Is it worth picking that penny up off the ground ?(UPDATE)

Do you think i'm nuts,or will i hit my goal ?

• Hay NE Hunter you will hit your goal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NE Hunter your nuts you will never find enough

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
Re: Is it worth picking that penny up off the ground ?

the way i see it is we all will crawl around in the rain and mud, drive hundreds if not thousands of miles to "try" and find someones lost change, so why not pic them up when the occation comes along. last week in nevada my boy picked up 8 bucks and 27 cents just by watching the ground, he has a jar about half full of change that he has picked up in the parking lot out side our shop, the neighbor has a auto detailing shop,
he has found rings, old marbles, tools, flashlights ect.
we have found that old car washed produce hand fulls of quarters....3 bucks in less the 10 minutes...will be goin back there.....bank drive throus are also productive, you know the little envelope you get when you cash your check, always good for a little something, heck we even dig in the penny dishes at the stores, so far this yr he have pulled out 5 wheaties, oldest one is a 1927....

take a word of advice keep your eyes on the ground, and pick it all up......you never know.

just my two cents
lgp

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

No. I won't mess with a penny on the ground. Sometimes I do nickels and dimes always.

I only dig buried pennies when the Tesoro DeLeon shows them at 3 inches or more depth.

Like this more recent penny :)

Attachments

• penny.jpg
    penny.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 720

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

Yes, most definitely it is worth picking up pennies on the ground. Not only do I pick up pennies, but all change too. I found a "dump", in a parking lot once of 31 pennies. Bus stops, grocery store/Wal-mart check out lines, and mall food courts are hot spots for me.

The only penny that I will not pick up is if I cannot gain access to it (someone standing on it, etc.). When that happens, I look harder elsewhere to try to find one to make up for the one that I did not pick up.

I do it because my parents did it. My wife thought I am cheap and that all that change would not amount to much. In 2004, it paid for gas for vacation with a little left over. If someone else is going to help me pay my bills, go on vacation, etc. that's wonderful. I hope people keep dropping change.

You will easily reach your goal. No problem finding $60.00.

That is just my "two cents".

RON(PA)

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005

CHKNHAK said:
The only penny that I will not pick up is if I cannot gain access to it (someone standing on it, etc.).
How do you know that it is there if someone is standing on it?
Have you tried tickling?

bwilly36

Apr 1, 2005
Marion, IA

Yep, you got to keep your eyes open all of the time...last night I was at work (I bartend 2 nites a week) and I always look in the cash drawer at the change...found a 1940 nickel. I have a jefferson 1939-1960 nickel book about half full with just finds from this one cash drawer. Have also found a couple silver rosies, a bunch of wheaties, and a couple IH's. Even found a $1 silver certificate that some fool spent.

bwilly36

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Check the coin slots in newspaper machines, always the best.

Found a quarter in one yesterdy.

-GC

OP
OP
northeast hunter

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE

Well it's been one week and i am right on target to hit my goal 19 cents a day.
I will not count dollar bills because i think that anyone would pick up cash.
I am not relay looking that hard for it.It's just there laying on the ground.
Thanks for all the replies and ideas.I did find a new spot.Drive through pepole must toss there change at the Speaker's.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well you're just over a month into it NE. How goes the progress?

Every time I pick up a coin off the ground I think of this thread. :D

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

some people say finding a penny heads up is good luck, i say finding a penny is good luck whether it be heads or tails...... the drink machine reply reminds me of when my brother and i were young, my uncle lived across the road from an old store, we would walk over, look UNDER the machine and usually find enough for a drink...... coat hangers are good for retrieving coins from under a machine. good luck on your quest and i have no doubt you will reach your goal

R

rvbvetter

I'm glad you allowed up to two choices. I'm picking both. For one, I think you're nuts. But then I think everyone on here is a little nuts. And that's why I hang around here, because I'm more comfortable with my own kind. And 2, because at the rate your going, I have no doubt you'll make it. Good luck
Oh!! If you should find enough for 2 subscriptions. Just remember. I Love You Maaan!! Ol buddy Ol pal. HH

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pick it up!the hobos creed is always keep one eye on the ground

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005

Monk said:
Pick up and take care of the cents! Then the dollar's will take care of themselves.
How does that work?

KalamazooHunter

Mar 26, 2005
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300

You should check at those vacuums at the carwash - a lot of times they leave them unlocked so that if something is swept up you can retrieve it. We had an earing vacummed up in our car once so we opened it up, got our earring and saw how much change was in it! We took out all the change, then went to the next one just to look. We looked in 6 vacuums and came out with almost 5.00 in change.

L

Lcplthogersen

Money is money. I guarantee everyone would pick up a bill. I wont be choosy some random coins are worth more then bills to some people...

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I pick up every coin I see. Unless you can read it from standing up you cannot tell the date and mint mark. For some reason anything on the ground gets my attention and I just need to find out what it is so I might as well look at it. I must be addicted to finding things! Oh! No!

Ed Donovan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread