damn things are territorial. sometimes they hang from branches and drop into boats. my 73 year old mother is deathly afraid of snakes and as long as I'm around she won't see any, poisonous or not. the cats can have the rodents.

oldhermit34

Jun 21, 2007
columbus, ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 50
Hi, cottonmouths give birth to live young, viviparous. If the snake had eggs in it, there in Texas then you killed a non -poisonous snake. Picture sure looks poisonous.

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Spiders said:
guys really.. If you were attacked by a snake, you would defend yourself. moccasins are aggressive and deftone, you are blatantly calling the author a liar? 100,000 approx people just died in Haiti yet people come out of the woodwork to defend the life of a POISONOUS, AGGRESSIVE snake :dontknow:

I am not calling anyone a liar. Stop trying to stir things up.

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brother Rennie. Did you hit it 3 out of 3 or did you just unload on the thing like I would and hope for the best? :laughing7: Just Kidding!
I like snakes but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and it sounds like you did so congrats.

The important thing is that you might be able to metal detect this place and it sure looks like a promising site. Good luck on getting permission and if you get to hunt it I hope you fing lots of great stuff.

Ed

P.S. I know this post is about you possibly getting to hunt that spot and also taking care of the threat you encountered but everyones posting pics of snakes so I thought I'd post a couple of my wife and I playing with snakes.(and don't think for 1 second I wouldn't send one to snake heaven if I felt threatened, like or not like)

Attachments

• l_1ba2e8e044cf478db32aa55783a50b51.jpg
    l_1ba2e8e044cf478db32aa55783a50b51.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 715
  • l_fb11fb1417374dbd8a1474f22307993f.jpg
    l_fb11fb1417374dbd8a1474f22307993f.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 714

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Wow,
Can't believe some of the replies here.
What if the thread was titled " A little friend died today of a snakebite"
82 year old man wasn't fast enough to get away from aggressive cottonmouth.
I should have killed it but I don't believe in harming gods creatures.

Give the guy a break as he is down there to look out for the older gentleman.

Makton

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Suggested reading for poisonous snake lovers. http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/

I love snakes but I wont fool with a poisonous snake. They are even dangerous dead.

The politically correct course of action would be to transport it away from people but I would not advise it unless trained for this type of thing. Even professional snake handlers get bitten. This is not a pet.

U

umrgolf

SkyPirate said:
Iron Spiders said:

I am not calling anyone a liar. Stop trying to stir things up.

If youre going to reply to what I say, please read it first. I said that Deftone was calling the author a liar. The author stated he was rushed by the snake. Deftone asked him how long he chased it and sarcastically congratulated him.

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
Oh boy, here we go again with the snakeacide debate. Just ask the feller that wrapped one around his detector and later mounted it. To each their own. JJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread