Isuzu Mechanic Needed- new problems

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Re: Isuzu Mechanic Needed

"Many unnecessary parts have been purchased by folks taking a trouble code at it's word."

Yep, those guys behind the counter at your local parts store love their code-readers and have no problem selling parts based simply on a code and usually have no real experience or training to assist when that [insert part here] they just sold does not fix the problem. (There are the rare few who DO know and will help, if you find such a person, stick with him/her)

Just like anything else, the best do-it-yourselfers are those who take the time to research the issue and are better able to make an informed decision on what it will take to fix it and know their limitations and act accordingly. Wish I had a nickle for every fuel filter that was sold because of a drivability issue. :wink:

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Excavator said:
Trouble codes are part of the diagnostic procedure, but won't always point directly to the problem. How that code and it's component works with the rest of the system has to be considered. Many unnecessary parts have been purchased by folks taking a trouble code at it's word.

Being a bit under the weather today, I'm not as sharp as I could be, but I'll offer this until I can read this post again:

If you suspect a clog in the exhaust system, a quick and simple vacuum reading can verify if that is the case. Here is a very good link on vacuum readings. Vacuum gauges are easy to connect, and relatively inexpensive, around $8-15. The vac gauge is one of the easiest to use, and most overlooked tools in the box.

In short, the vacuum reading will decrease as the engine runs, but read up on the exact procedures. Also note that subtle movements of the gauge can pinpoint other problems. It's a long read, but I could do the test in 5-10 minutes depending on the vehicle.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/tuning-with-a-vacuum-gauge-spg-148.html

And an extra link:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/exhaust_backpressure.htm
I have a vacuum gauge. Thanks Ill try it.

If the catalytic converter was clogged, wouldnt a trouble code such as an O2 sensor show up on the scanner?

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Blacksheep said:
"Many unnecessary parts have been purchased by folks taking a trouble code at it's word."

Yep, those guys behind the counter at your local parts store love their code-readers and have no problem selling parts based simply on a code and usually have no real experience or training to assist when that [insert part here] they just sold does not fix the problem. (There are the rare few who DO know and will help, if you find such a person, stick with him/her)

Just like anything else, the best do-it-yourselfers are those who take the time to research the issue and are better able to make an informed decision on what it will take to fix it and know their limitations and act accordingly. Wish I had a nickle for every fuel filter that was sold because of a drivability issue. :wink:
The guys behind the counter generally are not mechanics and know less than I do but occasionally you get a good one, true.

Im very thrifty with my car repairs and Im not purchasing any unnecessary parts besides the $10 fuel filter that should be changed periodically anyway. The $48 plug wires I returned because I didnt need them. Im going to order the fuel sending unit. I need it anyway and it may just be the whole problem. Its about $40.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Attachments

• MVC-034E.JPG
    MVC-034E.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 2,882

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other

we have a rodeo too. I really love it, but we have had so many problems w/ it. the catalitic converters get crudded up pretty easily. have had to replace them twice now. (pain in the pattuty) & if you look on line you will see there have been a lot of problems with the engine. mine is burning oil quickly, so it's time to rethink more work on it or just getting a new car. I don't want to get rid of it cuz it is such a perfect car for me. but how much do you spend trying to fix it, & still not getting good results.
I am going thru all the info y'all have posted & the links you have given. maybe there is some hope for it yet.
I hope you can fix yours. good luck.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

mamabear said:
we have a rodeo too. I really love it, but we have had so many problems w/ it. the catalitic converters get crudded up pretty easily. have had to replace them twice now. (pain in the pattuty) & if you look on line you will see there have been a lot of problems with the engine. mine is burning oil quickly, so it's time to rethink more work on it or just getting a new car. I don't want to get rid of it cuz it is such a perfect car for me. but how much do you spend trying to fix it, & still not getting good results.
I am going thru all the info y'all have posted & the links you have given. maybe there is some hope for it yet.
I hope you can fix yours. good luck.
I heard the 6 cylinder engines have had lubrication problems. Do you have a 6 cyl? I have the 4 cyl. and it doesnt burn oil but I have had some problems. My plastic tank radiator blew up so I purchased an all brass one. My electric fan's brushes wore out. Its a smooth ride but now I have this problem. Does your gas gauge work?

Ive been trying to syphon out the gas all day. I cant get the hose down far enough. I had to resort to tuning the key on and off to pump out the gas. I removed 7 gallons. Its been a slow process.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who tried but I Still Need Help. :help: :help:

My truck is still not running right. :'( Its basically the same. I have no power and can only go up to 50MPH downhill. A small uphill slope is a serious problem.

I didnt want to drop the gas tank full and I couldnt siphon it out so I drove it out slowly around town. When it was finally empty, I replaced my fuel sending unit.

Apparently everything goes through the computer. I am a decent shade tree mechanic but not up on computers. My fuel gauge now works great and my cooling fan runs properly and the P1627 code is gone. (thank god)

The P0342 (CMP low input) code remains and now I have 2 new codes P1133 and P0134. (both HO2S oxygen Bank 1 Sensor 1).

My next step is to replace the oxygen sensor I guess but I am still getting 12 volts to one side of the camshaft sensor. I supposed to get 4-6 volts. Any ideas? I need someone familiar with these codes. Can anybody help?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Big Cy with out reading everything.Have you tied a fuel additive?Sea foam comes to mind....

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

BaconSweaterVestCracklinHatElf said:
Big Cy with out reading everything.Have you tied a fuel additive?Sea foam comes to mind....
The first thing I did was add fuel injection cleaner. Since then I have driven the truck until it ran COMPLETELY out of gas and I now have fresh gas in the tank. There is no difference..

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I have the 1998 Rodeo Electrical Troubleshooting Manual from the dealer. Studying the circuit schematics :read2: tells me that 12volt would be normal for one side of the CMP (4-6 volt for the other side)because the sensor supply voltage goes directly to the fuse box. Tommorrow Im going to the junkyard to find a CMP. If I cant find one, Im buying a new one at $128. I was told that a bad CMP sensor would really mess up the timing and cause these symptoms. I hope it works.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

karenray08 said:
Don't know much about these newer cars but in the old days I think the timing would be checked after what you have named
is ok. It could be off slightly.

Ray
The CMP sends signals to set the timing. I hope replacing it works.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

The CMP sensor runs between $128-$200, but I found it new on eBay for $41 at a Chinese wholesale warehouse. They were local and I saved time by picking it up in person. http://tinyurl.com/yza5fus

I found the exact AC Delco ASF-105 Oxygen sensor at the junkyard for $7. I also found an A/C switch I needed and some dash lite bulbs.

I replaced the CMP and front O2 sensor and the vehicle seems to be OK now finally. I retested and my scan tool says NO CODES. :hello2:

Total with tax:
CMP sensor----------------------------$43.99
Oxygen sensor------------------------ $7.52
A/C switch & dash lite bulbs----------no charge
Gas gauge sending unit---------------$37.25

Total cost of parts---------------------$88.26

I know it took me a while to repair but thats what you gotta do when your unemployed and getting old. :D

Dropping the gas tank is a $500 job. Diagnosing and replacing the sensors would have been at least $300 just for the parts. I did the entire job for $88. I had to purchase the "PocketScan Plus" tool but it was on sale for $58 and I get to keep it. I saved about a thousand dollars.

My engine runs, no codes, my A/C works, all my dash lites are working, my cooling fan cycles properly, my fuel gauge now works and the engine light is off. Thanks for all who helped with suggestions. :icon_thumright:

Heres a pic of the parts replaced. The gas sending unit (left), A/C switch (top), CMP sensor (center), O2 sensor and PocketScan Plus tool (right).

Attachments

• MVC-039F.JPG
    MVC-039F.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,100

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have found alot of things to be as simple as a vaccum problem. The Advance Auto parts stores around here loan out tools such as that scanner, most will scan for you here.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

poorhunter78 said:
I have found alot of things to be as simple as a vaccum problem. The Advance Auto parts stores around here loan out tools such as that scanner, most will scan for you here.
My problem was not vacuum related but thanks anyway. I bought the scanner for $58 and it was well worth it. I prefer having my own tools where I can work at home. Harbor Freight had one on sale for $110 that tests everything. Its well worth the money. Like I said, I saved a thousand dollars in labor.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Isuzu Mechanic Needed- update SOLVED

no doubt, Labor rates can kill.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Re: Isuzu Mechanic Needed- problem still not solved

UPDATE: I thought I had repaired my truck because the codes were gone. I only test drove it to the store and it seemed to be better but it was not right. I cannot go over 65 mph (which is better than the previous 50mph) and it takes a long time to get up to speed. I have people beeping their horn behind me..

The engine light came back on and trouble code PO141 came on which is O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2) which I believe is the back sensor. What is going on? ??? :help:

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I may also add that I took the advice of some others and had a new catylytic convertor installed today.
Its no different. Still runs with no power. I want to also add that it runs very poorly until it warms up.

I did a compression check and its good.
#1- 155
#2- 164
#3- 169
#4- 165

Normally I can fix anything but this is my first experience with trouble codes. What is going on?
Im about at wits end. :'( :icon_scratch: :help:

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Water in the tank/plugged filter. You have to remove the tank to drain it, or punch a hole in the lowest level. Plug punched hole with a rubber washered sheet metal screw. Running out of gas does not drain the tank. After you put more gas in, guess what? Your right back where you started. Maybe a filter that you have overlooked? A pinched line? My old C-J gave me fits. Finally replaced a rubber fuel line. It wasn't leaking fuel, but sucking air.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread