My latest hilltop home design......

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This is still VERY rough but has a LOT of what I am looking for - uplift, viewing areas, durability, no dead air spaces around the base of the house, protected front door (dry and shaded), etc. etc. etc..

The kitchen was just a quick cut and paste - not much like it will eventually be - IF I survive long enough to build this! :P

... again, I created this in Google Sketchup.

HTML:
<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="40" align="center">
	<tr>
		<td colspan="2" align="center" valign="middle" bgcolor="#000000">
<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rzt9YL5Vcig&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rzt9YL5Vcig&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table>

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the design. It seems you have been able to retain a lot of things you were looking for in your first idea. The ideas are endless with wrought iron railings and such on the inside. The place looks comfortable and will be open enough to entertain.
The patio on top is fantastic. I have liked that idea for a long time. They are creating green spaces on roofs in some citys and the technology for the sub roof has really taken off. I had designed one once where my master bedroom was on the top floor overlooking a roof top patio and the inside opened up to railings looking down on the lower levels.
Looks like you have a winner on this one. Now to keep the cost down :thumbsup:
Happy building :icon_sunny:
TnMtns
P.s liked the video

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for your comments! It's still in the very early concept stage - but I LIKE the scale, the interesting little corners (places) etc... and the HUGE viewing area on the roof. (and what a great place for a small elevator eh? ;D)

I actually had a very detailed dream a few months ago about the interior... this morning I couldn't sleep thinking I'd better put that dream down on paper.... in the dream, there was also a wrap around bar - and the bar / kitchen area was raised... or I should say the living room was sunken... so I still have a lot of modeling to do... (about the cost - I'm going to win the lottery this week, didn't I tell ya! ;D)

I like the way the sun will stream in from the south to lighten the entire length of the main structure. I also like the angled garage - that will give some privacy and funnel the breeze. 8)

Thanks again! :icon_thumleft:

edit: I just calculated the square footage... the roof alone is 7361 sq. feet! With garage, interior lower rooms, garage, etc. we are talking about an almost 10,000 square foot home YIKES! I guess this is the consummate DREAM house!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading a Clive Cussler novel some years ago. The main character lived in a large warehouse type structure. He drove his car into his living room it seemed. Where his collection/collections of Cars and curiosity's were. It had a open second story over looking everything below. I always thought that was a cool concept.
Your house reminds me of that. Open floor plan filled with an interesting object in every nook and cranny. That is the way to live. Enough square footage to lay out many things that most are reluctant to pack away. Fun to entertain yet comfortable enough to navigate. The deltec home I had spoken of earlier was around 8,000 square feet. Am sure the footage can be adjusted to fit a budget while retaining your dream. Keep us posted its looking like fun.
TnMtns

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks - I didn't win the lottery this week, so I guess I'll just have to keep pushing the TNet ball up the Hill. :-)

I am in contact with 2 different architectural firms.. both of them like my design.... and are willing to help.... woo hoo...

My current thoughts....

That is one heck of a roof span.... without internal wall support.....

plan.gif

...over 31' in the main living area... so I am thinking it's going to need a lot of steel trusses like the Pratt Top Chord....

trusses.jpg

The garage / game room roof will need some supports too...

Bottom line... either I have very good taste (and am very wealthy), or I will just have to keep DREAMING!!!!

sigh.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course they love it. It presents problems with the spans. They like that. A few key interior walls stacked over each other(like bath rooms and bed rooms) can bust up those spans and save you some money. The Pratt trusses are similar to what we used when building Malls.
Nothing wrong with getting the prices and going from there. I only took a couple years of Mechanical Engineering so I always call a buddy for his rubber stamp :icon_sunny:.
Not qualified for the strength of material but the answers are easy to come by.
Keep having fun and keep us updated

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions