mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The SS agency is paid to turn you down, I swear.

Most of you know that my sister has terminal breast cancer - we knew it when she was in the hospital, too.

It didn't mean one dang thing. We applied 3 days after the surgery (when we found out how extensive her cancer was), and it still took 2 years.

Meanwhile, back at the home state, if anyone, anywhere - tells me anything, about Governor Richardson - I blow my cool - while waiting for Social Security, Governor Richardson's was of taking care of those who have always taken care of themselves, is to say - screw you. No medical assistance for you (my sister got fired from her job for having what was probably terminal cancer at the time, and definitely now) - if you are a Native American or a migrant worker - here, take all the money, here is rent money, here are food stamps, here are some schools for your children, and here is all the medical help you could ever need - if you are a 58 years old white woman who has worked all her life - you qualify for..............nothing. YOU, are an indigent. ??? Ah, tax dollars at work. I hate that man. (luckily, my sister had planned for a possibly extended stay, and had paid all her bills, including her rent for months in advance, but she still was denied chemo and radiation-and the second round of surgery. - She ended up having to go to a different state for the help - Massachussettes). But, the judge actually ordered that she get even the 5 months when she went to the hearing, because the judge was pi$$ed off with how the state, etc., had treated her. They CAN, if a judge orders it, pay those months - AND, if your illness falls within certain guidelines, you can get medicare even before you qualify for it. (like end-stage diseases).

In the 15 or 20 years that I have helped people get their social security (I was an "advocate"), every single one got their SSDI, and almost every single one got jerked around. I have seen 2 - count them - 2 - out of about 40 or so cases that got involved with, get paid right away - one was end-stage renal disease (and then they modified it, for awhile, because he could supposedly work 2 days a week (he had to go to dialysis 3 times a week for 10 hours), and a lady that they had told her she didn't qualify because she wasn't going to die for a year or so - she had end-stage lung cancer - got that one through about 6 weeks after I got involved. (back then, I used to know all the judges and all the other advocates, and most of the SS people at the local office).

Actually, I believe that this kind of "system" that the Social Security offices have, wastes more money than anything else. They hire 100's to look at your paperwork and deny you - not to mention the fact that, it ties up judges (some who end up traveling hundreds of miles from hearing center to hearing center every week) and, the kick-backs that go to the lawyers. (because people get overwhelmed). Who wants to screw with
all this crap when they, or a loved one is sick - I mean REALLY?

Beth

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Seamuss said:
Montana Fireball said:
Too bad you can't work to support yourself.
There are things he can do for a little extra income but he has to be discrete how he does that so the "system" does not catch him or it's the end of his checks coming in.

He can legally work, if able, as long as the wages don't exceed his monthly benefit amount. I don't recall if it's the weekly or monthly wages that have to be under the set amount.

NGE, I know you don't need to hear this, but I'd wager that you could have been approved after two years if the lawyer wasn't involved. This is just my observation after seeing people with and without lawyers going through the system.

When I see people with substantial medical evidence backing them up with their claim, my advice is to not use a lawyer. If you have the evidence and state your claim as it is, you still get the standard two denials, even if terminally ill. However, I have seen people get approved as quick as three months.

Someone at SSA told my friend that everyone gets denied the first time around.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that in some instances, you do NOT need a lawyer.

The problem that some people have is that they do not know what they need to take with them - what proof, which doctor's need to get involved, etc.

Pretty much, if you have all your poop in a group, you can go to the hearing by yourself. And, 99% of the time, you end up at a hearing.

One suggestion I have is to skip the first appeal - go right to the hearing (you have the option), and that will save you a few months.

Just make sure that when you go to the hearing, that you have all your evidence updated. (which means having all your doctor's write brand new statements - the judges don't like it if they think that you haven't needed a doctor since the first application).

Beth

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Excavator said:
NGE, I know you don't need to hear this, but I'd wager that you could have been approved after two years if the lawyer wasn't involved. This is just my observation after seeing people with and without lawyers going through the system.

When I see people with substantial medical evidence backing them up with their claim, my advice is to not use a lawyer. If you have the evidence and state your claim as it is, you still get the standard two denials, even if terminally ill. However, I have seen people get approved as quick as three months.

Someone at SSA told my friend that everyone gets denied the first time around.
My friend was approved in about 3 months. I think the key is what Beth said. You need to have your papers in order. And you never need to pay a lawyer up front. Its like paying a bank up front fees for a loan, or paying a fee for a credit card. If you do that, chances are you been ripped off.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good point, BigCypresshunter,

NEVER pay a comp or SS lawyer up front. (or at all, until you win). The Federal Government controls how the lawyer/SS contracts are done, and how much they can charge, and the whole nine yards. Up to and including - you do not pay until you win. And the SS will send you a letter after you win that says "Here is what we authorizing for your lawyer" - and, you can appeal that, too. If its ok, then you sign the paper, send it back, and SS will send them their check, you don't have to do it.

And a Social Security "Advocate" (like I've done) doesn't get paid. There will be a paper the Advocate will sign saying that, which SS also needs a copy of. (if you have an Advocate instead of a lawyer)

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions