Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tips to handle telemarketers & junk mail

I am here to help!!!! :tongue3:

Three Little Words That Work !!

(1)The three little words are: "Hold On, Please..."

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.

Then when you eventually hear the phone company's "beep-beep-beep" tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.

These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting.

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end?

This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone.

This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a "real" sales person to call back and get someone at home

What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their system any longer !!!

(3) Junk Mail Help:

When you get "ads" enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these "ads" with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away.

When you get those "pre-approved" letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope.

Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right?

It costs them more than the regular 37 cents postage "IF" and when they receive them back.

It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents before the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes.

If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you send them.

You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing! It still costs them 37 cents.

The banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of their own junk back in the mail, but folks, we need to OVERWHELM them. Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all they're paying for it...Twice!

Let's help keep our postal service busy since! they are saying that e-mail is cutting into their business profits, and that's why they need to increase ! postage costs again. You get the idea !

If enough people follow these tips, it will work----

I have been doing this for years, and I get very little junk mail anymore.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tips to handle telemarketers & junk mail

Spartacus53 you are an insanely evil person!!

That's why we get along so well!! :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

Good post!

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Trust me, that is not 1/2 as bad as other things I have done :laughing9:

I think I may start posting my practical jokes I have done over the years. They are really warped. But I am glad you gentlemen like them

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool

I would pay money to hear bout the practical jokes you've pulled! I've pulled a few good ones over the years & have been the target of a few really good ones too! Please post em Spartacus!!! :headbang:

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005

Same here with the junk mail. I do it occassionally when I have time. Throw it all in a box. When the box gets full then put the envelopes in one pile and everything else in another. Mix it up, add some items like catalogs, cardboard, detecting junk, have fun with it. Make it heavy as possible and don't send those envelopes out with even a smidgen of empty space. Add some newspaper if needed. You are doing a service here in helping to keep the post office in business.

How many have received those "Mail in your gold and we'll send you a check" letters? I have and I send them back. Of course they are loaded with detecting junk! Lead, heavy rusted washers and bolts and those unidentifiable chunks of rust and pieces of do-dads. I don't use my own address. I can only imagine what they are thinking when they get it in their hands thinking they have a pound or two of gold.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I take my sharpie write return to sender and put them back in the box, But I like your thinkin much better. Its time to go stuff envelopes. :laughing7: :headbang:

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005

I believe that most of the junk mail is sent bulk rate. I don't think they "return it to sender". I think the post office just trashes them.

If you heard the news then you know that the post office is in financial trouble. (big surprise!) Well as I said before. Help them out. If every one did this just once or twice a year then those junk mailers would keep them going strong!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

my favorite for telemarketer is this

"If you don't say another word, I'll take whatever you are selling" they usually respond with "OK" My response "I'm sorry no deal you spoke goodbye and take my name off your list"

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

if you stuff the return envelope and make it extra thick, it won't go through the automated system, which
then kicks it out and it has to be sorted by hand, which costs more and they charge accordingly

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was on the phone with my momma, Told her to start saving the return envelopes and cram em full of junk. She said thanks son I'll start doin that. I learned it here so thanks from my momma. ;D

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I also send my junk mail back to them. I use their retune envelopes but I always tear their letter up and then stuff it back in then milit to them.

The one best thing that I did was when a telemarker called me and told me that they did a survey and found out tha my basement leaked. f I would give them the time I would get a $50 gift card. So I made a appointment he for them to come out. We sat down and he went thru his sale pitch and the told me let go to the basement and we can look what can be done to sto the leaking. I told him before we go I would like my gift card he gave it to me. Then he asked me where was the door leadng to the basement, I told himI didn't know where it was. I been here for 6 years and I havn't found a basemen yet. He asked me then why did I set up a appointment.

I told him you guys called me and told me that you took a survey and that my basemaent leaked so I figure you knew what you was talking about. I got $50 for 1 hour talk. I take it anytime....Matt

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
What if your phone is using minutes? :dontknow: :D

There is a number to call to avoid that problem. Once a number is registered, you should no longer get the call.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mlayers said:
I also send my junk mail back to them. I use their retune envelopes but I always tear their letter up and then stuff it back in then milit to them.

The one best thing that I did was when a telemarker called me and told me that they did a survey and found out tha my basement leaked. f I would give them the time I would get a $50 gift card. So I made a appointment he for them to come out. We sat down and he went thru his sale pitch and the told me let go to the basement and we can look what can be done to sto the leaking. I told him before we go I would like my gift card he gave it to me. Then he asked me where was the door leadng to the basement, I told himI didn't know where it was. I been here for 6 years and I havn't found a basemen yet. He asked me then why did I set up a appointment.

I told him you guys called me and told me that you took a survey and that my basemaent leaked so I figure you knew what you was talking about. I got $50 for 1 hour talk. I take it anytime....Matt

You sound much like my evil twin, I love your style :icon_thumleft:

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer

I mix and match ads from different junk mail and send it back. It works. I get one or two pieces of junk mail a month now compared to several pieces a day that I use to get.

People calling for donations get to talk for a while then I tell them my house is being foreclosed on and they call back one more time and get the same story and cross me off their list. Now they don't even get my name and number out to others any more. I get no more calls.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
Returning junk mail in the pre-paid return envelopes in genius.

You are a dangerous person to evil men!

Thank you. I am down to two companies that still like to send me mail, so I guess now I will overfill the envelopes and put my name on it. ;D Maybe then they will get my message. :laughing9: I can write a book on things to do that will rattle anyone's cage, I just have to get a publisher now :icon_thumleft:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use my paper shredder for all my junk mail,I shred those credit card offers an then use their pre-paid envelopes and put in all that shredded paper and send it back to them.It also helped to file for Chapter 7,I know longer get any credit card offers,I wonder why????

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

Going to the trouble of posting "Return to Sender" is a waste of tax payers money as RTS mail still has
to be processed to a point, but once detected by the system it is simply recycled. In the past it was incinerated.
More to the point, waste paper fetches about US$ 80/ton (less than mail processing cost), so I would add
all unwanted mail to the flood of junk mail and local newspapers that come in the letterbox for future sale.

Kitty litter and egg carton makers need plenty of scrap paper.

Also what are your feelings about certain mail items such as known felons, missing children and paedophiles
in your area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread