spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again this happened in the downtown office on Broadway and is nothing spectacular to be honest.

This little story is about what became fondly known in my office as "love dust". Love dust is actually ultra fine sand like pieces of paper from a perforating machine. All of the 100's of bill of lading that were processed each day had to be perforated by 2 different machines. The first would perforate the B/L number and date, the other would perforate 3 Originals, which were the legal documents to recover your freight once it hit destination. You would have to pull out and empty the steel trays several times a day to prevent the machine from jamming.

I started getting tired of seeing that poor "love dust", being tossed out everyday, so I decided to collect it in a small lunch bag. I always knew I would find a use for it one day and sure enough I can up with 2 good ways to put "love dust", to use.

My first invention was sort of a catapult. I would look for the top of a staple box and fill it 3/4 of the way with my "love dust". then I would get what I called an industrial sized rubber-band. This size about 8" long and relatively thick was used to hold ships manifests together, but in the wrong hands like mine, they had other purposes. Our top center desk draw had to be about 18" which was perfect for that 8" rubber-band. All you did was lay the filled box in the draw, with the rubber-band running along the top of the box so you could feel the pressure of the box wanting to flip. Once this was done, you simply pushed the box down gently while slowly closing the draw. When the person would retrieve anything from their desk the box would flip up and cover them in "love dust".

Once that got old, I decided to move on to bigger and better uses of my "love dust". One rainy day it hit me like a ton of bricks. Why not pour a fair amount down a closed umbrella? It was pure genius as far as I was concerned, besides I never carried an umbrella and still don't to this day. Well when quitting time came around I would beeline to the front of the building and watch the people leave. One by one, they would walk out, start opening opening their umbrella to go home and get a "love dust" shower. Now the funny part is seeing them stand in the rain to shake the "love dust" out of their umbrellas. Meantime any little bits that caught in their hair would get matted from the rain.

"love dust" trademark pending ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread