Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: BP Live Video Feed Gulf Oil Leak

TnMountains said:
Now the nation will get upset because its on Florida. A place everyone can relate to. The response at ground zero was ho hum. Now its OMG Florida! Duh. Maybe this new cap can contain some at the site.

What people do not realise is... if its just now coming ashore it will probably keep coming ashore for at least the number of day since the spill and at least that number of days after the well is capped. That's a lot of days with oil coming ashore. :help:
I was just planning my first overnite canoe trip into the pristine beautiful Everglades Wilderness Waterway to see manatees, sea turtles, sawfish, crocs, flamingos, snook, roseate spoonbills, etc. I wanted to see dolphins leap alongside my canoe, which is a common occurance. Now I may never experience the Everglades at its best it in my lifetime.

Attachments

• dead_dolphin_.jpg
    dead_dolphin_.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 175
  • dead_dolphin_.jpg
    dead_dolphin_.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 178

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

They say the Exxon Valdez will take decades to clean up, and may remain for centuries.
How much longer will it take to clean up this much larger spill?

Cleanup crews will most likely only capture a fraction of the oil spilled.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/weekinreview/06marsh.html

Estimated gallons leaked. 10 million per day. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/26/bp-oil-spill-live-feed-vi_n_590635.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/26/bp-oil-spill-live-feed-vi_n_590635.html

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And they said it is calfing season for the dolphins ! :'(

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:

Grand Isle is was my favorite fishing area, in and around Barataria Bay, the marshes around the barrier islands. Queen Bess Island is the pelican nesting grounds, it does not state that in the above video. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-oil-spil-20100608,0,7017018.story

Are all these reporters from various TV stations, CNN, and newspapers just standing around awaiting a story to tell, or are they pitching in to help with this mess?

What about those booms, what are they doing with the oil saturated ones? Proper disposal?

Fish.jpg
Are these happy days gone forever?​
fishing3 (2).jpg
Once A beautiful day @ Barataria Bay​

:'( RR

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 193
  • fishing3 (2).jpg
    fishing3 (2).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 190

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

This is an oil spill of enourmous proportions. It can not all be cleaned up. Clean up crews will only gather a fraction of the oil. Chemical dispersants will remove the most but they are as dangerous as Agent Orange and we do not know the consequences of using such enormous amounts. According to my links, oil will be washing up on our coasts for decades.

The sad truth is the damage is already done and the Gulf area may not be the same for a century. I just hope that the Evergladers wilderness areas are spared and the Keys will somehow survive but it doesnt look good. I feel sad for the gulf coastal regions.

As far as pictures they are of the utmost importance to show the truth of whats happening and someone has to show the truth to the world.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Jeep said:
I ain't too worried about it.

Just another media and government dog and pony show.

BP knows what they need to do and they said it on the first day of this debacle.

The relief wells have to be drilled to put a permanent end to this.

Being old has it's advantages because I remember a much worse blowout in 79.

The deepwater well IXTOC blew out in the gulf much deeper at 2 miles and with more daily release
of 30,000 Barrels a day, not gallons but barrels.

They tried containment and all the crap they are doing now, except that then they had a stupid
name for it, i think it was El Sombrero or something.

Anyhow, it was just about a year later that it was capped in the spring of 80 i think.

The fish survived, man survived and people still laid on the beach and got brown.

This one too shall pass as soon as the the media finds a new target.
The BP spill was leaking 10 million gallons a day. I dont know what that is in barrels but I thought that this was the worst since the Exxon Valdez, which BTW they still havent recovered. So I researched it and you may be correct and here is the link. It happened in 1979 in Mexican waters and they are finding tar balls there to this day. . Thousands of baby Kemp's Ridley sea turtles had to be airlifted to a clean portion of the Gulf of Mexico to help save the rare species.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/w...6/08/spills_damage_could_persist_for_decades/

Im sorry I do not like your comments or your attitude. You must work for BP. Of course man will survive and you can go to the beach and get brown but you will be cleaning tar off your feet and the chances of enjoying a beautiful day of wildlife viewing and fishing will not be the same. You will definitely see fewer birds, turtles and dolphins. The Exxon Valdez spill of 11 million gallons killed as many as 700,000 sea birds and 5,000 sea otters initially, and even 21 years later, populations of sea otters in areas of Prince William Sound have not recovered.

The Pacific herring population collapsed after the spill for reasons that remain in dispute among scientists. Two intensely studied pods of killer whales in the sound suffered heavy losses in the spill and have struggled since. One of the two pods has no more reproductive females. It is doomed to extinction

The commercial fisherman are already going under. Tell them the fish will survive. ::)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I was in a rush when I wrote the last post. Maybe the comparisons to Chernobyl are unfounded and the Gulf will recover someday. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Jeep, but I firmly believe that these losses are unacceptable. The threat of one turtle or whale species going into extinction cannot be taken lightly. The Everglades mangrove backcountry and Florida Keys are an area of pristine crystal clear waters with abundant fish and wildlife, and some of us want to keep it that way.

BtW jeep do you work for Big Oil, own stock in BP or something? ;D

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:
I was in a rush when I wrote the last post. Maybe the comparisons to Chernobyl are unfounded and the Gulf will recover someday. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Jeep, but I firmly believe that these losses are unacceptable. The threat of one turtle or whale species going into extinction cannot be taken lightly. The Everglades mangrove backcountry and Florida Keys are an area of pristine crystal clear waters with abundant fish and wildlife, and some of us want to keep it that way.

BtW jeep do you work for Big Oil, own stock in BP or something? ;D

I work for no man or corporation, own no stock and have not a care.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and we both have stated ours.

I have been around too long and seen this rodeo before to get upset about it.

Either you can do something about it or you can't, I won't fault you for either.

Have a great day and HH

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Jeep said:

Either you can do something about it or you can't, I won't fault you for either.

Have a great day and HH
We cannot do anything about the wildlife already lost and extinction is forever if it gets to that. We cannot do anything about the jobs and livelihoods lost in the seafood industry. I certainly dont believe this is a media rodeo or "dog and pony show."

As far as "do(ing) something about it," I will know how much I will be involved or how much it affects me personally when it reaches South Florida. I always do what little I can to help our environment. What Im doing now by writing and posting pics may somehow help.

I also think something can be done about it to make sure it doesnt happen again.

I wont fault you for doing nothing to help (if thats the case) but reading your statement makes me wonder where you live and if you enjoy our nations wildlife, the outdoors and the beauty of our natural environment. :icon_scratch: I wonder if you have ever experienced the crystal clear waters of our Florida Keys or Carribean Basin. :(

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcypresshunter said:
Jeep said:

Have a great day and HH
We cannot do anything about the wildlife already lost and extinction is forever if it gets to that. We cannot do anything about the jobs and livelihoods lost in the seafood industry. I certainly dont believe this is a media rodeo or "dog and pony show."

As far as "do(ing) something about it," I will know how much I will be involved or how much it affects me personally when it reaches South Florida. I always do what little I can to help our environment.

I also think something can be done about it to make sure it doesnt happen again.

I wont fault you for doing nothing to help (if thats the case) but reading your statement makes me wonder where you live and if you enjoy our nations wildlife, the outdoors and the beauty of our natural environment. :icon_scratch: I wonder if you have ever experienced the crystal clear waters of our Florida Keys or Carribean Basin. :(

Once again your opinion is your own

My primary residence is TX.

I own property in many states

I travel a lot as I wish to these property's and enjoy all of the changing environments.

I am not the POTOS, EPA or the Sierra Club. Your argument is moot.

My days of fighting wars and protesting are over.

It is now your turn as I am too old and too tired to care.

I have laid down my sword, it is time for you youngin's to take up the cause's facing this
ever changing world and our great nation.

I salute your fire and determination and hope you can make a difference.

As stated earlier I will be at my condo at the Fla. gulf coast next month and if I see any tar balls
I will be sure to hit them with my cane and lobe them into the nearest trash can.

Don't take my rhetoric as a personal attack or lackadaisical attitude.

It's just my way, too many war's and to many causes along the way combined with age can make
you that way.

Hope it works out for you and the environment, I really do.

Have a great day. :thumbsup:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Jeep said:
As stated earlier I will be at my condo at the Florida gulf coast next month and if I see any tar balls
I will be sure to hit them with my cane and lobe them into the nearest trash can.

LOL You have a great sense of humor.

I was thinking of removing my posts because I didnt want it to look like an attack on you but now Im sure you can handle it. :icon_thumright:

You have made your point that life will go on. Its not the end of the world. I guess I wont know until it gets here in South Fla. how much damage it will cause.

Im not a youngster either and I must have missed the condo part. A few tar balls on an overdeveloped beachfront wont bother me either lol but the thought of dead whales, turtles, dolphins, manatees, etc and oil in the backcountry mangroves or Fla Keys bothers me very much.

Thanks for the story on the 79 Mexican blowout. I learned something. Now that I think about it, I remember back in the 70's, a trip to Fort Lauderdale beach always meant tar on the feet. I remember having to clean up with diesel fuel or alcohol every time we returned from an ocean visit. That stuff was not easy to remove and it often got on your towel or bathing suit. I think it was from a leaking tanker or something.

You have a good day too :icon_thumright: and dont forget to have plenty of alcohol on hand when you hit the beach. :wink:

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smee said:

Thanks Smee

The politics is really hurting quick action. It is not only a disaster on the shores and waters but also in Washington. There are thousands of experts in many related fields wanting and volunteering to help by the Gov. will not let them in. Each boat that goes out has to have a BP official and a wildlife official in it. There is just not enough of them to make a diffrence. If they would let the residents and volunteers help at this point what could it hurt?
Oh well 56 days now. We should treat it like a war and we are being attacked and cut the red tape.
MHO.
TnMtns

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Right now showing a in land marina a man has 5 large oil pools came in all he can do is make a phone call its been 5 hours an no one has shown up an he is not allowed to clean these pools up himself not even allowed to touch them, the BP people have to do it! Any boat that goes out has to have a BP person an a wildlife expert on board and there are not enough of them to put one on each boat. They got the booms in that area after the oil was already there. I know one other thing they know is going to happen that they are worried about ..... future lawsuites on medical from handling an breathing it.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good video I.P

I think it great work I just hope it does not take BP and the gov 3 years to test it. Lets hope it helps.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It so bad knowing that sooo very many people have lost the way to support their fanilies and futer generations to live but, also all tha animals are suffering before they die.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread