How many of you guys are unemployed from being laid off?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have been laid off since December 1st 2008 and have not had any luck finding anything yet. I have not been without a job this long in my life!! I was wondering how many t'netters are out there in the same position. It has been tough too. I am going crazy here. Hell I cannot even find a crummy job for the time being until the economy gets better. I have sold some of my personal belongings to kind of keep going but heck there are a few things I do not want to sell you know? I have managed to hold on to my detector but now I am wondering how long I will be able to do that. And of course they say on the main stream media that the economy is getting better and the recession is over!!! My ass it is over, it may be over where they are but it certainly is not over where I am. Anyhow just thought I would see if any others on here is in the same boat, Tim

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its bad out there. lost my job in 11-06 and the last 2 years have been working part time. :-\

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually quit my job in Nov 3, 2008 as the company I worked for owed me money in unpaid sales expenses, phone, gas, tolls, and unpaid commissions. In the original company, I was promised a partnership once I built up the business. This I did, and increased the company by over 200%, earning over 2 million in sales before the guy sold the company. The new owners said I owned none of the prior accounts and would only pay commissions on new business and that never happened either. I would have been laid off by early Dec as I saw the handwriting on the wall, but I am not entitled to unemployment because according to the state my reason was not a good one. According to the state so long as I got a paycheck that was enough! My actual out of pocket for non reimbursement was well over $1100/month. Sorry, I may look dumb, but I am not stupid. If I am not being compensated, I have no reason to enrich someone else.

This year I started my own company as a commissioned sales rep and have been competing against my former employer, and have pulled many of my accounts and hope to have all my business by June. I am now in the process of suing them for their unjust gains and hope to win.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I still have a job but due to the economy and weather haven't worked much. I've had to sell most of my relics to make ends meet.
Spartacus. I understand where you are coming from. With the economy the way it is the companies are screwing the employees over all the time. Last year we lost some benefits and had to take a 10% pay cut. Right after that the company hired some new people who were foreman and superintendants that had been laid off from other companies. The company started them at more than what we were making and when they found out some of us were upset about it they called a meeting and told us if we didn't like it to quit. They said there were plenty of people looking for work and they didn't need us. I've been with this company about 4 years but some of the guys they told that to have been there over 10. It's messed up the way employees are being treated now. One day it may come back to bite these companies in the butt.

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
I am self employed in construction right now. I am lucky to be very busy. But at times in the past I have been slow. I think Texas has been lucky as it has not been hit as hard as some other states have. I see on the news people going without work for over a year. If you don't mind sharing, how do you do that. I guess a savings account has come in handy. I wish nothing but the best for those out there. Good luck.

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
I'm also self employed and for the most part have been my entire adult life. I started an industrial automation company right out of college and made a lot of money automating factories when computers first came out. I got tired of the stress of that after 15 years or so, and sold the company for a nice profit. I ran a restaurant for a few years after that, then sold it. For the last 7 years I've ran a sign shop. I settled into that because I was an apprentice in a sign shop during my college years... a way to pay the tuition... and I always enjoyed it. I'm really lucky to have made the decision to get into the sign business, because the downturn has not hit my industry as hard as it would have hit me had I still been in industrial automation or restaurants. When the economy goes south, the one thing businesses look for is ways to attract more attention to themselves, so signs, vehicle markings, etc all suddenly become important. I'm not getting the high end glitz and glamor work as much any more... mostly the low end "please look at me" sort of stuff, but if anything my business has picked up through this downturn.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nyiangelo said:
If you don't mind sharing, how do you do that. I guess a savings account has come in handy. I wish nothing but the best for those out there. Good luck.

I lived off my savings while trying to build my business. Although almost depleted now, I am starting to get a return on my effort in doing my own thing. I hope to be where I was in salary in 2002 by middle of next year. I wish I could do it sooner, but I am being realistic. In my area, salaries have been dropping steadily over the past decade. Although many companies do treat their employees well, there are a vast amount that are taking advantage of the dire situation here for sure.

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was laid off August 08 due to a company merger. I spent eight months trying to find a job that would give me the same income I was used to but couldn't find one. In March of 09 I took a job that paid 33% less than what I used to make just so I could stay up in my field. I still sent out resume's and looked almost every day for something better but have only recently started getting calls for interviews. I too have started selling off my possessions to survive but have managed to hang on to my detector and relics. I keep telling my self that things are getting better and I just have to hang on a little longer. I have another job interview this coming Thursday and if I get the position it will put me within $3000 of what I used to make a year. It is really hard to go from a $63K a year job to a $40K a year job when your bills are still the same.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lost my job back in 05 when my plant closed down. I was out of work for over 2 years, lost my home, and truck I had to file bankruptcy. I finally found work making a lot less then what I made before. I have sold a lot of stuff over the years to pay my bills. I still set up at flea markets and garage sales for extra money.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Job lost July 1008.

Nothing but part time jobs out here.

Living on Food Stamps, sold everything of value and running out of time.

Unemployment ran out in Aug 2009. This SUCKS!!!!! :help:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread