Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike in Berks said:
spartacus53 sorry guess i did i'll have to re - read it

No worries, I am in your corner on this. I guess they want to limit the hours one can work his own land. Who are they kidding? I can see a trailer driver with the logbook, and we both know that many drivers carry 2 sets of books as the owners sometimes push to do illegal things. I can see the time on/time off for trailer drivers as in NJ last year we had a flatbed of 50,000lbs of tile slam into someone because he fell asleep. If I am not mistaken several were killed in that horrific accident. Back to farmers though. I am sure that a farmer knows when it's time to call it a day, and who will he run into if he didn't on his own property?

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Family farms are having a hard enough time surviving and now they want to do this. This is absolute insanity. These morons have no concept of reality and absolutely no concept of farming. This could put many out of business. Now only dad and mom could work the fields or bring in hay or spread the you know what. And log books to boot.

When they have driven out of business all the people who provide our food and milk what then? Maybe we can import our food from China!

I see a revolution coming. And it will not be pretty. Just let them try to side with the UN, throw out our constition and take our firearms. Mark my words, that WILL cause a violent uprising.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
If the Feds get by with this in PA they will mandate it in every state . It is a nightmare to contemplate , both logisticly and the $ cost .
DOT regs keep the trucking industry in constant turmoil and would devastate agriculture if applied acrsss the board . I am disabled and can no longer pass a DOT physical/drive over the road . I'm retired to the family farm . Under these regs I couldn't farm either or teach my grandkids how to .
As kids around here we started operating tractors at 8 or 9 years of age and were the mainstay of
the family farm operations as our parents worked off farm day jobs . It is still this way .
You PA folks need help protesting this ; let me know and I'll head north .
;D NEVER CUSS A FARMER WITH YOUR MOUTH FULL ! ;D

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also noticed they are picking on Pa, saying that they are the only ones who don't comply with the federal law.

That's BS of the highest degrees.

In South Dakota and Wyoming - the kids ALL work at the ranches - driver's licenses are issued at 14 years old, and there is just no way in hell
that doing hay and corn can be done on 8 hour "rest times". They want rest for the TRACTORS? This will force some farmers into buying an extra tractor or two while the others "rest".

As far as I can tell - this is also an "unfunded mandate", because farmers would have to hire someone during the "tractor rest periods", or end up getting in inferior hay or corn or other feeds - who gets to pay for that? The Feds? No? Then it is an unfunded mandate.

What is a joke - is that to enforce this, authorities will have to trespass on personal property - hmmmmm.

B

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
jeff of pa said:
If I not Mistaken
They are already Witholding
Some road Monies From PA
because So far they have refused
to Make Seatbelt Use Mandatory.

It's still a Secondary Fine Here,
You need to be charged with a Moving Violation
to get a seatbelt Fine.
at least adults do.
Jeff, I'm not sure about that law ? I don't want to find out either
I always wear mine because of the air bag
simonds said:
I would sure rather work around a 15 year old farmer's child driving my tractor , than any politician.
for sure simonds
Where i grew up there was nothing but fields and farms for miles. Many of my classmates
lived on farms. Back then they were put down for being farmers. Now years later those
same kids are well off because they had an early understanding about life. Like the article
starts .... In many farm families, learning to drive a tractor at an early age is a rite of
passage, part of growing up on a farm. I witnessed that when i was young.
Many Berks farmers rely on their children to help with the day to day operations on the
farm. And after all these years i have a "deep respect" for farmers now. They were the
backbone of our community. This law really hit a nerve with me :(
spartacus53 said:
Mike in Berks said:
spartacus53 sorry guess i did i'll have to re - read it

No worries, I am in your corner on this. I guess they want to limit the hours one can work his own land. Who are they kidding? I can see a trailer driver with the logbook, and we both know that many drivers carry 2 sets of books as the owners sometimes push to do illegal things. I can see the time on/time off for trailer drivers as in NJ last year we had a flatbed of 50,000lbs of tile slam into someone because he fell asleep. If I am not mistaken several were killed in that horrific accident. Back to farmers though. I am sure that a farmer knows when it's time to call it a day, and who will he run into if he didn't on his own property?
spartacus53 right who are they kidding :icon_scratch:
I've been there, pushed with the illegal things. I've witnessed to many accidents caused by
drivers falling asleep. Happened to me a few times but i woke up - scary for sure
And just like you i'm sure a farmer knows when it's time to call it a day. Especially with
his children.
What i did miss reading the article was it takes effect Monday. Seems like the word always
gets out after the fact lately. This is my 1st post in Everything Else because i wanted it to be
seen worldwide. Pennsylvania now What state will be next ?

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Mark S. said:
Family farms are having a hard enough time surviving and now they want to do this. This is absolute insanity. These morons have no concept of reality and absolutely no concept of farming. This could put many out of business. Now only dad and mom could work the fields or bring in hay or spread the you know what. And log books to boot.

When they have driven out of business all the people who provide our food and milk what then? Maybe we can import our food from China!

I see a revolution coming. And it will not be pretty. Just let them try to side with the UN, throw out our constition and take our firearms. Mark my words, that WILL cause a violent uprising.
Mark S. i agree with everything your saying :( except the revolution part.
Better to write a letter to your Senator, Congressman, etc., etc.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
jeff of pa said:
If I not Mistaken
Some road Monies From PA

to get a seatbelt Fine.
at least adults do.
Has anyone figured out the logic behind certain states forcing driver's in closed vehicles to wear seatbelts, but not forcing a motorcycle rider to wear a helmet?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no idea

Since PA Started the seatbelt Law they dropped the Helmet law

Go figure.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
truckinbutch said:
If the Feds get by with this in PA they will mandate it in every state . It is a nightmare to contemplate , both logisticly and the $ cost .
DOT regs keep the trucking industry in constant turmoil and would devastate agriculture if applied acrsss the board . I am disabled and can no longer pass a DOT physical/drive over the road . I'm retired to the family farm . Under these regs I couldn't farm either or teach my grandkids how to .
As kids around here we started operating tractors at 8 or 9 years of age and were the mainstay of
the family farm operations as our parents worked off farm day jobs . It is still this way .
truckinbutch said:
truckinbutch nightmare indeed :(
I knew you were a trucker. Sorry to hear your disabled now and no longer able to drive !!
My father drove 30 years and me 10(it's in my blood). The highway was my way !!
I hope for you and your family sake this law gets reversed ASAP
mrs.oroblanco said:
I also noticed they are picking on Pa, saying that they are the only ones who don't comply with the federal law.

That's BS of the highest degrees.

In South Dakota and Wyoming - the kids ALL work at the ranches - driver's licenses are issued at 14 years old, and there is just no way in hell
that doing hay and corn can be done on 8 hour "rest times". They want rest for the TRACTORS? This will force some farmers into buying an extra tractor or two while the others "rest".

As far as I can tell - this is also an "unfunded mandate", because farmers would have to hire someone during the "tractor rest periods", or end up getting in inferior hay or corn or other feeds - who gets to pay for that? The Feds? No? Then it is an unfunded mandate.

What is a joke - is that to enforce this, authorities will have to trespass on personal property - hmmmmm.

B
B Joke - BS i totally agree
:(
af1733 said:
jeff of pa said:
If I not Mistaken
Some road Monies From PA
to get a seatbelt Fine.
at least adults do.

Has anyone figured out the logic behind certain states forcing driver's in closed vehicles to wear seatbelts, but not forcing a motorcycle rider to wear a helmet?
af1733, i loved my Harley I was an AMA member And i went to Harrisburg to
protest the helmet law If i was riding today i "would'nt" be wearing a helmet.
My Choice :icon_thumleft: Those day are gone though. This is about farmers though :(

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I Also have a friend who is in a Wheelchair for
Life because of a Motorcycle accident.

I Still believe in freedom of Choice on
Helmets & Everything else people
Do that don't cause physical
or financial harm to other
living breathing human beings also.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
jeff of pa said:
Yea I Also have a friend who is in a Wheelchair for
Life because of a Motorcycle accident.

I Still believe in freedom of Choice on
Helmets & Everything else people
Do that don't cause harm to others also.
Jeff, i've seen friends get hit by cars while riding. I've been hit by a car while riding.
5 broken bones. And yes friends who were killed while riding. I still feel it should be the
"riders choice" over 18 of course. This post is about the farmers though :(

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea let's stay on subject :D

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Mike ,
I drove over 40 , mostly owner operator , with no chargeables , preventables , or moving violations .
When some gov't hack comes on my farm and tells me that I can no longer derive part of my living from it I am going to insure that his bosses are going to provide for me for the rest of my days on earth ..........................................................................................
...... and the folks with less seniority than he has are going to move up one notch on the pro-
motion list .

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
truckinbutch said:
Mike ,
I drove over 40 , mostly owner operator , with no chargeables , preventables , or moving violations .
When some gov't hack comes on my farm and tells me that I can no longer derive part of my living from it I am going to insure that his bosses are going to provide for me for the rest of my days on earth ..........................................................................................
...... and the folks with less seniority than he has are going to move up one notch on the pro-
motion list .
Congrats on the 40 year safe driving :icon_thumleft: I was OTR for 6 months an
realized it's a "tough job" that wasn't for me.
As far as the gov't hack i don't doubt you a bit truckinbutch keep on keepin on :)

Burnt Chimney

Nov 14, 2008
Hornet Nest North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT F-75 AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember back in I think about 1977 when thousands of Farmers drove their Tractors to Washington to protest ,don't know the details of the protest but they past through My neck of the woods and it was an Awesome Sight all those farmers with the American Flags flying. We sit by the side of the hwy and watched for hours.
No Farms No Food!
BC

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Burnt Chimney said:
I remember back in I think about 1977 when thousands of Farmers drove their Tractors to Washington to protest ,don't know the details of the protest but they past through My neck of the woods and it was an Awesome Sight all those farmers with the American Flags flying. We sit by the side of the hwy and watched for hours.
No Farms No Food!
BC
BC I only started reading the newspaper in 79. Must've been a sight to see. In fact that
did cross my mind today. If all the Pa. farmers could organize and pick a day to meet at
the capitol in Harrisburg. I mean bring it all to a "stand still" it might make an impact. I'd
sure be standing by the road waving a flag in support. I'm glad you mentioned it. Thanks

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Mike in Berks said:
Mark S. said:

Mark S. i agree with everything your saying :( except the revolution part.
Better to write a letter to your Senator, Congressman, etc., etc.

Mike I use to feel that way to. Just let your congressman know how you feel. That is how it should work but they are totally ignoring the will of the most of the people. Writing them, least on a federal level is virtually a waste of time. This administration is the poster child of that circus act. They have outright said thay don't give a damn what the people say and will do what they want. And what they want is the destruction of the constution. My senators staff argues with you when you call them and they tell you that you don't know what you are talking about. When you email them disagreeing with them they send you one back thanking you for AGREEING with them.
We are past the point of writing letters. Writing letters to the king did no good two centuries ago. We are at that same point now. If you read accounts of how various dictators came to power you will see a lot of parallels to what is happening now. From the takeover of industry and the media to prohibiting free speech and firearms. Want a big wake up then read a book "inside the third reich". Written by one of hitlers people while in prison. It will send chills up your spine as to how he came to power as seen by someone on the inside.
I wish I didn't feel this way but as a veteran, I will not sit idle and watch these america haters spit on every military member past and present who fought, and many died, for the very freedoms they are working to destroy.

Ok I wil get off my soapbox now.

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
i think when reagan helped empty the psychiatric hospitals ,unfortunately most former patients ended up in congress .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread