Are there any other wimpy detectorists out there besides me?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't relate because I have no problem hunting in any of those conditions, or worse. As long as you're dressed for it there's no reason not to be out there.

Wimpy Wimpy Wimpy!

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm wimpy when it comes to heat. I can stand the cold & snow, but heat & humidity? forget about it!

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see, I am the exact opposite...I can detect all day long in 90+ temps but DO NOT like the cold.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear said:
I'm wimpy when it comes to heat. I can stand the cold & snow, but heat & humidity? forget about it!

The heat is the one thing that forced me into a 2 hour break a couple years back. I was on little sleep, and it had been one of the hottest days of the year up to that point. I'm pretty stubborn but not stupid enough to keep going when I knew I was getting close to the danger zone. Just the 5 minutes to get back to the car seemed like 20, and near the entire jug of water went over my head. Air conditioning got cranked and that was just enough to keep me ok until I got home to relax and recover. I had a guest here so felt a little pressure to get back out, but was ok for the last few hours of the day. Considering the heat and how dangerous it can be I would not call someone wimpy for passing on detecting on days like that.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome to come to Wisconsin and hunt in January!

In some places the ground's not frozen (but it is where there would be targets) - Murphy's Law.

One thing I've learned about the heat is that you HAVE to stay hydrated. It is all too easy to get behind, and then there's no catching up.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
Wow IP, sounds like you almost had heat stroke.

I think I was getting closer to that point than I ever wanted to be. Another factor was I hadn't spent many days in the Sun, so basically went from cool Spring weather into the frying pan. After a good sleep I went out the next day in near the same conditions and was fine, so that told me it was everything added up that got me on day 1. On the bright side I did find a very cool 1700s axe. I will forever connect that find to how damn hot it was for me that day.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the summer I have my large cooler filled with ice and at least 15-20 bottled waters (some for pouring over my head) in my truck....very important to stay hydrated....and plenty of sunscreen, but I love it!

Things are looking up though...next weekend it is supposed to be sunny and mid 60's for the high. :icon_sunny:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
In the summer I have my large cooler filled with ice and at least 15-20 bottled waters (some for pouring over my head) in my truck....very important to stay hydrated....and plenty of sunscreen, but I love it!

Things are looking up though...next weekend it is supposed to be sunny and mid 60's for the high. :icon_sunny:

We don't really have extreme heat here so I'm usually not too bothered. I do take water to pour over my head, it definitely being the best way to cool off. I sure would love a few days like that right now.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
thrillathahunt said:

We don't really have extreme heat here so I'm usually not too bothered. I do take water to pour over my head, it definitely being the best way to cool off. I sure would love a few days like that right now.

I'll drink to that! :occasion14:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I agree, it's not the lack of desire, it's the thickness of the frozen ground

B

BIG61AL

I can detect in all but the extreme hot days, 100 degrees or more. Now the cold is something else. I prefer to not wear gloves. It interfears with my tactile finger manipulation. My hands still get cold even with gloves so I'll wait until it's warmer and the ground is soft again.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i wear a 2 liter camel back bladder when i go out in the summer about 3/4 full of water the 1/4 full of ice water stays cool so does my back run out of water the ice melts got more water i also dig till i cant put the lesche tools into the ground any farther than a inch then i retire for the year

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
olepossum said:
i wear a 2 liter camel back bladder when i go out in the summer about 3/4 full of water the 1/4 full of ice water stays cool so does my back run out of water the ice melts got more water i also dig till i cant put the lesche tools into the ground any farther than a inch then i retire for the year

camel packs are great things :headbang:

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dpitt8 said:
olepossum said:

camel packs are great things :headbang:

When the ground gets too hard to dig like the drought caused last year, no worries, I simply head to the lakes and detect there. :thumbsup:

S

stefen

Its better sometimes, to be old and wimpy (above ground) than to be old and brave (below ground)...

This is just a passing comment and its not meant to mean I'm old and wimpy...

But there are times when sitting next to the fireplace beats all :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread