How vulnerable will you be?

simplemaninpr

Nov 27, 2009
The Mountains of Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Let's see. I have survived seven hurricanes, y2k, three weeks of isolation snowed in in the Ozarks, a couple of car wrecks, a motorcycle wreck, two electrocutions, and a drowning. I have been shot at, beaten by a gang of teens, and terrorized by redneck racists. Inspite of all of this I have managed to raise a family of six children by growing gardens, hunting game, building my own house, and keeping self employed.

Life is hard and yet most of us manage to get through it the best we can. 2012 may be real but, what the heck difference will it make when the do do hits the fan. If it is your time to go then it is YOUR TIME to go.

Having all "those" rounds of ammo, stock piles of food and such may sound like a good thing but, all it will do is encourage the others to attack you for it. Keep it simple boys, keep it simple. Lights out is better than you being the ONLY ONE with a generator. Think about it.

Ernest

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In response to your post simpleman, I totally agree, if things are bad you don't fire up the generators just to light up the house and draw attention to yourself. Fuel would be a treasured commodity and used only for necessities such as firing up the well (which is on the property) for drinking water for us and livestock, to cook with, bath with and, if needed, keep garden plants alive and water the fruit trees. We also have a quantity of bread and wheat flour for making bread where water and baking capability is needed. Firing up the generators once in a while would also keep the food in the freezers frozen. They can also be used to charge cell phones and, in conjunction with the battery charger, can charge vehicle batteries or power up the ham radios if needed. Both sons and a daughter-in-law are licensed ham radio operators. Heat is not a problem as it never gets so cold here that you would need more than a few blankets to keep you comfy. The ammo is mainly for hunting. Depending on the time of year the property becomes a flyway for migrating ducks and geese. That's food flying right over the house. :icon_thumleft: That's what shotguns are for. The majority of the ammo is 22 caliber which would be the best method of taking small game from little birdies and rabbits to turkeys. I know, use shotguns on turkeys but that's not if you're in survival mode. Then the larger caliber is for deer and wild pigs around my neck of the woods. The Winchester 338 mag can really reach out there and touch something. Of course you can use guns for defense also. As a matter of fact, one of my sons was shot at with a rifle twice by a bail skipper just the other day. My son answered with 4 quick, accurate rounds from a 9mm into the window area the shots came from. The guy gave up immediately, opened the door and threw the rifle on the ground but had a pistol in his hand. He kept his hands up but kept his back turned to my son so my son wouldn't shoot and walked off into the woods. Just giving you a clue to handling gangs of wild teens and redneck racists.
Anyway, we don't spend every day of our lives PLANNING our survival, it's just the way we live normally. Through day-to-day living you learn that some things are just nice to have around in various situations. We've had the well go out before. I have a small swimming pool out back and I'd take a bucket out there, fill it with water and flush the toilet. Water was nice to have!

kawalabear

Jun 24, 2008
eastern shore MD.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
well we live in the country, we (my boyfriend myself and both my boys) know how to hunt skin and gut just about any think that moves, fish for crabs, eel ,fish just about anything , grow gardens, and really cook homemade food, bread ect.. it would be a pretty big change but we would get along and survive , its all in problem solving .

the city folks would be the ones in danger i think.

as said before on this post . we can skin a buck and run a trout line , county boy can survive.

we need a camo smily face for us country folk.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cappy Z. said:
Forget the Mayan prophecies and think about NASA's 2008 report on the coming solar flares between 2012 and 2015. There is a real chance large parts of the US will be without power for months.

The question is, what will your neighborhood be like in the days and weeks that follow?

No police communication, no TV radio internet. No lights. No gasoline station pumps.

Virtually no communication capabilities for months.

Strange but real. This could be a very real probability. It could get very ugly.

Interesting question...

I love out in the middle of nowhere (almost literally!)
No police around, and no gasoline station either.
I suppose this little village would work together to get it rollin'.
There are many 'Jack of all trades' here.

With no TV etc it would get more social, most likely.
With no light fires would light the sky where they can.
We have a little store here which has enough food to keep us going a while.
Gets new supplys 2x a week. (So they don't run out often)
Also people here tend to gather larger supplys of food because the stores are few and far in between.

Several here are also trained in outdoor survival and/or military training. (Often also having guns and/or other weapons)
A good reserve of wild life is available for food. (Both fish, deer, Cariboou, Moose and so on..) :thumbsup:
Water is no problem, the streams are fresh and have good water. (Just gotta break through the ice)
Other cold springs (natural) are also close by, they hardly never freeze. :headbang:

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
The entitlement crowd will starve to death sitting on a curb waiting
for their FEMA card and the government to come help them. By the
time they realize that no help is coming ever their options will be limited
to violence. Lone sociopaths will join with others to form viscious gangs
that will loot and prey on others. When there is no longer anything left
to sustain them in the cities they will fan out and begin hitting the isolated farmsteads. As equipment breaks down and gasoline supplies dwindle they
will be forced to use horses for travel. After many easy victories where
dozens of them attack and overwhelm families of four they will eventually
hit a large well prepared group and cease to exist. Ten years down range as civilization begins to reform on our continent and in our world justice will
be blind and harsh. The list of capital crimes will be very long. There will be
no gimmes in criminal puinishment or in personal responsibility. Many folks who don't like that form of justice will be increasingly lonely. They will feel that they are all alone and have no one to talk to. they will be right.
siegfried schlagrule

kawalabear

Jun 24, 2008
eastern shore MD.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
i was talking to my 17 yr old after posting here today, he knows how to do most hunting camping type things. he just couldn't understand that it isn't the ones who know how to survive but the ones who don't that will be the problem and we would need to be even more prepared to be able to hold on to what we have.

i couldn't get it through his head that there is people who don't know anything about living unless it comes from a store and those people will very quickly come to the country to try to get food & water some would walk right through a stream to get to your house to ask for water.

i hope he never has to see the reality of what could happen .

people who think out side of the box will survive .

what things do you do now that would come in handy in a disaster?

we already use the outdoor solar yard lights when the power goes off so we can play cards ect..
and solar ovens are fun to make and a great project for kids.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't worry about it none

Been ready for many, many years.

I have everything I need and the training to use it.

:wink:

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
Iron Patch said:
Three letters.

Y2K.

Heh!

Rep to ya, Brother!
My thoughts EXACTLY!

But I'll still play the game:
XD9SC (9mm)
XD45 Tactical
CZ-75D PCR Compact (9mm)
Ruger GP-100 KGPF-330 3" short shroud!
Ruger GP-100 KGPF-340 4" short shroud!
Marlin 336Y .30-30
Remmy 870
L-O-T-S of ammo!

But anyways - the guns are only there to keep others away from my house.......and to provide MAXIMUM security for me when I make the trek down to the local Wal-Mart Superstore to absolutely stuff my van chock full of non-perishables via bypassing the registers! :thumbsup:

And I'll pass time MD'ing!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
We have contingencies in place to isolate a 3-4 county area from city hordes swarming or transported by a failing gov't into our area .
Our own moral problem is what to do with the 3rd/4th generation career welfare cheats/drug dealers/
petty thieves entrenched in our communities at present . Do we have the right to shun them from the
community on the getgo or do we need to wait for them to commit another crime and then kill them .
This is not a facetious post . It is something any group has to consider and come to agreement on before a real meltdown .

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Just tell them they need to go somewhere for their FEMA card and
then don't let them back in. siegfried schlagrule

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
For the short haul stock up on your booze, cigarettes and prescription
meds.
For the long haul get that still built and those plants in the ground.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
More scaremongering. If you can be taken by surprise then no amount
of guns or ammo will protect you.
Remember, the greatest danger lurks at home and happens when you
least expect it.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the present time there are 8 dogs between the three households that are on our adjoining properties. Ain't gonna be no surprises around here. We don't really believe there will be a meltdown or disaster that will require defending ourselves against mobs of thugs trying to get our food supplies but, we do believe everyone should be, at least, minimally prepared to avoid those big rushes on stores for food etc. when there is a known huge storm on the horizon. When that happens, the people that manage to make it into the stores before the storm hits, always, always, take more than they really need to get by for a few days leaving nothing for the rest of the unprepared. Happens all the time, not just when the Apocalypse comes. These "survivalist" threads are always interesting.........and fun. There are so many different attitudes that show during the exchange of ideas. There are those that think nothing will ever happen to them that they would need to plan for all the way to hiding weapons and ammo in secret places and hoarding a year's worth of nonperishable food. Most people, at least those living in industrialized countries, don't face having to depend on their own devices for survival during their lifetime so the odds are most will enjoy always having food, shelter and medical care always available to them. There are those however, that will experience adversity and will need to rely on whatever preparations they have made to survive the ordeal. Most people that buy life insurance don't actually believe they will be using it in the next few days but, they want to plan on the unknown. Same thing here as far as I'm concerned, I don't THINK it will happen but, just in case......................

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
Just tell them they need to go somewhere for their FEMA card and
then don't let them back in. siegfried schlagrule
Reasonable thought . Problem is that they are slow learners and will pull the "I Got Rights"
card first and demand that we carry their azzes in the fashion that they are accustomed to .

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I understand this is a non-issue IF the flares hit the southern atmosphere...but if it's heading to the northern atmosphere and our G'ment people don't shutdown the grid ...well you've read the above posts and the posiible outcome(s).

SO...

I was curious as to how this would affect Nuke plants. SO a friend of mine is married to a nuke engineer, he couldn't answer my questions direct but dictated them thru a 3rd party.

I asked what IF the power grid was taken out by a solar tsunami and worst case scenario we don't have power for over a year. This is his answer:

Nuclear plants have standby emergency generators complete with 7 days of fuel. If the grid was going to be down longer than that, alternate plans could be made to re-start the reactor and supply it's own power needs. Alternately, it can be cooled down using it's own heat and maintaining that condition indefintely. That means you could use the steam from the steam generators using natural circulation (law of physics never fails) and that steam supplies the mode of force for the auxiliary feed-water pump that re-supplies the water. It's a big cycle. The more heat, more steam, more energy for pump and more water to put it in and cool it. That water provides more than adequate water for cooling the reactor under the worst postulated circumstances. The decay heat, the heat in the reactor when it shuts down, lowers in an exponential fashion. Within 2 seconds it's down to about 1 percent reactor power and five seconds after that it's about down to half a percent. It continues to lower from there.
He says he could go on for a long time about the process ...

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good question, but I like to look at the brighter side. In times of disaster, I think you have to give people in general a little more credit as to being resourceful and compassionate than we currently do. Unfortunately it sometimes takes a disaster to bring out the best in man. People do come together in times of crisis. Yes there will be many problems, but I am sure as a people we will endure and suffer several hardships. I guess the biggest concerns are communication, money, transportation, food, and medical resources to name a few. What did man do in the 1700-1800's when they had little of the above? I guess we may just have to rough it for a while and post our finds when the grid gets up again.

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006
Spooky said:
kawalabear said:
well we live in the country, we (my boyfriend myself and both my boys) know how to hunt skin and gut just about any think that moves, fish for crabs, eel ,fish just about anything , grow gardens, and really cook homemade food, bread ect.. it would be a pretty big change but we would get along and survive , its all in problem solving .

the city folks would be the ones in danger i think.

as said before on this post . we can skin a buck and run a trout line , county boy can survive.

we need a camo smily face for us country folk.
lolrz!!!
:icon_thumright:

The danger isn't YOU not being prepared, the DANGER will be when the cityiots, knowing NOTHING but how to TAKE their whole lives, and being dependant on the government, relaize that the "stuff" is going to STOP COMING, and knowing not how to MAKE, but how to TAKE will do what they do best.

They will come to take YOURS.

I find a couple heads on stakes along the perimeter of the compound tends to get folks like that second guessing..... if not .... we got more stakes. Typically if you're too stupid to fend for yourself in a stable climate.... you're not going to fare much better in a hostile one.

Bring it.......

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones that are against owning firearms are the ones that are really going to be in trouble!! :thumbsup:

kawalabear

Jun 24, 2008
eastern shore MD.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
kuger said:
The ones that are against owning firearms are the ones that are really going to be in trouble!! :thumbsup:

yes unfortunately they will be the first hit when people realise this may last awhile. it is a shame we will have to defend ourselves maybe to extreams but ,it is human nature to try to survive, for some that will mean taking care of ourselves, for others it will mean talking from others.

that is just the way it is , it already happens everyday right now , just watch the news

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread