Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
ring_18Kfake.jpg

Calling all suckers!

It's stamped 18K but it's really cheap plated brass or if you're real lucky--gold plated silver.

So, why was this done and by whom?

Scamming isn't new. It dates back to before man.

The story:

This ring was dug on private property located in Globe, Arizona. The site was once the camp grounds for Native American (Apache) railroad workers ca. late 1800's.

It is believed that this ring was originally plated and sold as a 18K solid gold ring by the "Flim Flam Man" who was a con artist working the --deleted-- and unsuspecting people of the tent city. He would get them for all he could and then quickly moved on to the next town and batch of Suckers.

No doubt some young Indian purchased this wedding ring fully believing it to be 18K gold.

While maybe not worth much as a piece of jewelry, it's worth a lot to me for its Apache and early railroad connection.

WARNING: I see these come now and then on ebay as "Civil War" digs. That's okay in and of itself because the works or the "Flim Flam Man" spread far and wide. However, these were not worn by any Civil War soldier but probably were worn by someone visiting or living in the area long after the CW era (ca. 1890's to 1930's).

The danger today for buyers is as follows:

1. Thinking some CW soldier worn this ring. They did wear brass rings but probably not stamped 18K (although that is possible). CORRECTION - I just learned on another forum that these fake 14K and 18K rings were sold to Civil War soldiers. I wrongly assumed they probably didn't go back that far.

2. Thinking the ring is Rose Gold 18K. See, Rose gold has copper in it and looks a lot like this ring if buried a long time due to the copper in the alloy. The copper seeps out of the gold and turns a black/reddish/pink color.

No doubt many on ebay bid high on these thinking they might be Rose gold.

And so in a way, the evil dastardly deed 14K ring scam of the "Flim Flam Man" continues to this day.

ring_18Kfake2.jpg

NOTE: The above information was gathered by those who resided in the area where this ring was dug. These stories have been handed down and you won't find them in most history books. The author is not responsible for any shootings, stabbings, or general domestic violence they may result as a result of this posting.

to be continued...NEXT TIME...The "real" Gold Coin ripoff! And yes, it is real.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat story!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Spooky said:
Did you dig that one?

No, I got it from another old timer who dug it.

Actually I bought it mostly due to it's history and Native American connection. Like you I see that as worth more than gold.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This same thread is on the Friendly Detecting Forum and there a guy just posted a photo of a collection of more modern fake jewelry all stamped 14K (listed under: Stories and Pictures of Finds).

China, Mexico, the sickO jewelry maker next door--lots of folks make fake 14K and 18K rings and jewelry today. We dig it and it has the 14K stamped in it and we do the dance.

Nuff said.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
"A 2004 investigation revealed that more than half of 22 jewelry stores around the US were selling "fool's gold" and passing it off as real.[1] By American standards, fake gold is anything less than 10 karats. If you're wondering whether your gold is real, the most reliable way to know is to take it to a jeweler, who will charge a fee for the answer."

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Story?id=336457&page=1

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Have a ring just like it. Dug it many years back in a picnic grove dating to the 1880's.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a cool find and good research you've done. I have a couple of facetious questions. What scams were taking place before man and aren't there more than 22 jewelry stores around the US? Just jokin. Most times I find more treasure in the history of a thing than the actual monetary value. Good post.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
RGINN said:
Still a cool find and good research you've done. I have a couple of facetious questions. What scams were taking place before man and aren't there more than 22 jewelry stores around the US? Just jokin. Most times I find more treasure in the history of a thing than the actual monetary value. Good post.

;D

So true, it's like that little thing I made up years ago...

It's not what something is that matters, it's what we think it is that counts.

Stuff is in the final analysis, just stuff.

Badger

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Yep, I did the happy dance last year when I dug a huge 14k cross. I took it in & had it tested & was told that it was solid brass. It looked good though, even had the pawn shop stumped.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Gibbsium said:
This is not my philosophy but this quote applies to many things scammy. Could be patent medicines from the past to modern pharma, or scammy bankers from the depression era to today. Just replace the word story with the word sale. "Why let the truth get in the way of a good story."

By the way, what you pay for that ring?

Why let the truth get in the way of a good sale.

Yep, that's the thinking of many today.

I actually purchased 2 rings (this one and one wasn't marked) for about $10 total. The old fellow who dug it is a honest person. A lot of people would put these on ebay as Civil War dug. In fact I recently saw one sell on ebay for about $50. The person probably thought it was Rose Gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread