spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 70's our company paid us every other week, so one Friday I wanted a little extra cash in my pocket for the weekend and I came up with this scheme.

Vodka Raffle $1.00

The preparation was done earlier during that week, actually on my lunch break. I normally ate my lunch everyday at this Irish bar next door to our building, so I was friendly with the cooks, manager and bartender. I asked the bartender to save me an empty bottle of Stolichnaya, which at the time was a popular Vodka. Along with that I asked if he would be kind enough to soak off a tax label. Once I had these two items the game was on.

I returned to the office and filled the bottle with water, once dried, I glued on the tax label. It was easy enough to announce that I had a quart of vodka to raffle off for $1.00 Seemed like everyone in my office was interested, so I took a dollar and had them write their name on a post-it and drop it into a paper bag. Word spread to the Import department next door, and they were all waving a dollar at me. I told them the raffle would go off late afternoon in my office. I even bought a raffle to make it look good. Why not try and win back my prize I told them. A few even bought 2 raffles. I think I ended up with nearly $35.00 which was good money back then.

The raffle went off without a hitch and the winner was an older man from the next department. That is when I announced to my office that I wanted a little extra money and that there was no real prize. I told them it's worth a dollar to be in a good joke. Luckily they all agreed, having known me for some time now, they figured that sometimes there's a cost for entertainment.

Well, the next Monday I never heard the end of it from that sore loser. I just played dumb and asked if the tax seal was firmly affixed. When he replied yes, I told him to call the liquor company and just walked away.

So be careful in any office raffles :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread