spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE ) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet(MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) filled it with GAS from Saudi Arabia and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his Computer (Made In Malaysia), Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE.... France!!) and turned on his TV(MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.. AMERICA..

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it spartacus53. Hard to disagree with.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I thought this was a spam post from someone looking for a free ride to the states. I'm glad I clicked it! :icon_thumright:

simplemaninpr

Nov 27, 2009
The Mountains of Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150

Attachments

• MadeInAmerica.png
    MadeInAmerica.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 293
  • MadeInAmerica.png
    MadeInAmerica.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 289
  • MadeInAmerica.png
    MadeInAmerica.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 276

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Great post and great link! It seems that is the first thing we need to do, is shop at home. I would love to see a grassroots revival of this sort. I usually try to look to see where a product is made, and if I have a choice I buy American, but it's really depressing overall. But, thanks again for that link, it's a start.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
Great post and great link! It seems that is the first thing we need to do, is shop at home. I would love to see a grassroots revival of this sort. I usually try to look to see where a product is made, and if I have a choice I buy American, but it's really depressing overall. But, thanks again for that link, it's a start.

Not to be a killjoy as your concept is a good one, but still even most of the components are being made overseas and completed here. In most day to day products we use i.e televisions, phones, radios all come from abroad. This is not to say the U.S. does not make any of the aforementioned products, but if we do, it is a very small percentage. Reason is our costs are too high and profits are reduced, it's just a vicious cycle.

Even many common jobs without manufacturing have washed to other shores to reduce costs. We already know that most billing, and much customer service work has moved to India. I have been in the international transportation field for over 30 years and I have seen many of our jobs vanish, such as preparing all documentation, billing and rating.

At one time the U.S. was one of the worlds largest exporters, but when you look at the product shipped now, it is totally different from that of 20-30 years ago. I would guess in tonnage alone our largest export is garbage! What I mean by that is we weekly ship 100's of tons of waste paper, plastic and metal scrap. This scrap goes overseas to become the cars we drive, furniture we buy, and the phones and computers we use everyday.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Yes my concept is a good one. I believe in the ingenuity of people. as I've said before, I have no other place to go. This is my home, I want to make it work. If we're gonna turn it around, it will start at the grass roots level. spooky I'm sorry for your past, but I will not buy into your negetivity. We may as well all give up if we had your attitude. Maybe it's just the nature of this forum that attracts so many naysayers, but it's pretty tiresome. So lets break the viscious cycle, it may take time, but I still think working together could make it happen. And Buying American made products is the place to start.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe Spooky said anything 'negative'. In fact I found his post quite accurate.

B

BigDan

Spooky is right on one hand...

...but I respectfully interject that he missed the other side of the coin. Yes, wages and benefits had soared in the seventies. But, do we want jobs for $3.00, or $4.00 per hour? Because that, and lower, is the labor competition we face in other countries.

And, honestly, who doesn't think a large corporation wouldn't sell Nebraska to a foreign country if it made a profit?

Reasonable wages, certainly. Reasonable international trade policies (goodbye NAFTA), important as well.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
It all sound right to me!

I've been without a job for the past year and NOTHING to be had.

We have given most of our jobs away in NAFTA and Preferred Trade with China.

People thought all the cheap products was cool and the jobs followed there purchases.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Minimum Wage is part of the problem.

You gain nothing by raising the wage as all products produced at that wage raise in cost and you have a wash.

Only the tax man makes any more money.

They call it inflation!

I was better off making $1.42 a hour then you are now.

Bread was .15,,,,,,,,Gas was .25........A good pair of jeans was only $3.50!!!

Hello!

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GopherDaGold said:
I don't believe Spooky said anything 'negative'. In fact I found his post quite accurate.

Thanks, I'm glad you didn't pass my post by. I try and add a bit a bit of humor to everything I write, that is just me, but at the same time make a point.

After reading Spooky's comment on Social Security, reminds me of of something. When Bernie Madoff was convicted of his ponzi scheme, he was asked where he got the idea of taking the money from, his reply was Social Security :tongue3:

A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to separate investors from their own money or money paid by subsequent investors.

That will give you something to think about ;D

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The answer is almost to go at this sideways. We need some Harvard School Business Grad to team up with and engineer and come up with a new model for manufacturing. With the computer and robotics capability we have in this country, the idea of labor costs should almost be a moot point in the equation anymore. With a well developed programming basis that has routines built around type of steps executed for a variety of products and the individual differences filled in by scanning prototypes, CNC machining short runs of product becomes child'd play. Yes, it would take some radically different approaches to things, but manufacturing shouldn't just be about labor costs anymore. Our manufacturing processes need to evolve.

Labor should be down to a handful of individuals to run routines and monitor the process (from robotic off loading of raw materials, following the material as it goes through the factory and monitoring all the performance parameters to ordering maintenance on the system) and techs to service the machines. The profits from these new manufacturing plants would then be used to re-employ people put out of work under the old system. Retrained to run green process, energy producing facilities, such as wave generated power, solar and wind farms, trash to steam facilities that drive turbines and produce energy. We would in turn sell some of the power to our neighbors (Canada, Mexico, etc.) and the rest of the world, thereby freeing us from the need for foreign oil as electricity would become plentiful. Yankee ingenuity can bring us back, but it requires guts, risk, and a new way of looking at things. If we don't wrestle back control of our destiny as a country, we will become servants to the rest of the world.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Spooky is right on one hand...

BigDan said:
And, honestly, who doesn't think a large corporation wouldn't sell Nebraska to a foreign country if it made a profit?

Not a bad idea either Bigdan, I didn't even know that Nebraska was a state.

On the other hand it has already been done to a degree. I remember that in the 80's the Japanese bought up huge tracts of land in LA to produce Kobe beef. At the time I was working for a small Japanese company and my boss had mentioned it to me. My reply was, thanks for the money, but if we decide to throw you out, how will you get that land back to Japan. So I say yes, let's sell 1/2 the states and just keep the money. :tongue3:

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
You are right Spooky. I try to buy non-union whenever I have the chance. My next vehicle will NOT be a GM, probably not a Ford, but more likely a Toyota that is made here in the states. Unions have ruined a lot of big companies in this country, and maybe even the schools :o... Speaking of which, how did we ever allow government employees to form unions :icon_scratch:... Eeeeesh..

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I like how you think Bamabill, that's what I'm talking about!

Spooky, sorry if I was too personal. I'm wishy-washy when it comes to confrontation. I just don't like it, and I don't think an on-line discussion really warrants it. we're just exchanging ideas from our own perspective.

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
Before we start bashing unions, lets look at some of the good that they did.
1. 40 hour work week
2. Child labor laws
3. Overtime
4. Minimum wage
5. Minority hiring (including females)
6. Being paid in cash, instead of company script
7. Health benefits
8. Retirement (without Social Security)

This countries industrial revolution was based on 8 year old children working 16 hour days in textile factories. Did the unions grow fat and lazy? Maybe, but lets not forget the positives.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPURS said:
My next vehicle will NOT be a GM, probably not a Ford, but more likely a Toyota that is made here in the states.

Toyota??? Aren't they experiencing a little problem with recalls right now? Get a Benz, they are made here too and best of all they actually stop when the brakes are applied

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
HaHa! Yep they are having a little problem right now, but overall I think they are probably the most reliable auto manufacturer in the world. Benz? not my style. They don't make a pickup truck and their cars are just, well, not what I would buy. If I were looking for a luxury ride, I'd probably get a Lexus.. :thumbsup:..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread