Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't recommend this

This is surely stupid and dangerous, but we were kids so what did we know :dontknow: We would "Train Surf" on the subways, or els. Back in the 60's a majority of the trains were still in service from the 30's and 40's. These cars had wide step platforms entering the cars, and the doors had a good sized place to grab on to. We would pick the last car, when the train was starting to roll off the station you would jump on and ride it as close as you could to the tunnel, then jump off. Riding in-between cars was also preferred over siting inside them. It felt great to straddle two cars by standing on the outer platforms, especially when you hit curves. I guess anything for a little rush, or excitement.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I don't recommend this

Did you get back the same way?

When I lived in NYC, I used to ride inbetween the subway cars. I hated being squashed inside the cars (and more than squashed :tongue3:), so I would get on and then go out the door and ride inbetween the cars. I especially did it when I was pregnant.

B

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mrs.oroblanco said:
Did you get back the same way?

B

Yes, just walked across the subway platform and waited for a ride back to the top of that same station. We didn't ride it trough the tunnels, I am not that crazy :tongue3: But at least you know the thrill of riding between the cars, especially in the summertime, you had a great breeze out there.

diggummup said:
And here I thought bumper riding was cool when I was a kid.

That still was fun too, especially if you were wearing roller skates. The only way to travel was on the back of the old buses and hang on for dear life :laughing9:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess I'm crazy then (like we didn't already know that) - because I always did it underground - that's were most of the riding was done - most of my trips (to work) didn't include the "EL" trains.

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread