Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
If I Were Rich I'd Buy....

the Nautilus metal detector company.

I think it has the greatest potential for future investment in this hobby field.

I'd keep the original IIb, dump the IIba and all those earlier models. I'd then invest in a brand new Nautilus.

Okay, so, what would you buy?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: If I Were Rich I'd Buy....

If we're buying companies then I'll pass on detectors and buy the Breitling watch company. I can afford another detector but not another watch.

Actually..... If rich I wouldn't buy anything and just stay rich. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Iron Patch said:
If we're buying companies then I'll pass on detectors and buy the Breitling watch company. I can afford another detector but not another watch.

Actually..... If rich I wouldn't buy anything and just stay rich. :thumbsup:

Good one.

But I've reached that ripe (rotten) age where I'd like to play with a metal detector company. ;D

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's not so much "the company" that interests me; it is the skilled and dedicated people who make the product. Everyone from research and development, the assemblers to even the mail room personnel who consistently provide a quality product is the foundation of a successful company.

If I were rich, I'd cherrypick the best examples of staff from ALL the metal detector companies and start my own company. Of course proprietary issues would have to be addressed...

Scott

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

I would buy a two box detector and a gold dectector. When I had both, I would set out on an adventure across the nation.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

AU24K said:
It's not so much "the company" that interests me; it is the skilled and dedicated people who make the product. Everyone from research and development, the assemblers to even the mail room personnel who consistently provide a quality product is the foundation of a successful company.

If I were rich, I'd cherrypick the best examples of staff from ALL the metal detector companies and start my own company. Of course proprietary issues would have to be addressed...

Scott

Yes.

Wouldn't that be a blast doing this?

If one had billions of ready cash just imagine the machine one could make? One could hire not only the best technicians from the hobby field but also from much higher levels.

The detector would never make a profit but it would revolutionize the hobby forever.

When you stop to think about it, over the last decade, who besides Minelab has really been investing any serious money into genuine new technology?

S

stefen

I'd buy the battery manufacturering company... :coffee2:

Attachments

• BUNNY RABBIT.jpg
    BUNNY RABBIT.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 419

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

Yes, buy the Nautilus company and the JW Fishers company. Incorporate all the features of both in one detector capable of switching from pulse to DMC ll simply by flipping a switch. Now that would be a detector. One coil would be capable of running pulse or vlf. Also, I would mount a TDI meter on it that would work with both VLF and PI. Well, seems I just about covered everything in one detector. Rockhound

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kinda off topic, but, if I was that rich, I'd hire a scribe (secretary) to follow me around and take notes and follow up on my ideas...

Scott

PS. Can you spell, "eccentric?"

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

rockhound said:
Yes, buy the Nautilus company and the JW Fishers company. Incorporate all the features of both in one detector capable of switching from pulse to DMC ll simply by flipping a switch. Now that would be a detector. One coil would be capable of running pulse or vlf. Also, I would mount a TDI meter on it that would work with both VLF and PI. Well, seems I just about covered everything in one detector. Rockhound

Great idea. :thumbsup:

I'd just love to have charge of Nautilus. I think with it's reputation and faithful following it's a hidden goldmine waiting to be discovered.

Like I wrote above, I'd keep the original IIb at least for a few years. What I'd do is get a group working on a new coil design. I'd want a balanceable coil that's virtually indestructible. No more bad Nautilus coils needing to be sent back to the factory.

Then I'd want the detector to offer the option of automatic and manual coil balancing. I'd also want the option of automatic or manual ground balancing in both all-metal and discrimination.

A meter option, mono or multiple tones.

I'd also make the mono DMC PING that now indicates the "good" target to have the option of mono or tones for the various target types.

I'd keep all the functions found on the IIb but dump that condensation loving metal box and make the whole unit much lighter (shaped more like a T2).

I'd want a 6, 10, 12, 15 and 20 inch coil options (ultra light coils).

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd buy a flock of cheerleaders in muck boots and short skirts to follow me around and cheer me on during my hunts. ;D

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

BuckleBoy said:
I'd buy a flock of cheerleaders in muck boots and short skirts to follow me around and cheer me on during my hunts. ;D

Heck, I would have them dig all my holes. :icon_thumleft: :laughing9:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you had billions in dollars why would you need a detector? :icon_scratch:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

BuckleBoy said:
:sign13: That's a good one!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

BuckleBoy said:

Well now who could beat this? :thumbsup:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michigan Badger said:
BuckleBoy said:

Well now who could beat this? :thumbsup:

I could, but this is a family forum! :wink:

Best-Mike

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT

If I had an endless supply of money, I'd probably buy the grandest salvage vessel I could find and set off on researching lost vessels. Of course I'd end up spending all my time fishing off of the stern of it instead of looking for treasure, but I tend to get distracted from time to time.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigwater said:
If I had an endless supply of money, I'd probably buy the grandest salvage vessel I could find and set off on researching lost vessels. Of course I'd end up spending all my time fishing off of the stern of it instead of looking for treasure, but I tend to get distracted from time to time.

I'm kind of the same way.

I would set myself up for land and water treasure hunting. Best of everything. Spare no expense. Fantastic boat, dive gear, expedition vehicles, electronic equipment, and last but not least a few of the orneriest burros I could find. I would spend about a year as a stinky burro prospector just traveling the deserts and mountains looking for lost mines.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Best-Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread