I was really shocked at this mornings paper. Talk about government
intrusion on farmers in Pennsylvania.
The Federal Government has threatened to withhold $8.7 million in highway
funds if the state doesn't comply
Same rules as a commercial driver :icon_scratch:
Physical exams :icon_scratch:
Keeping Log Books :icon_scratch:
Pre -Trip Post -Trip inspections :icon_scratch:

One farmer says " WE don't work on a time clock. We work on the weather mans clock.

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=199872

What is next ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I agree.

Although I Have nothing against Them,
I Bet the amish will be Exempt.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It boils down to three simple words, "too much government".

Now what I really got a kick out of the article is the following paragraph.

But federal regulations set to go into effect Monday would make it illegal in Pennsylvania for children under 18 to operate heavy farm equipment, including tractors and flatbed trucks. Operators also would have to pass physical exams.

Now if I am not mistaken, isn't that last sentence an oxymoron? I do not remember any physical exams for drivers of autos, so I guess we will get back all of those handicap spots ;D

"Only in America", do our politicians make laws for the sense of keeping busy.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
jeff of pa said:
Yea I agree.

Although I Have nothing against Them,
I Bet the amish will be Exempt.

Not to pick nits but maybe you mean the Mennonites or Old Order German Baptists. Amish use horses and do not drive anything with a motor - no car, truck or tractor. Old Order German Baptists - use the plain speech and clothes but can drive and use machinery; Mennonites use the old style clothes and some of the plain speech and dress the men like Amish from the waist up but usually wear jeans for work. In all three the women dress the same on the surface - maybe different in underwear. Don't have personal knowledge of that. We have all three where i live and the community hitching post is a block away and visible from my living room window. Nice people good workers. they usually call all non-believers "English". regards, siegfried schlagrule

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Also live around the amish,
But Yes some do use Machinery at least round Here
most don't though some do

In fact The last 2 tractor accidents I remember
around here were Amish Children
at least by the News Reports (Last one a Stoltzfus
Child I Believe)
which Makes this even Harder to Swallow

Because the Law is probably Because
of these Deaths but will
Not effect them

After thinking about it it is I suppose
Mennonites Working for the amish.

The Amish around here Have been
Known to Hire Drivers

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my 15-yr-old granddaughter last year. She'll be even better this year! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• jackie20.jpg
    jackie20.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 410

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not too worried about the Feds showing up; we have security at the main gate. He won't bite but he will keep you in your vehicle 'til he's told you're ok.

Attachments

• momo1.jpg
    momo1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 408

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS,

I'm pretty sure Jeff means Amish - in Pennsylvania, there are both Amish and Mennonites. The Mennoites DO drive. The Amish may be driven (in a vehicle) by someone else, but cannot drive themselves.

They do use machinery on their farms - but not hooked to electricity. They drive out and pick up their corn, hay, etc., with their horses, and there is usually a machine near the barns, gas powered, to process it into whatever they need (different attachments). Some don't even do that. Some stack their corn in the field, and stack their hay in big haymounds, and get it - with their horses, as needed.

They (the Amish) are definitely Amish (Pennsylvania Deutch), and travel with their horses, and their horses and buggies, down the highways, every single day, and, like I said, do not have a power line in site. They still do barn raisings and the whole thing. We have several Amish friends that we use to deal with horses with. Their homes are mostly barren except for the necessities, and homemade doilies and such, and they definitely don't wear jeans.

Beth

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This legislation seems too ridiculous to stand and not be overturned. What are they thinking? Then laws like that, if left unchecked, spread across the country like the plague. They just don't understand grassroots America and how the REAL world works. Food comes from the supermarket, it just magically appears in the bins.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I think the legislative branches of ALL governments - local, state, country - have run out of things to pass laws on, so they have to make up stuff now.

I wish they would take a few years to UN-legislate some of the crap they have instituted.

B

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
I wish they would take a few years to UN-legislate some of the crap they have instituted.

B

I think we would all agree with that and I regret not coming up with that before you did. I can tell you is harder trying to keep up with all the new and stupid laws passed every year. In NJ, they will soon pass a law, making it illegal to smoke on the public beaches.

I wonder what ever happened to "common sense", in this country?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wonder when it will be illegal to operate
motor bikes, atv's and get a drivers license
under 18

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to be that diesel engines, especially those that powered generators on private property, were exempt from smog inspections. In Kalifornia now, if you have a diesel powered generator of a specific size or larger, it will now have to pass smog. Lots of farmers here in the Central Valley area use large, diesel generators to power their irrigation pumps. The price of produce goes even higher. Even more reason to have a big garden!
Another Kalifornia law is you can't smoke at the Winston Cup series stock car races. ;D

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Diggemall said:
The biggest oxymoron there ever was:

"Hi. I'm with the government and I'm here to help you"

Diggem'
Diggemall Very true in this scenario :(
spartacus53 said:
It boils down to three simple words, "too much government".

Now what I really got a kick out of the article is the following paragraph.

But federal regulations set to go into effect Monday would make it illegal in Pennsylvania for children under 18 to operate heavy farm equipment, including tractors and flatbed trucks. Operators also would have to pass physical exams.

Now if I am not mistaken, isn't that last sentence an oxymoron? I do not remember any physical exams for drivers of autos, so I guess we will get back all of those handicap spots ;D

"Only in America", do our politicians make laws for the sense of keeping busy.
spartacus53 They're comparing heavy farm equipment with commercial vehicles.
Thats like comparing an apple with a pizza :icon_scratch:
I drove a tractor trailor for 10 yrs. An every few years i'd have to get a physical - eyes,
ears, bend and touch my toes, and a urine test. A CDL requirement.
Like the one farmer says Who's to tell me who i can and cannot put on my tractor ?
And i add On his "Private Property" :( It's really goin to put a burden on all farm familys.
packerbacker said:
This was my 15-yr-old granddaughter last year. She'll be even better this year! :icon_thumleft:
packerbacker That smile on your granddaughters face says it all :icon_thumleft:
At an early age she's learning to drive a tractor, how to work the land, and enjoy the
things all that hard work provides for a family :thumbsup:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike in Berks said:
spartacus53 They're comparing heavy farm equipment with commercial vehicles.
Thats like comparing an apple with a pizza :icon_scratch:
I drove a tractor trailor for 10 yrs. An every few years i'd have to get a physical - eyes,
ears, bend and touch my toes, and a urine test. A CDL requirement.
Like the one farmer says Who's to tell me who i can and cannot put on my tractor ?
And i add On his "Private Property" :(

I think you missed my point. Being in the transportation myself, I certainly the requirements for a CDL, even though I am not a driver. I was speaking in generalities. I did agree that it's wrong to legislate farm equipment in that manner. I was also pointing out the other ridiculous comparison between tractors and autos. After all, whether it's a trailer, bus, motorcycle, auto, etc., it is still a motor vehicle. If you were to read the article, being handicapped would preclude you from operating a tractor and perhaps making a living. If I am not mistaken, this does go against your civil liberties.

OP
OP
Mike in Berks

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
A thought ?

The Federal Government has threatened to withhold $8.7 million in highway
funding if the state does not comply.
The state complys they get the money $$.

What will it cost to enforce(state and local police) or make sure everyone complys with
the law .... log books, physical exams, age, massive paperwork etc., etc.,etc.,
a guess $8.7 million or more.

And where will that money come from ? I got a feeling it'll be the taxpayers ? :(

spartacus53 sorry guess i did i'll have to re - read it

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I not Mistaken
They are already Witholding
Some road Monies From PA