spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no getting away from it, I love sales. I love the competition and meeting new and sometimes interesting people. What I like most is is being able to portray yourself both as a professional and perhaps a unique individual. One thing, I am not your average straight laced salesman and will never again fit into a corporate mold, nor would I want to. That is whats makes me successful to a large degree. Most will make calls with what I call a fake personality, you know that big opened mouth smile. I see that and I know the guys a waste of my time, nothing but a phony. When I first meet a customer, I am business, but perhaps with a bit of a humorous edge, just so I can get a feel for the person. After one, or two calls, we are already comfortable with one another. Most of my customers have stuck with me from business to business, even in different fields.

Well one day I had a lunch meeting with one of my old customers and introduced him to my Vice President and Sales Manager. We had decided to go to a Thai restaurant, that I have frequented one many occasions, so I know the food is good. We enjoyed our meal and talked some business, and some general conversation. My customer was complimenting the food, and especially liked the salad dressing that is some type of peanut sauce. Then it came to me, most Thai dishes have some type of peanut in them to begin with, so it was time capitalize on this.

I just started talking about the origins of Thai food. (Like I really know anything about it, but I do sound like I know what I'm saying) I then started to inform them on how the peanut was introduced to their cooking. I told them 3 words George Washington Carver. I went on to say how George Washington Carver left the US after all his experiments on the peanut here and then went to Thailand to retire. I explained the George as the type that couldn't retire and introduced the peanut to Thailand and all its uses, especially in cooking.

I tell you I had 3 really interested people listening to me and I was only spinning a yarn. I continued this for another 2-3 minutes embellishing any fact I could, because I knew I had them hook, line and sinker. Well it was time to end my story so I said that the people of Thailand really appreciated his knowledge and funded him, making George Washington Carver the first tycoon.

Don't get me wrong I am far from a racist, I thought it was too funny to pass up the opportunity.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I appreciate the humor and like your style . Don't know if this post will last long , though . There will be somebody out there that gets all butthurt .
Jim

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me, I understand completely, and just hope it's taken in the joking vain. Besides, it's what you read into it, that would lead you down that path. Like I said, I came up with that at the spur of the moment.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story, I too fancy myself as a 'fair salesman', once I had a load of fossil trees trunks to sell, the owner of the store was hesitant saying, ' I don't know winter is coming on', so I say, these fossils don't eat a thing, so after consulting with his wife, I sold the whole load. :laughing7:

Fossis.............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions