What happened to using the spell checker?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
My favorite is prolly.

When I pointed out the proper spelling to my son, he said "that just doesn't look right". I don't make it a point to pick at spelling and grammar, but he's in a job where he would be expected to know better, so I was just trying to help.

kawalabear

Jun 24, 2008
eastern shore MD.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
i know my spelling/grammar is terrible, but if you think that makes me lazy then so be it.
but let me say a little about me, i work as a landscaper on very high profile homes i dint get that by sitting under the trees watching others work, also i am very mechanically inclined in fact i have grown up working on outboards and cars since i was a baby ,my barbie had o rings and bolts for her jewelry and i used distributor caps as tables . also i went to collage and the papers were hard for me but i worked even harder to make sure i passed with with a 3.1 GPA, i was a surgical technologist , i have also helped my boyfriend work on the water i would love to take some office person out to help bait line and see how long they lasted before they blew chunks , i am very proud of the things i have accomplished in my life even being a girl i have done very well in the "mans" world .

my point is maybe you should think about what it must be like to not be book smart , it not easy and it gets harder all the time , which makes us work twice as hard so if you don't like bad grammar then dont read my post because i do try but i wont kill my self to make it perfect because really i dont care! i dont envy you book smart people you sit in an office, i am outside in the woods and on the water in the country and i get paid for it . :icon_salut: you cant beat that in my world.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sand man "your right?" is your reply when they snagged you on your "too" oppsie -- you are right. bad grammer --isn't that when my grammy drank too much hard cider and passed out?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my sentence frame work sucks , my spelling sux at times too -- I seldom if ever point out others spelling or grammer mistakes , but in this case , I did in jest --- he said "your right" --when "you are right" or "you're right" was the correct thing -- I think he said that in jest as well.

jeff456

Dec 15, 2008
kawalabear said:
i know my spelling/grammar is terrible,...........

Kawalabear, I like your response. In my work I meet a lot of different people and their spelling and grammar abilities are not always the deciding factor in the quality of person they are or the wealth they have or their worth as a person. I would say it has almost NOTHING to do with that.

I guarantee you that if you were with one of these folks who can spell and write, but could not fix a car to save their neck, you would be welcome company if they broke down on a deserted highway. Even more so if that same person were on a boat with you in open waters and you were able to fix an engine they knew nothing about.

I'd also bet that while you are out in the sun breaking your back doing landscaping they couldn't even imagine being able to keep up with you, much less do it day in and day out.

All I am saying is everyone has a place in this world and everyone has talents, in certain areas. It's how you use the talents you have that seem to make the difference. So while I might like to have Sandman proof read my business letter, I would much rather have your abilities handy on a road trip or going out into open water, or while landscaping my yard....

That is not to say Sandman couldn't do those things because I really don't know, and I have enjoyed reading his posts, so I like him too, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, good post!

Jeff

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
ivan salis said:
my sentence frame work sucks , my spelling sux at times too -- I seldom if ever point out others spelling or grammer mistakes , but in this case , I did in jest --- he said "your right" --when "you are right" or "you're right" was the correct thing -- I think he said that in jest as well.

What can we say but when your right, your right :thumbsup:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
To all,
Please forgive a short rant,

Begin rant,
I only posted to point out that we are only human,
We all make mistakes and on here it really shouldn't matter.
We all get along for the most part, famously, I am just as guilty as the next guy for missing the spellcheck.
But it matters not, as long as we have good clear pictures of the UFOs and the landscape we so often love to share.
Rarely is a member criticised for a lack of language controll or social graces here.
That is as it should be.

We come here to show our finds and encourage each other.
To help a new comer or to even enjoy company of others with similar likes.
That again is ... how it should be.
end rant.

Thanks,
Thom

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Excavator said:
The spellchecker in Firefox kicks out the word, spellcheck, but it doesn't kick out spellchecker. ???
;D

I have a love/hate relationship with Firefox.

I love the speed and stability over that MS piece of crap but one thing that drives me bippy is that sometimes when doing a message in my email it won't allow me to use apostrophes. Every time I try to do it's or you're or that's or ain't the @#$ thing kicks me right out of the email program.

End of rant.

What's this thread about?
Oh ya...
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp

S

stefen

Tried the spall ckecker and it said that Sandman is two (2) words and man is capitalized :coffee2:

Now, is the pan calling the kettle black?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
stefen said:
Tried the spall ckecker and it said that Sandman is two (2) words and man is capitalized :coffee2:

I don't wish to be picky but I believe it's....

"That's like ma kettle calling pa kettle---black."

S

stefen

Michigan Badger said:
stefen said:

I don't wish to be picky but I believe it's....

"That's like ma kettle calling pa kettle---black."

Like how the teenagers respond, 'Whatever.' :laughing7:
Hadn't heard the names; 'Ma & Pa Kettle since I kicked the slats out of my cradle...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions