It was a truley perfect interview, ...but no offer.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I went into this interview with the feeling I am perfect for this job... and I was too. The description read just like my resume. As I sat there talking with him, he was truly wow'ed by me, and even said, "Mike I did not expect to be interviewing someone with your caliber". Everything he asked me about, I not only answered, but expanded on, on a completely higher level where only the true experts would be knowledgeable of. I even left the interview knowing that it was spot on and couldn't have went any better. He acted very pleased as well. All I had to do was wait for a call to go in for the next round of interviews with co-workers this time, not just he hiring manager.

Today I get the email that the jobs been offered to someone else (I was one out of 4). I didn't even get the second round of interviews.

Crazy, crazy, crazy.

arnoldziffel

Jan 8, 2010
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
mikeofaustin said:
I went into this interview with the feeling I am perfect for this job... and I was too. The description read just like my resume. As I sat there talking with him, he was truly wow'ed by me, and even said, "Mike I did not expect to be interviewing someone with your caliber". Everything he asked me about, I not only answered, but expanded on, on a completely higher level where only the true experts would be knowledgeable of. I even left the interview knowing that it was spot on and couldn't have went any better. He acted very pleased as well. All I had to do was wait for a call to go in for the next round of interviews with co-workers this time, not just he hiring manager.

Today I get the email that the jobs been offered to someone else (I was one out of 4). I didn't even get the second round of interviews.

Crazy, crazy, crazy.
i don't know your circumstances, but there could be a couple of reasons you didn't get a call back. 1 being that they figure you are overqualified and would leave as soon as the economy picked up and got another offer. Another possible reason is that because you were so qualified, they were looking to cheap-out and find someone trainable and less expensive. either way, it sucks. sorry for your situation and i hope you find something soon.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
ArnoldZiffel said:
mikeofaustin said:

Crazy, crazy, crazy.
i don't know your circumstances, but there could be a couple of reasons you didn't get a call back. 1 being that they figure you are overqualified and would leave as soon as the economy picked up and got another offer. Another possible reason is that because you were so qualified, they were looking to cheap-out and find someone trainable and less expensive. either way, it sucks. sorry for your situation and i hope you find something soon.

Thanks. I'm [barely] doing o.k. right now, but I'd really like to get back to a Mon-Fri job. Last week was my 1 year anniversary for being out of a real job.

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Sorry to hear that Mike. I was jobless for 5 months and know how stressful it can be. I was actually sent a letter stating that someone else received the job I had applied and interviewed for, but then two weeks later they called me back and asked if I was still interested as the first guy they selected was unable to get an access pass to the air base. Something must have came up in his background check. Sometimes things have a funny way of working out, and I'm sure something will surface for you. Best of luck,

DB

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Someone could have been afraid you would end up with their job.

Or as said earlier, they took the cheap route, thinking they couldn't afford you.

I wish you luck. :icon_thumleft:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MikeofAustin,

Maybe this will make you feel better (at least give you a chuckle).

I applied for a job. I was hired. They called and said I would be starting on Monday, for the evening shift (which I wanted, 6 pm to 6am).

Monday, at 5 pm, I got out of the shower and was drying my hair, getting ready for my first day. The phone rang and they laid me off!

B

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
texastee2007 said:
mikeofaustin said:

Crazy, crazy, crazy.

what kind of job was it? Did you leave a good impression behind...maybe the person they hired will not work out...they may turn out to not be able to do the job or......
Where I worked in California only about 1 out of 10 could even pass a urine test...man I couldn't believe the amount of people who take drugs...and the call it recreational...can you believe that? recreational....that is something you do with a fishing pole in your hand...not popping pills or drinking yourself silly...I walked into the office one time and 5 new hires where there watching a film...I called the Manager outside and asked him how he could not smell the liquor in the room. Now mind you I have a nose like a hound dog....but one of them was bleeding this stuff...He said everyone had passed their urine test...well see I said....sure enough I had to haul one of them in for drinking on the job...he was an extremely nice guy but a functioning alcoholic and after many complaints from customers he was fired. So this could happen at anytime.

Yeah, one headhunter called me asking the basics, then said after a long pause, "There will be a drug test". (another long pause), "They won't hire anyone that fails a drug test". After about the 3rd time, I said,
"Listen, I want you to understand that I don't use drugs. So it won't be a problem". He sounded relieved. I thought it was strange.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
It cost so much money in advertisement, training, materials...and just time...you might go through 200 people and find 10 that would pass the test...you start to get let down...anyway don't completely be let down...write a short note to the man who you were being interviewed by and tell him thank you very much for the chance to have spoken to him and if the new hire does not work out...you would love a chance to prove to him what kind of job you could do for the company...that it was exactly what you were looking for....who knows it could pay off...maybe another opening will show up and they will remember the person who was so full of energy and prepared to do a good job for them.

Thanks. I've already been working on that email :) It couldn't hurt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread