Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firstly, I must say, I'm a complete non-violent Pacifist ;D
But, I don't like cats because they are not native to New Zealand; AND along with all the other introduced species, including stoats, weasels, ferrets, rabbits, some dogs and some humans, even some birds; they have caused the loss and extinction of too many of our native bird species, the very essence of New Zealand.

So I am not quite sure how to react to this story, that broke today.

When someone who thought they had the right to, shot 33 dogs.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3269732/Dog-massacre-charges-pending

Now, after taking in all that, consider this.
She required 10 hours of surgery to repair cuts to most of her body.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/dog-attacks/news/article.cfm?c_id=575&objectid=10622463

Here's our current companion of the species - walkandfeedme
Don\'t mess wid me.JPG

Even as I stamp on that poor little ant or scuttling cockroach, I do believe, every death should be justified and dignified.

This thread is open for comment. :icon_flower:
Cheers, Mike

OP
OP
trikikiwi

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They might be cute little fellows - but they don't belong here.

Stoats, ferrets & weasels (mustelids)
Mustelids are
. . .slender bodied carnivorous mammals that naturally occur throughout Asia, Europe and North America. Three species were introduced into New Zealand.

Mustelid facts
"Now you see it now you don’t" - might be the best description of all that most people see of a ferret, stoat or weasel. Mustelids are widely distributed in New Zealand, but because they are small, secretive and fast moving, they are difficult to observe in the wild.

Mustelids have a huge impact on New Zealand’s native species. Stoats kill 40 North Island brown kiwi chicks per day on average which adds up to 15,000 per annum. That accounts for 60 per cent of North Island brown kiwi born. Another 35 per cent of the chicks are also the victims of other predators including ferrets. Of the North Island brown kiwi that hatch, only five per cent survive. Controlling mustelids will make a significant difference to survival chances of North Island brown kiwi whose population is halving every decade.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation.../animal-pests-a-z/stoats-ferrets-and-weasels/

Mike

OP
OP
trikikiwi

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.22 is a good start
[/quote]

point two two is a good end too ;D

Opossums are equally 'displaced' here in NZ - as in, they too should never have been introduced - as they in their millions, daily devour our Native Forests , where the Native Birds live.
We are slowly, slowing down the loss of species of every living thing, but without aggressive pest control, we could lose all our Natural heritage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread