I have a good idea....

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
or at least I believe it is.
It would be in the novelty toy vein. How does one go about getting an idea from the brain to the manufacturing stage? Also, how do you protect that idea from being copied and stolen?
I know this would sell like the proverbial "hotcake".
I've seen ads on TV, for inventors, but am unsure if they are legit or what their scam is.
Anyone have any experience with aforementioned? True good advice would be rewarded if my "toy" reaches fruition.

Thanks,
BW

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BW, haven't heard from you in a while, good to see you back. My father in law is somewhat of an inventor and I know has applied for patents. I could get some ideas from him.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Write a detailed description of your idea. Get it notarized. Mail it to yourself but do not open it. Then talk to your attorney.

Or...

:evil7: Let me help you with this, just sign here. :evil5:

;D ;D

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Thanks all,

Thrillatthahunt, good to hear from you and...you have mail.

Spooky...I haven't even told the wife. :wink:

Digginthepast...explain further please.

BW

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the second part of my post was just fun.

The first thing I would want to do with a great new idea is to try and protect it while going through the design and manufacturing stage. I would first talk to my attorney whom I would presume would refer me to a patent attorney. Then you have to decide if you will pay to manufacture, distribute and promote your product, partner with someone that has experience with doing this or sell the idea outright with or without royalties.

The idea of writing a detailed description of your idea, then have it notarized and then mailing it to yourself (keeping it sealed) is that if someone should try to steal your idea you could present the sealed envelope in court as evidence that it was your original idea with a date stamp and third party witness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread