The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4:35 pm: Another broad-based wave of high-volume selling sent stocks to their worst percentage loss in more than one year, but things could have been far worse since the Dow was actually down nearly 1,000 points in its worst intraday drop on record.

Weakness was widespread for the entire session as participants showed an aversion to risk. That theme caused sovereign debt credit spreads to widen and many of the global indices to drop so much that the Dow Jones World Index fell 2.7% in its worst single-session percentage slide since February.

U.S. equities found little support as the Dow, Nasdaq, and S&P 500 spent the first part of the session with broad-based losses. Follow through selling caused a breakdown in technical support, including a violation of the 200-day moving average. Selling soon went from frantic to panic as the Dow dropped nearly 500 points in five minutes. That gap down put the Dow nearly 1,000 points into the red.

Though there was talk that a program or system error led to the cascade of selling, media reports indicated that the major exchanges said there was no error on their part.

While stocks had looked to be headed for something awful, computer programmed trades quickly clicked to buy and drove the Dow back up several hundred points in a matter of minutes. The Dow closed almost 650 points above its session low, but it still lost nearly 350 points on the session.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasn't an error. Proctor & Gamble starting to sell heavy which in turn caused the market to stop trading. P&G then continued to sell through online brokerage house at a tremendous loss of $20-30/per share. By the end of the day, P&G almost caught up with where it should have been. The news reported that it all started in Europe, where Greece is having huge financial trouble. It looks like tomorrow will be another roller coaster day, and this will not help the US one bit. It looks like this whole planet is owing each other tons of money and can't pay it when the bill comes in on their loan. Looks like still another long road ahead for everyone worldwide.

I think I am going to invest in some liquor companies, they always seem to do well in crisis times :P

Just remembered, I can't invest, I have no money :laughing9:

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
spartacus53 said:
It wasn't an error. Proctor & Gamble starting to sell heavy which in turn caused the market to stop trading. P&G then continued to sell through online brokerage house at a tremendous loss of $20-30/per share. By the end of the day, P&G almost caught up with where it should have been. The news reported that it all started in Europe, where Greece is having huge financial trouble. It looks like tomorrow will be another roller coaster day, and this will not help the US one bit. It looks like this whole planet is owing each other tons of money and can't pay it when the bill comes in on their loan. Looks like still another long road ahead for everyone worldwide.

I think I am going to invest in some liquor companies, they always seem to do well in crisis times :P

Just remembered, I can't invest, I have no money :laughing9:

I'll loan ya $20 Spart. I just invested $28 in a foreign company, Chivas Regal..........not stock but a 5th. :laughing7:

Mmmmm mmm!!! Mothers milk! :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 6a00cd971e81924cd500d09e80deb3be2b-500pi.jpg
    6a00cd971e81924cd500d09e80deb3be2b-500pi.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 111

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions