spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I read an interesting post from texastee2007 regarding a neurological test and he had a paragraph with many of the words jumbled, yet most were able to read it with no problem. It is funny how the mind works, and yet at oft times seems to misfire on the spoken word.

This little test doesn't translate to writing, but you can say the following to another person and see for the most part people don't always hear what is spoken. I suggest that you practice the phrase and speak slowly in a clear voice and await their answer. It may surprise you.

Farmer Brown has twenty sick sheep, one died. How many does he have left?

Most will answer 25 instead of 19, because we think we are hearing 26 sheep, instead of 20 sheep.

Try it on a friend and let me know your results. I think most will get it wrong.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Just got my wife on it, she answered 25.

Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The funny thing I always tell people to listen very carefully as I will only say it once and I still get 25 :laughing9: If you want to make it a bet, just record as you are saying it and play it back to your mark ;D Once they hear it back they are amazed

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I have a dramatic hearing loss and learned to lip read as a young adult. Lip reading is not a very good way to pick up what is being said so I do pay attention to people when they talk.

With this hearing loss and a very good attention span, I still don't get the drift of the conversation for a minute or two at times. It does make the conversation lively when I go off a different direction with the topic and ask them to rephrase the statement for more information about what they intended me to hear to get them to focus on looking at me when they talk so I can hear better.

Isn't life wonderful.

If you know and old guy like me, look at him when you talk to him and speak clearly with a normal tone of voice plus one octave and find out that they are a normal person who just can't hear as good as they use to.

The sentence interpretation about the sheep is right on for a person with a hearing loss. That's why I ask for people to rephrase with more information.

Sorry that I'm writing a book. Nah.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
Spartacus...I'm a woman....or my husband is going to be real mad...LOL
i want to say it but i cant ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread