spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, this joke is one I pulled in the 70's and still funny to this day.

Well Christmas is a time that bring out the best in most people. For me, it brought out a great little joke that I played on 2 coworkers. Although someone dropped a dime on me for one of the marks, the other had no clue he was getting scammed.

A few in the "Zoo", had a more highly profiled job than the one I was doing. Even though I was making better money than my mark, I had little interaction with the customers. I was now a rate clerk, rating B/L's some several tariffs.

My mark in this case was Sam, a middle aged and quiet sort who was in charge of special accounts i.e. DuPont, Kodak, 3M, etc.. Sam was in charge of making sure these customers got 1st priority when it came time to release the B/L's. For this prank I needed a little more insight as to who Sam was working with from the various companies. So I made a trip to the 6th floor to visit with the sales manager. I was bending his ear for a while asking who he was working with at DuPont. I then produced a card and asked him to write to Sam, from Joe. The manager was asking why I was doing this, I just mentioned that Sam needed a little pick me up around the holidays. Once I had the signed card in hand, I had to set the rest of the joke into motion.

At that time, we were using old mimeograph machines, the kind that used large rolls of paper. I had secured one of the rolls, and left it under my desk for future use. My next trip was to the bar next door, the I was able to get an empty box of a 1 gallon sized Chivas Regal; then on to a store up the block to get wrapping paper. I returned to the office and load the paper into the box and proceeded to wrap it. Upon completion, I taped the card neatly to the top of the box. My nest move was to get one of the messengers that used to make the runs for DuPont and asked him to deliver my little package to Sam. Sam was a wise man, had I done this any other way, he would have been suspicious and caught on.

Well all went as planned, the gift was delivered as we were all sitting at our desks asking Sam to see what it got. Sam was the one person who you never attempted to play a joke on. He was always saying that he had an eye on everyone. He first opened the card and read it, then opened the paper to reveal the bottle. He never opened the box in front of us, so we were egging him on to give us a taste. True to his form Sam replied, I have so many of these bottles at home and just wrapped in in a plain paper.

Sam and I at that time both had to take the PATH train to NJ to catch other trains, we walked together with Sam holding tightly to his little gift. This was just before Christmas and Sam was on vacation until the New Year. Upon his return we asked if he opened the box. Sam said he never did and everyone was arguing this point for a while.

A few years later Sam finally admitted that I had gotten him.

It took some time, but it was worth it. I always wondered if he threw a party and had friends come over to share that bottle. I just wished I could have seen his face. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread