Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been sitting here going through the unread posts, making a few comments, giving out a little advice and enjoying the forum. It suddenly dawned on me that although I've been metal detecting for nearly 5 years now most of my knowledge has been gained right here on Tnet. And I have learned a lot more than I put into practice. But when I hit the field it seems to go right out of my head. So, I still feel like a novice and I suppose I am. So, why and who am I to be giving advice? Kinda' makes a guy feel humble when that realization hits him. I so much enjoy the "hobby" and it is a hobby to me as I'm no real treasur hunter. I want the newbies to get off on the right foot and learn to love it as I do, so I give out advice freely and maybe I shouldn't. What the heck do I know anyway compared to the real deal guys and gals we have here on Tnet? So, if I lead you astray new guys and gals, you know where I am coming from. But I still do get out now and then and find some old rusty junque or some crappe' and marvel and wonder at what if may have been or where it came from or who last held it in their hands and I am glad all over again. And I do tend to ramble on so. Monty

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I think you are looking at it in the wrong way there Monty. Think about this, most golf pros that teach the pros are not on tour themselves. The reason is they can teach a skill and not necessarily have the skills to be an expert themselves. Yes we may have learned techniques, or even come up with great ideas, but we seem to be focused elsewhere. I am much like you in that manner, I prefer a good day out and getting some exercise and if I come across a really good find that is all the better.

A funny side note is that I ran into some golf pro on a course a few years ago and this guy was shooting off his mouth to no end on how great he was. He really was one hell of a braggart. It only took one sentence from me to bust his balloon. There was a small group of us when he was mouthing off, after his nonsense, I just said, "How come I've never seen you on TV?" My friends started laughing and needless to say he turned red and walked away.

So feel free to give any helpful advise to those that want it and let them do as they choose.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
What the heck do I know anyway compared to the real deal guys and gals we have here on Tnet?

So who are the real deal people? :-X I don't think there's much difference between us all.... well maybe I'm just a bit better looking. ;D

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
;D I.P.
I'm thinking to myself "yeah, who are these pros any way"
I'm constantly learning something here everyday and have learned things from you Jim.
Especially on ballistics
Keep posting please.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of sand gone by through my scoop but I think I am still learning myself and enjoy it. Offering advice to a newbie is rewarding only if it is helpful to them. I have gotten emails and PM's telling me to not offer tips on how to do stuff an let them earn their dues like we did. I think this is wrong as I want to help anyone that asks for help, except maybe one member that posts the dumpest posts on Beach & Shallow water. I am not sure if some of these guys are jerking my chain or really are serious.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Iron Patch said:
So who are the real deal people? :-X I don't think there's much difference between us all.... well maybe I'm just a bit better looking. ;D
True.......true.

Monty, your imput is as important & relevant as anybody elses. We all learn new things all the time & even the rookies have solid imput, & lets be honest Monty.......you are far from being a rookie. You stop giving advice & imput & TN just wont be the same. :)

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty, with over 10,000 posts and a Banner find, you ARE the real deal!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I have a lot of sand gone by through my scoop but I think I am still learning myself and enjoy it. Offering advice to a newbie is rewarding only if it is helpful to them. I have gotten emails and PM's telling me to not offer tips on how to do stuff an let them earn their dues like we did. I think this is wrong as I want to help anyone that asks for help, except maybe one member that posts the dumpest posts on Beach & Shallow water. I am not sure if some of these guys are jerking my chain or really are serious.

Everyone new to the hobby pays their dues because it doesn't matter how much you read there's still a ton to figure out. An insightful post doesn't take you by the hand to a good site! ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
We can always count on Monty for a good thread.

Monty I don't think most who post a reply really see themselves as giving advice to some lesser entity. Nor do I think anyone is really all that worried about "newbies" or encouraging others to compete for the few good finds still out there in most small neighborhoods.

I think we post for other reasons we never really talk about because they somehow seem less Noble.

But for whatever reason, posting is fun so we all keep doing it.

Long ago I realized what makes the difference between a really top notch THer and a low notch one. If the proper effort is exerted the real difference is in the locations being hunted. If one lives in an area where there is a lot to dig, that one will be king. If one lives in an area where mems are in short supply, that one is a low life THer.

One can't find what isn't there to find.

Now for the good part. You're truly awesome and the best poster on TNet! Now I'll move on to the next thread and type the same compliment. :wink:

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Michigan Badger said:
We can always count on Monty for a good thread.

Monty I don't think most who post a reply really see themselves as giving advice to some lesser entity. Nor do I think anyone is really all that worried about "newbies" or encouraging others to compete for the few good finds still out there in most small neighborhoods.

I think we post for other reasons we never really talk about because they somehow seem less Noble.

But for whatever reason, posting is fun so we all keep doing it.

Long ago I realized what makes the difference between a really top notch THer and a low notch one. If the proper effort is exerted the real difference is in the locations being hunted. If one lives in an area where there is a lot to dig, that one will be king. If one lives in an area where mems are in short supply, that one is a low life THer.

One can't find what isn't there to find.

Now for the good part. You're truly awesome and the best poster on TNet! Now I'll move on to the next thread and type the same compliment to that person. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread