Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
practical joke # 5 - Where's Bruce?

ahh, the good old days of the 70's, when times were so different.

Like always, my best ideas came in time of boredom in the office. My department as I mentioned was affectionately known as the "Zoo", so we had to live up to the name.

In the documentation department we had 1 clerk that handled all of the out-port Bills of Lading. These were B/L's from local customers that had shipped from ports other than NYC. So every day we were always getting calls from the other office in Norfolk, VA, Savannah, GA, etc., to release the B/L's to the local customers here. Although that wasn't my job, we all had to fill in at lunchtime to cover that desk.

After a few months of not having fun, I decided to create a new person to handle that desk. One day Bruce was born, and no one would forget him. Bruce was a soft spoken man with an effeminate voice and a lisp. Bruce ended up working that desk as much as he could, so all the offices got to know him well. At first they were a little taken back by Bruce's voice and would sometimes laugh, or giggle just listening to Bruce complaining about a broken fingernail. Bruce always worked hard and made sure the job was done, even though he seemed a bit off kilter.

Well several months passed and Bruce was doing a bang-up job by anyone's standards. One day Bruce's career came to a screeching halt. That was the day Bruce didn't get to the phone before a supervisor did. When the office asked for Bruce, the supervisor asked Bruce? We don't have a Bruce working here. Apparently the supervisor learned otherwise, there was a Bruce working there for months, and then they described his voice. I was in earshot of that call, so I knew then and there, Bruce's days were done. The supervisor never knew who Bruce was, but he had a good suspicion and couldn't prove a thing. Poor Bruce, he will be sorely missed.

The way I look at it, the job was done well, and nobody got hurt, I still miss Bruce sometimes ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread