Help a couple of fellow detectorists out.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
OK I have been looking at all the good finds lately here on the forum and have the itch, bug, jones, desire, whatever you want to call it to hunt hunt hunt!!!!

I had high hopes of hunting next week on Friday in a super cool spot but that has fallen through. My hunting buddy Baldingboy and I have been banned from hunting within 20 miles of Cape Girardeau/Jackson due to insurance issues. Seems some of the City and County boys read a few of our posts here and think we are a threat to "normal" folk, whatever "normal" means around these parts.

Seriously, we have run out of places to detect that hold any hope of allowing us to find something good! So anyone out there got someplace in mind that would be a few hours driving time max from Cape Girardeau and wouldn't mind sharing it??????

If so send me a PM. Yes I know this is as close to begging as a man can get, but I'm in that bad a shape right now and begging isn't too good for me! ;D

Thanks, oh and I can tell you the City and County boys have it all wrong. BB and I are harmless, for the most part.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on how serious you feel about the issue. ......... I don't think theyi can ban you because you aren't just like everybody eilse! So, when you start being "normal" can you go back? :laughing9: Monty

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Monty they wanted to burn big W's in our foreheads for Weirdos!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course BB and I wouldn't stand for that, we might have gotten the ACLU on our side if they had pushed it.

In all seriousness. BB and I have hit a wall lately. All the good places have become impossible to detect as they have switched ownership, etc. One area where we had several prospects is in the process of being declared a historic district. If that goes through all detecting in that area is OVER! Makes me sad. Some of our really good places have been leveled, paved over and are now roads. Others have had new houses built on them.

I am being totally honest here. If something doesn't break loose soon, my Explorer is going on sale in the classifieds. :'(

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
Monty they wanted to burn big W's in our foreheads for Weirdos!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course BB and I wouldn't stand for that, we might have gotten the ACLU on our side if they had pushed it.

In all seriousness. BB and I have hit a wall lately. All the good places have become impossible to detect as they have switched ownership, etc. One area where we had several prospects is in the process of being declared a historic district. If that goes through all detecting in that area is OVER! Makes me sad. Some of our really good places have been leveled, paved over and are now roads. Others have had new houses built on them.

I am being totally honest here. If something doesn't break loose soon, my Explorer is going on sale in the classifieds. :'(
WELL some of us check out ant hills how strange is dat :hello:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Sorry about the ban. I'd like to know more about these "insurance issues."

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Sounds really odd. They banned just you? Did they take a council vote? Sounds to me like they are overstepping their authority big time. If there is no law against it then they have no case. And if they are singleing you out then you have a hell of a discrimination suit waiting to happen. Insurance issues? Well then every one else who sets foot on public property would face those same issues.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark S. said:
Sounds really odd. They banned just you? Did they take a council vote? Sounds to me like they are overstepping their authority big time. If there is no law against it then they have no case. And if they are singleing you out then you have a hell of a discrimination suit waiting to happen. Insurance issues? Well then every one else who sets foot on public property would face those same issues.

You're absolutely right, Mark.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ok ok calm down.

If you haven't read any of my past posts you might want to go and view a few to get a perspective on my particular brand of humor and sarcasm......... :wink:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recognize where you are coming from and that's why I took it light hearted. We all hit a wall now and then for one reason or another. But in my case I might lie dormant of lackadaisical for some time and then I figure out a new angle and then it's off to the races. When it happens to me I go out to my favorite"hunted out" park and bum around for an hour or two and nearly always find something to get the fire going again. We have historical districts in our city too, but it doesn't have anything to do with metal detecting as long as it doesn't make any permanent changes in the structures, design, layout or architecture of the area. Removing and replacing a plug doesn't do any of that. I know you guys will figure something out. We don't have many dummies here on Tnet. Well, maybe a few, and you know who you are! :wink: Monty

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Monty

I agree with the spirit of your post. Sadly the people pushing the Historic District angle are Nazi's when it comes to detectorists. They have already blocked my attempts to gain access to two homes. They don't want "people like me" running around when they are trying to get approved for it.

Some people are just plain wrong.....

But I'm going to keep at it.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
SOOOOO I am assuming that you were jesting a bit?

As for the historic district, on what grounds are they barring you. Has it actually happened yet? And what "type" of classification is it? If it includes private homes then they may have no grounds to bar you long as the owners give you permission. Of course they can intimidate the property owners.

You need to dig into the exact classification and the rules that govern it. If nothing prohibits it then when you ask permission have all the documentation in your hands and show it to the owners. Let them know that THEY have control of their property and not some bureucrat or their lackey.

For example.....A property listed on the National Historic Register is open to detecting if you have permission of the owner. The government has ZERO say so over it.

Check into this and don't let them get away with it. Read the specifics. Also if the property owners do get the short end and loose some of their rights then make it known. Go to the meetings, write a letter to the editor etc.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Yes there are two "purists" that think that we detectorists are a bane to society.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you well enough to know that the city council is a jest but, you are serious about things being changed to historic and or getting paved over!

Now if you are serious about a few hours for a dig, a the next town over is tearing up sidewalks! :icon_sunny:
You just gotta come here! And a good time would be around the CTH III!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Historic Preservation Districts are usually part of the zoning code. Our zoning code only applies to the things I mentioned in my first response. It has nothing to do with the use of metal detectors and they are allowed unless specifically prohibited. If you know an attorney, he/she will probably give you an opinion abut whether you can or cannot hunt those areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions