In the last year, Ive become a hermit. And Im O.k. with it.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
In the last year, I've become a hermit. And I'm O.k. with it.

Unemployed (technically anyway) for a year this month and for that entire year, I've minimized my leaving the house. No longer does my car turn into the local tavern on the way home from work. No longer do I run to home depot to 'just look at the new tools', nor go to the mall to window shop (aka:look at the fine ladies). But instead, I've became closer to my dogs and they, closer to me. On a warm day, I can work outside on my back porch thanks to technology. On colder days, my home office windows points outside on a busy traffic corner of my neighborhood and I've been able learn everyone's habits...even the "Wow, she's getting home late. I wonder why". I've watched a little girl with her first battery powered scooter, from going to very scared to extremely agile and fearless of curbs. I've learned that there are actually two postal mail persons that serve my route. I've been fortunate enough to witness the die hard joggers and also identified the 'die hards' that were that way for one week before they gave up. The neighbor down the block doesn't like his lawn because his is dead and he walks it at least once a week, because the lawn across the street from his is much greener, but it's only because it's winter weeds that look like grass. I've had one neighbor sell his house to a nice couple and they no longer come outside to admire the curb appeal. Also, the mail box is directly in my view, so I can see EVERYONE that gets their mail from it... I can see who gets the most mail, and who gets a lot of 'Big packages' that I wonder what is in those that they get them all the time.... I can tell when couples are fighting, or at least perhaps too busy to take a walk, because only one of them are walking to dogs that day.

And these are just of the top of my head.... There are so many more things I notice in my neighborhood. The only thing I 'kind of miss', is being able to turn into my local tavern after work to talk to my favorite people and shoot the bull. (But I still have the bull of TNET).

-Mikey.

BTW, what was the name of that movie with the guy looking out the window in a wheel chair, and shot a photo of a murderer? (its and old movie).

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: In the last year, I've become a hermit. And I'm O.k. with it.

Not the movie you are thinking of but you should watch "The Burbs".

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The movie is Rear Window.

No work for 1 year and 1 month, you are a lightweight :laughing9: I am going on 16 months now. Only think is I started up my own sales company and trying to work a bit from home. I have been secluded too, lost interest in many things, but I am starting to get it all back now. It was depression, you really need to motivate yourself to do something. I have been there and still am in many ways. Good luck to you!!!

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

spartacus53 said:
The movie is Rear Window.

No work for 1 year and 1 month, you are a lightweight :laughing9: I am going on 16 months now. Only think is I started up my own sales company and trying to work a bit from home. I have been secluded too, lost interest in many things, but I am starting to get it all back now. It was depression, you really need to motivate yourself to do something. I have been there and still am in many ways. Good luck to you!!!

We'll, I'm not losing interest or depressed, it's just been constant work from freelancing (started my own business like you). One thing I am very fortunate for, is google adwords. I do get a LOT of work through that (PM me if interested in learning more - I've become a master at that).

I think that sometimes, time goes by too fast... like last year was just a few months ago. Today, it's Friday and just yesterday it was Monday.

Yes, Rear window. I need to watch that again.

BTW, perhaps if you are good at sales (I am not), we could join forces to sell my/OUR product. I predict it might be a lot of cold calling(not sure), which I am not good at, but once they get hold of my abilities, I keep them. Again, I am not good at sales. I just don't have it in me. I rely on them calling me, and once they do, they become a dedicated client because they really witness a really good 3rd party person that they can trust with really good work and they keep coming back. I just wish I had the ability to get people on board much faster like a sales person could do which I don't have. I already have people on board with me (that work for peanuts - not in USA), so the workload is not a problem. I/WE just need the sales.

Perhaps we can work together. PM me with your private email address and I've give you more info on what I'm doing... and then see if you're interested.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Jacob Ingledew said:
Enjoy what your watching, learn.
Very good image. Did you do that youself? Was it a photo shop? You do good work.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

yup me i was released from drs care in june of 08 due to a wreck near fatal in sept of 07. i am goin on 20 months and am getiing very fat and fell depressed because i am not bringing in a paycheck. have sold all saleable coins and guns. thank goodness i can tattoo i bring in a few dollars xtra. economy around here for house building sucks and the local work force is full of legal misfits from temp services and a lot of illegal workers get paid and deported on friday and back to work in 3-4 days . so i hope tattooing takes off i have been doing 2-3 benjamins every other week really need more .but hey i have a great home paid for 2 awsome kids and a very understanding wife. and she dont have to do the laundry dishes or house work .so i guess i am ok but would rather be building houses and brining home a paycheck .

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

olepossum said:
yup me i was released from drs care in june of 08 due to a wreck near fatal in sept of 07. i am goin on 20 months and am getiing very fat and fell depressed because i am not bringing in a paycheck. have sold all saleable coins and guns. thank goodness i can tattoo i bring in a few dollars xtra. economy around here for house building sucks and the local work force is full of legal misfits from temp services and a lot of illegal workers get paid and deported on friday and back to work in 3-4 days . so i hope tattooing takes off i have been doing 2-3 benjamins every other week really need more .but hey i have a great home paid for 2 awsome kids and a very understanding wife. and she dont have to do the laundry dishes or house work .so i guess i am ok but would rather be building houses and brining home a paycheck .

One very powerfull tool I learned to use is Google adwords. You use phrases like " [Austin Tattoo]" (the brackets are very important). So, when people google those words, your ads come up. Right now, it's my main source of income. Some 'weeks', I'll make 7 grand (my best one yet). Other weeks, I'll only make 600 (last week). Sometimes none. Be carefull though, because if you set the adwords configuration the wrong way, you'll end up owing google $70,000. (there are real horror stories like that out there).

PM me if curious. It's a real deal. You just have to set it up which is not difficult.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread