jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everett, owner of Tiah’s Coins and Currency on Fort Campbell Boulevard, has accumulated more than 550 seemingly rare coins brought in by soldiers returning from the two countries who’ve been led to believe they’ll make money selling the coins back in the U.S.

“They’re not realizing they’re committing a felony,” Everett said.
The coins are counterfeit — worth nothing more than the 22 grams of steel they’re made from.

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/art...531004/Soldiers-returning-with-fake-U-S-coins

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Hey I like that guy! Maybe he and I are related and I can get the family discount on the NON counterfeit rare US coins! That really sucks though, that those guys are getting taken advantage of overseas.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soldiers or not it's up to the individual not to get suckered. What does that say about their instints, perception, and common sense? Scary.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On base ripoff..cant seem to get any worse then that one. what a crying shame.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck in old china they would take a hypodermic needle and literally drill two holes in the botton of a bottle of booze, drain it, fill it up, seal it, and sell it to you. -- some had a weird snse of humor and filled them with pee.

Gi's have been the target since man first started his history

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's not nice to say,
But some people that take these deals are Trying to
get someting for free.

They see these Dealers over there as Fools
& Think they are Ripping them off.
only to be ripped off themselves.

What goes around Comes around in those cases.

Then you haver the Complete "Lost"
when it comes to coins & Buy them to Keep as a Souvineer
or Hopeing they have value.

The Ones Spending $400 , $800 , I Don't feel sorry for.
They are the ones that Know the Real Value, if they are Real,
& Are trying to take these sellers.

Who was it who said
"You Can't Cheat an Honest Man ?"

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Real de Tayopa said:
Heck in old china they would take a hypodermic needle and literally drill two holes in the botton of a bottle of booze, drain it, fill it up, seal it, and sell it to you. -- some had a weird snse of humor and filled them with pee.

Gi's have been the target since man first started his history

Don Jose de La Mancha

They upgraded that in Vietnam and you would get a big gulp of battery acid in your pepsi.siegfried schlagrule

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I have been living in Kabul Afghanistan for the last year and a half I have come across many of these coins. I did buy a hand full of them to bring back to my cave and research them on line. Every last coin that I bought at the bazaars in and around Kabul and Kandahar was counterfit.
All that I can recommend to our good folks serving in that part of the world is "Buyer Beware".
On another note, I also have purchased quantities of Emeralds and many other precious stones in my travels through Afghanistan. However, I did my homework first and only purchased stones that I thought were of good quality. There is still allot of trash that local vendors will try to pass of as legit stones. However, if you do a little research first, and take your time and know what you are looking for before you try to haggle with the local vendor for the best price, you can find some outstanding deals.
Theresa took the stones I sent her to a local gemologist in Florida, and every stone appraised for many times the price I payed.

Tom

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wreckdiver1715 said:
Since I have been living in Kabul Afghanistan for the last year and a half I have come across many of these coins. I did buy a hand full of them to bring back to my cave and research them on line. Every last coin that I bought at the bazaars in and around Kabul and Kandahar was counterfit.
All that I can recommend to our good folks serving in that part of the world is "Buyer Beware".
On another note, I also have purchased quantities of Emeralds and many other precious stones in my travels through Afghanistan. However, I did my homework first and only purchased stones that I thought were of good quality. There is still allot of trash that local vendors will try to pass of as legit stones. However, if you do a little research first, and take your time and know what you are looking for before you try to haggle with the local vendor for the best price, you can find some outstanding deals.
Theresa took the stones I sent her to a local gemologist in Florida, and every stone appraised for many times the price I payed.

Tom

Now that's the way to do it :thumbsup:

Although I would Imagine there has to Be alot of
Genuine Trade Dollars sitting somehere in Foreign Countries

I Wouldn't think there would be too many
Early American Coins. Especially not the super Rare ones.
(I would think most were traveling To america back then.
Not away from it. )

stones & Small Jewelry Items May be the Better choice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions